New AOE4 interview

Here, an interesting interview (german language) with Shannon Loftis on next Age of empires 4…

Reading this interview (thanks google translate), i’m pretty sure this game will come back to ancient or medieval times.

Assuming my reading of the choppy google translate was correct, where did it say that it will come back to previous times? All I read was that they knew fans would like to see that, but it also said they would like to see other things as well.

Thank you for this.

PC Games: Many readers are concerned, because Relic is more known for fast real-time strategy games with little or no base building. In Age of Empires, however, it was always very much about the construction of the own base and the rather slow playing style. What can you tell us to face these worries?
Shannon Loftis: We are very aware of what makes Age of Empires great. Every time we have an event like in Germany recently at the Gamescom a few weeks ago, we meet more and more people who have grown up with Age. They tell us that they have studied history because of Age, that they have become city planners because of Age. It is absolutely the case that the construction of a base and the discovery of the historical background is a large part of what Age is to Age. We intend to remain faithful to these fundamental principles.

PC Games: Another great question about Age of Empires 4 is the time period in which it will play. Many fans would like to return to the Middle Ages. There is the widespread opinion that firearms no longer really fit into the typical age-feeling. What can you tell us about the historical background of the new game?
Shannon Loftis: We are not yet talking about the era and background story. The beautiful story is that it is an almost infinite source of stories and civilizations that we can explore. That’s all I can say.

A building city mode, the construction of the base, are main principles of a 
medieval or ancient rts game. 

It’s mine opinion.

@Mehkind said:
Thank you for this.

:wink:

@nonlosojimmy said:
PC Games: Many readers are concerned, because Relic is more known for fast real-time strategy games with little or no base building. In Age of Empires, however, it was always very much about the construction of the own base and the rather slow playing style. What can you tell us to face these worries?
Shannon Loftis: We are very aware of what makes Age of Empires great. Every time we have an event like in Germany recently at the Gamescom a few weeks ago, we meet more and more people who have grown up with Age. They tell us that they have studied history because of Age, that they have become city planners because of Age. It is absolutely the case that the construction of a base and the discovery of the historical background is a large part of what Age is to Age. We intend to remain faithful to these fundamental principles.

PC Games: Another great question about Age of Empires 4 is the time period in which it will play. Many fans would like to return to the Middle Ages. There is the widespread opinion that firearms no longer really fit into the typical age-feeling. What can you tell us about the historical background of the new game?
Shannon Loftis: We are not yet talking about the era and background story. The beautiful story is that it is an almost infinite source of stories and civilizations that we can explore. That’s all I can say.

A building city mode, the construction of the base, are main principles of a 
medieval or ancient rts game. 

It’s mine opinion.

All this is saying is what people want and that they have all of history to decide from.

In this interview, Shannon says zero about the era of AoE4 and goes so far as to expressly say she’s not talking about it. Anything further in this thread is mere speculation.

@“Andy P” said:
In this interview, Shannon says zero about the era of AoE4 and goes so far as to expressly say she’s not talking about it. Anything further in this thread is mere speculation.

While the interview does mention that people do want the game to come back to medieval times, this is the fanbase and nothing from the actual age team confirming the era of this game. I don’t think the Age team would release any news this early as the first definitive game hasn’t even been released yet.

I believe that the interviewer says that. She doesn’t mention it at all.

gentlemen, it is good news that microsoft has confirmed that it wants to develop the 4th chapter of the series, keeping the roots of the AoE franchise. They said they knew well what were the mechanics that brought glory and fame to the AoE series, and that they are going to develop the 4th chapter while keeping faith in these dynamics. The fact that Relic has developed games with faster and more frenetic mode does not mean that they will also do AoE 4, because it clearly states that Microsoft wants to stick to the traditional style of building its own base with “pretty slow” gaming style .

@CostlierParrot3 said:

gentlemen, it is good news that microsoft has confirmed that it wants to develop the 4th chapter of the series, keeping the roots of the AoE franchise. They said they knew well what were the mechanics that brought glory and fame to the AoE series, and that they are going to develop the 4th chapter while keeping faith in these dynamics. The fact that Relic has developed games with faster and more frenetic mode does not mean that they will also do AoE 4,** **because it clearly states that Microsoft wants to stick to the traditional style of building its own base with “pretty slow” gaming style **.

This is the reason that makes me think to a medieval theme for next age. A ww2 is not a slow gaming style.

@nonlosojimmy said:

@CostlierParrot3 said:

gentlemen, it is good news that microsoft has confirmed that it wants to develop the 4th chapter of the series, keeping the roots of the AoE franchise. They said they knew well what were the mechanics that brought glory and fame to the AoE series, and that they are going to develop the 4th chapter while keeping faith in these dynamics. The fact that Relic has developed games with faster and more frenetic mode does not mean that they will also do AoE 4,** **because it clearly states that Microsoft wants to stick to the traditional style of building its own base with “pretty slow” gaming style **.

This is the reason that makes me think to a medieval theme for next age. A ww2 is not a slow gaming style.

it could be. But even AoE 3 had guns, rifles, rockets and “fast” weapons over AoE 1/2, and I love AoE3 very much !! It might also be that the game is developed during the Napoleonic wars and / or Victorian period.

I don’t think she clearly indicated anything. It was a normal interview.