New Civ concept: the Venetians

So as promised, here is a desing for a potential infantry UU (from the castle) for the venetians, that could substitute the cav UU.

It wasn’t easy at all, to find a balanced and unique infantry unit, since infantry isn’t used that much, and it wasn’t easy to differentiate from other UU.

The name should be Fante de Mar, but in english I guess that you could translate into marines, and this is how it should look like:

Venetians colonial infantry:
Used successfully against foot cavalry, foot foot soldiers were armed with an overturned jacket called “brigantina”, armored on the inside with metal lamellas and externally covered with velvets and silks. The armament was completed by the cover, the chain mail, the armband and the backs. He is armed with a pole-hammer and a pavise.

The stats are the following:

Stat - Castle age - Imperial age:
HP: 70 80
MA: 0 1
PA: 1 2
Atk: 8 10 (+1 from the UT)
RoF: 2.5
Speed: 1.05
AoD: 0.5
Bonus damage: +2 vs EEW, cavalry, buldings

Cost and TT: 40 food 35 gold 14 10 seconds.

So basically, its an infantry unit with the speed of berserker, less attack than the champ, but with a trample damage that don’t require an UT. To compensate that, they attack 0.5 slower than the militia line.

Now, you need to bear in mind a few things:

• I tested the unit in the editor, and it seems roughtly balanced. But I don’t have the time for an extensive testing of the unit (the triggers drive me crazy), so you are free to use the editor and tell me your opinion.
  • In theory, this UU is made to counter big numbers of units, backed by arbs. They kill easily EEW and hussars (and trash in general), and do decent vs knights (for cavaliers and paladins it depends). They die to militia line, archers and HC of course.
  • At the start, I thought of giving them an effect like the stradiots (cost only gold) or like letis (ignore armor), but both didn’t felt right for the unit, so instrad I gave them a trample damage that it’s not locked behind a UT (catas and slavs barracks units are still way better in my opinion).
  • Another idea was to basically make them into a gold halb, so less food expensive and stronger, but then I realized that it would basically be a flemish militia.

There is also the possibility to accompany the UU with a 5° bonus, of like free infantry armors, but we will talk about this later on.

2 Likes