New Civ concept: the Venetians

Ok, so after a long pause from this topic (because of the university and of vacation) I return here with a new design for a potential new civ.
I put together here a couple of both old and new ideas into a brand new design. Part of the design is copied from the duch of Aoe3 *(but I admit that I’m not too expert of the aoe3 mechanics as I’m of AoE2) and part comes from seeing how they implemented the new bonuses in the DotD DLC.

This design is a more unique and less conventional than the old one, and some people may see it as the devil itself of the aoe2 civs, not that I care too much, especially such civ is just at a theoretical level, and most likely will never be introduced…

As always also, I’m not interested into discussing if the venetians should be in the game, or what civs should take priority or not. This design however (both whole or its pieces) can anyway be used for other civs of other cultures.

So here it is:

New Venetian Design:

• Villagers cost 50 gold instead of food.
    Shepard, hunters and foragers work 50% slower than other civs (like Kmer farmers). They also start with minus 200 food.

• Have access to the Fondaco building (the unused Trade Workshop), an unique building that can works as a gathering point. Each TW built progressively increases the gold gathering and generation speed.

• Archer line units move +5% faster.

• Fishing ships gathering from shore fish also generate a bit of gold.

• Instead of ECG, they have an unique upgrade for the cannon galleon the Galeass. The Galeass have more armor and HP than the CG, and can garrison units (infantry, foot archers and vills). Similarly to a tower, the last vills and foot archers add secondary projectiles in the form of arrows, which are faster than the cannonballs.

• TB: Docks gives you +10 population.

Unique Tecs:

• Castle - Arsenale - Docks and siege workshops works +50% faster. It also makes villagers cost food like other civs.

• Imperial - Mude - The Fondachi bonus affect the relics gold generation and trade. Fondachi cost 50% less.

Unique Units:

• Schiavone - a fast infantry unit that cost only gold, but doesn’t need upgrades, except the elite one. In the castle age, is unlocked at the trade workshop. Cost 70 gold.

• Stradiot - similar to the schiavone, but it’s a cavalry unit trained at the castle. In the castle, the elite upgrade affects both the stradiot and the schiavone. Cost 100 gold.

• Galeass - have 170HP, 6PA and a secondary attack in the for of arrows, each with 1 damage, and +3 bonus damage vs ships. They also have +10 carry capacity. The other stats are identical to the ECG.

• Fondaco - The trade workshop (I’ll refer at it as TW for convenience), renamed fondaco for historical accuracy. It have 2000HP and it’s available from the dark age at the cost of 200 wood. It boost gold mining speed. After a UT, it also affects relics and trade.
    It can also be used as a gathering point for all resources, but can’t research eco upgrades. The first Fondaco gives a 10% boost to the gold miners, the second one a 8% boost, the third a 6% boost and so on. After building the 5th TW, the bonus stays at 2%.

Tech Tree:
(listed only the lacking units/upgrades)

Archery Range:

• Cavalry Archer (and consequently HCA, and PT).

Barracks:

• Champion, supplies.

Stables:

• Hussar, cavalier, bloodlines and husbandry (and consequently paladins).

Siege Workshops:

• Siege onager and heavy scorpion.

Docks:

• Heavy demo and galleon.

Monastery:

• Heresy and faith.

Blacksmith and university:

• FU

Eco upgrades:

• Crop rotation, gold mining and gold shaft mining.

Everything not listed it’s present in the tech tree.

Let me know what do you think of such civ, if it could work, if it would be weak or OP, or any of your suggestions.

If this new design is appreciated, I might make it’s own topic, so here we can keep discussing the old more traditional design, and there this new one.

3 Likes