New Civ idea - Daylamites

The last armor is important for skirms, true, but this civ also have cheaper skirms with bracer that perfectly do the job with a meatshield in front, and they also have cheaper LC with full armor. Such combo can counter archers well enough. Correct me if I’m wrong, but the civ also have siege rams right? Then I think that you have enough answers to archers.

Yeah but those are all super situational units. In the moment when you counter for sure all knights (except polish), eagles, monks, siege, camels, elephants it’s enough. The unit can also build castles, so it doesn’t have to be good against all units, on the countrary, it needs to have several counter units.

The cost is also too much low, so may you should increase it a bit.

It could work, but again if the unit have bonus damage vs basically all military units, and take none from others (while you can also easily add militia and halbs) it’s still too strong.

If you don’t want to nerf them, then you need to nerf their overall tech tree. Like, making their assassin+militias+pike their only viable composition. So like remove the xbow upgrade, or bloodlines and the last cav armor.

You need to compensate the strong combo by heavily nerfing both cav and archers. For example, both cavalier and LC are quite good, and even faster, so above average. Their arbs are good (the alst armor doesn’t matter much to them) and even monks and ships are above average. Only siege is a bit below average, but still, with siege ram onestly you won’t need much more…

So you see, you wanted to make an infantry focused civ, but in reality you give them everything that is at least good.

1 Like

I am increasing to 50 gold and damage to 7/11 and bonus damage +8/+12. I am planning to give Team bonus: One of the infantry units or all infantry units are available with only golds (spearline 45 gold, militia line 50 gold in Barrack and Assassin 60 gold in castle). I include only Assassin because feudal age infantry rush would be deadly with this bonus.

I want to edit but I can’t do this for some reason, therefore I am writing my changes in this message:

I won’t give much explanation for Daylamites . It is very important race/people in History of the Middle East.

The Daylamites are a Middle Eastern civilization in introduced in Age of Empires II: The Fantard Edition. They focus on infantry and monks.

Civilization bonuses

• Barrack units and upgrades cost only food (35 food Pikeman and 45 food Longsword).
  • (Elite) Skirmisher attack 33% faster.
  • Stone Mines last 50% longer.
  • Units get 25% less damage (total 50%) from higher elevation.
  • Monks +25 hp and 25% speed (no fervor and sanctity).
  • Team bonus: Assassin is available in Castle with +25 more gold.

Unique units

• Assassin (light infantry, attack bonus against units cost more than 75 gold/stone)

Unique technologies

• Turk Mercenaries (Next 40 Cavalry and Cavalry Archer units have FU and cost no food/wood but +25 gold more).
  • Castle Network (Assassin can build castle and fire arrow inside it (equal to arbalest)).

Military

Barracks

Two-handed Swordman, Halberdier and Eagle Warrior are missing.

Archery Range

Arbalest and Hand cannoneer are missing. Other technologies and units are open.

Stable

Paladin is missing. Other technologies (including (elite) Steppe Lancer) and units are open.

Siege Workshop

Bombard cannon, Siege Onager and heavy scorpion missing.

Castle

Assassin:

Cost: 40 food 50 gold
Training Time: 13, 10 (Elite) seconds
Hit points: 55, 65 (Elite)
Attack: 12, 17 (Elite) melee
Attack bonuses: +12, +18 (Elite) vs units cost more than 75 gold/stone. +2, +3 (Elite) vs Eagle Warrior. +2. +3 (Elite) vs Standard building.
Rate of Fire: 2.0
Melee armor: 0
Pierce armor: 2
Armor classes: Infantry, Unique
Speed: 1.3
Line of Sight: 6
Upgrade cost: 900 food 500 gold
Upgrade time. 45 seconds

Castle Age Unique Technology:

Turk Mercenaries:

Cost: 300 food 600 gold
Research Time: 30 seconds
Effect: Next 40 Cavalry and Cavalry Archer units have FU and cost no food/wood but +25 gold more (100 gold Knight for instance). After 40 units, tech effect will be terminated.

Imperial Age Unique Technology:

Castle Network:

Cost: 700 food 450 gold
Research Time: 50 seconds
Effect: Assassin can build castle and fire arrow inside it (equal to arbalest).

Other technologies and units are open.

Dock

Cannon Galleon is missing. Other technologies and units are open.

Defensive structures

Bombard Tower is missing. Other technologies and units are open.

Research

Monastery

Fervor and sanctity is missing. Other technologies are open.

Blacksmith

Ring archer armor is missing. Other technologies are open.

University

Architecture and Siege engineers are missing. Other technologies are open.

Economy

Town Center

All technologies are open.

Mining Camp

Gold shaft mining is missing.

Lumber Camp

Two-man saw is missing.

Mill

Crop rotation is missing.

Market

All technologies are open.

I agree, but that brings up an interesting point. What % increase to repair speed would make it worth repairing walls over rebuilding them? Especially for stone and fortified walls this could be interesting. They would probably need to repair at nearly the same speed they build, slightly slower to account for less stone cost and the fact that completed walls have armor.

I didn’t know only completed buildings have armor. It is good to know it. Repairing also cost 50% resource. I also think faster repairing time could be strong bonus for a new civ. On the other hand, I decided to change civ completely. Old civ was kind of boring. New civ bonuses are a bit unusual for the gmae though.

So, this an infantry civ for people who hate other infantry civs.

I decided to change my first design but I couldn’t edit my topic post, thus I wrote new post 3 comments above. Now new infantry bonus is barrack units and upgrades cost only food (45 food Longsword and 35 food pikeman), Skirmisher attack 33% faster, stone mines last 50% longer etc…

It save you both the research time and gold cost you are saving 260G and 110 seconds of research time meaning you can get 2 more monks on the field for free while saving 60G while
also having the bonuses from the start.

I designed this civ as a defensive civ, therefore I chose to give Monk bonus. This civ resemble Byzantines for instance it has one important thing that Byzantines doesn’t have is raiding unit (Assassin). I don’t remember I explained Daylamite people are great warriors throughout antiquity to Mongol Invasion as well as Hasan Sabbah and his Alamut Castle resides Daylamites lands (Daylam: their native land) and his Assassins were Daylamite People. Later on, order of Assassins spread all over the Middle East.

I know it’s been a month, but I had the Idea of reworking this civ for a while and I will try my best.

• Barracks and stable upgrades 50% cheaper

• Skirmisher deal +1 damage

• Stone last 30% longer

• Mining techs 50% cheaper

• Units and buildings deal and receive 33% from elevation

• Free sanctity and fervor

• Team bonus: Trade carts have +30hp 3/3

Unique techs:

• Barracks units cost only food. (50F longswords 40F Pikemen)

• Turk Mercenaries: Replace food cost on calvary with gold at a 2 to 1 ratio up to 50F (light calvary cost 30F 25G Cavalier cost 10F 100G)

The unique unit: The Assassin

I’m torn on what direction to go with the assassin.

1. Rework their bonus damage so that instead of having an arbitrary line where they deal bonus damage it scales based on the percentage of gold cost Example: against cav archer they would deal 60% of their bonus damage.

2. They are a burst damage unit similar to the Shotel but with a charge attack

3. Every unit they attack gets poisoned. dealing 1 damage per second for 30 seconds this is canceled by monks who will prioritize poisoned units.

4. I’m unsure if this is possible in the game engine but they have a secondary attack on a cooldown where they throw a poisoned knife, they will immediately use this against any unit they attack over 2 tiles away

• As a civ bonus “Barrack units and upgrades cost only food” is ridiculously OP missing twohanded swordsmen and halberdier is irrelevant until Imperial Age. Initially I decided to only give them Barracks upgrades cost 50% but after I decided to include stable after I came up with the idea for Turk mercenary.

• I replaced “(Elite) Skirmisher attack 33% faster.” with +1 on skirms to buff their early game, and to nerf infantry plus Skirms

• Stone Mines last 50% longer is just ridiculous

*I gave them cheaper mining techs because I felt they needed some eco bonus, they live in a mountainous region, and mining upgrades are kind of underpowered.

• Units get 25% less damage (total 50%) from higher elevation. I reduced that to 33% applied it offensively and also include buildings to create emphases on placing castle on hills.

• Monks +25 hp and 25% speed (no fervor and sanctity). Free Sanctity and Fervor is strong enough and still probably too strong.

• I’m no historian but I assume based on their geography that they suffered from bandits, so I gave their trade carts extra defense an underwhelming team bonus, but I think they are already in a good spot.

• For their unnamed caste age unique tech Barracks units cost only food Because I didn’t want to remove their OP infantry bonus entire instead it is locked behind their unique tech.

• The idea behind their Imperial age unique tech is that because they would be making Infantry and Skirms I gave them the option of making gold intensive but cheap calvary putting them further on the gold clock but allowing them to overwhelm their opponents with calvary. This isn’t balanced for team games, but I like the dynamics between their two unique techs it like poetry it rhymes.

Here is how I intend for them to be played

In the feudal age, they have a lot of options they can go M@A, they can make skirms +1DMG, The cheap gold mining upgrade could help archers play, they could also go fast-bloodline into scouts, or even tower rush. In Castle age they have bonus for every unit (if you include the cheaper gold mining) so they can go for pretty much anything. They have good Monks and while their infantry and cav aren’t stronger they are cheap to transition into, They also have the option of going for their unique tech and going for an infantry rush, If the enemy sees this coming, they should be able to hold with scorpion and or archers.

In the imperial age they have a weak but sustainable and cheap army composition with their only unit FU units are the Assassin, CamelRider, and Steppe lancer. So they have the option of researching Turk Mercenaries which give a power spike at the cost of Gold I placed a limit on 50f limit because 40G light cav was too powerful, if you don’t deal significant damage you are put at an immediate disadvantage because you are out of gold and light calvary are no longer trash units. You also have two significant defensive bonuses that should help you in post imp. Longer-lasting stones and the improved hill bonus damage. use the extra castles to take map control, control the hills and extra resources, and protect your eco.

1 Like

This should be a civilization that can be included in the latest DLC

Thanks for bumping a 2 year old bad civ design

Yes, it’s quite awful. Absolutely no nuance.

More newly introduced Dravidians is very similar to my civ design. For instance:

Dravidians have 25% faster attacking Skirmisher.

This is similar to Dravidians 50% discount on Barrack upgrades.

UU also is simlar to Urumi Swordman. I think Assassin is better designed unit.

The what now
(20 chars)

Edit: why did it get censored on my post but not on yours

1 Like

My post is 2 years ago. At that time, stupid censorship didn’t exist.

1 Like

Oh ok then lol
(20 chars)