The Moravians would represent the West Slavic states of Moravia, particularly Great Moravia, which was arguably the most powerful Slavic state of the Early Middle Ages. I know more European civs are not what most people are hoping for, but I think this civ would ideally be added in a DLC breaking down the Slavs (similar to what Dynasties of India did to the Indians). Otherwise, Moravia is a significant part of Medieval history and warrants at least a theoretical look at what it might be like in AoE2.
Cavalry & Monk Civilization
Eastern European Architecture
Shield: Something based on the Medieval banner of the Margrave of Moravia:
Wonder: Nitra Castle (castle in Slovakia built by the rulers of Great Moravia).
Campaign: Svatopluk (867 - 894)
Bradatica: a cavalry unit wielding a shield and an axe. Would have high pierce armor and an attack bonus against archery range units (both would be lower than a Huskarl’s to accommodate for the Bradatica’s higher mobility).
- Bradatica was a kind of axe wielded by Moravian knights (the unit is named after the weapon, similar to Urumi Swordsmen). Ideally, the Moravian unique unit would be called a Druzhina - however, that is already represented by the Slavs’ unique tech.
Zhupans: Castle Age UT. Monks provide conversion resistance to nearby units (stacks with Faith).
- Zhupans were Moravian administrative communities which were centered around a church. This tech would encourage Moravian players to mix monks into their army comp, particularly if the enemy was also making monks.
Voivodes: Imperial Age UT. Knights and Bradaticas move 20% faster.
- If a Moravian leader was unable to lead his armies personally, he would appoint a voivode (roughly translates to “warlord”) to lead an army in his stead. Note that the Moravians lack Husbandry, so their cavalry are slower until this tech is researched. Afterwards, however, they have the fastest knights/paladins in the game.
- Monastery technologies researched 100% faster (Great Moravia was the birthplace of the Cyrillic alphabet, which was originally invented by Chrisitian missionaries for liturgical purposes).
- Castles have +5 building armor (Great Moravia was protected by a series of fortifications which were difficult to siege. Frankish chroniclers described them as the strongest and largest castles they had ever seen. Note that the Moravians lack Architecture, which offsets this bonus a bit in Imperial Age).
- Knights cost -50% food (Moravian armies were primarily composed of cavalry, and Arab chroniclers observed that the Moravians had plenty of horses).
- Animals killed by Moravian villagers do not decay (Moravian fortresses were surrounded by small villages which farmed a variety of livestock).
Team Bonus: Blacksmith upgrades are 15% cheaper.
- Metallurgy and smithing were the most important industries in Moravia.
- Barracks: Eagles; Gambesons.
- Archery Range: Arbalesters; Hand Cannoneers; Elephant Archers; Thumb Ring; Parthian Tactics.
- Stable: Hussar; Camels; Steppe Lancers; Battle Elephants; Husbandry.
- Blacksmith: Ring Archer Armor; Plate Mail Armor.
- Siege Workshop: Siege Onager; Bombard Cannon; Armored Elephants.
- Castle: None.
- Dock: Fast Fire Ship; Elite Cannon Galleon; Dromon; Dry Dock; Shipwright.
- Monastery: Atonement; Heresy.
- University: Architecture; Bombard Tower.
- Economy: Gold Shaft Mining.
Let me know what you think! If you have any changes you’d recommend, feel free to say so.