New Civs: Northern African Civ / Berbers, Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth, or Habsburg Monarchy

Guarantee it. The game is centered around Empires in the 1500s-1800s

Let’s hear your opinions.

2 Likes

I like how confident you are about your predictions. How could you guarantee it exactly? Also, there’s already a bunch of civs in the game that weren’t empires.

1 Like

Habsburg with “b”

20 characters

3 Likes

I’m guessing he’s guessing.

Habsburg is already here as Germans and Spanish

5 Likes

they will not add Austria, you can be guaranteed of that, devs have straight up said that.

if its going to be Europeans it will be Danes and Poles, there is no other options.

6 Likes

They can still put in an Alpine DLC with Switzerland and Liechtenstein and a Balkan DLC with Greece and Wallachia-Moldova xd…

i know its kind of a meme with Liechtenstein. but AFAIK Tilanus views the Swiss as part of “germans”, that was at least the impression i got from what he said about not splitting Germans up like he did in NW.

But the Germans do not have any Swiss reference in the deck, furthermore Switzerland has been independent of the HRE since 1291… and the Swiss pikeman is not exactly “wow the great representation”…

2 Likes

you mean the dogshit designed german civ, that can’t represent either the HRE, nor the Habsburg monarchy, nor prussia.
NVM other “germans” which considering Tilanus has seemingly no understanding off at all.

@MatM1996 the correct date for de facto independence is 1648 though the distancing started around the 1350’s with the institutionalisation of the Tagsatzung.

Also the pikemen is, just like the papal guard, wrong for multiple reasons allready brougt up.

1 Like

For me the Germans symbolize the HRE, that’s why it’s a weird concoction…

True, but it had already existed since 1291, what the Peace of Westphalia did was recognize its existence and independence and that the HRE would no longer try to re-annex it again…

The Old Swiss Confederacy, also known as Switzerland, or the Swiss Confederacy [6] was a loose confederation of independent small states (cantons, German Orte or Stände [7]), initially within the Holy Roman Empire. It is the precursor of the modern state of Switzerland.

It formed during the 13th century, from a nucleus in what is now Central Switzerland, expanding to include the cities of Zürich and Bern by the middle of the century. This formed a rare union of rural and urban communes, all of which enjoyed imperial immediacy in the Holy Roman Empire.

This confederation of eight cantons (Acht Orte) was politically and militarily successful for more than a century, culminating in the Burgundy Wars of the 1470s which established it as a power in the complicated political landscape dominated by France and the Habsburgs. (Here it would justify its existence as a civ in AoE 2 too)…Its success resulted in the addition of more confederates, increasing the number of cantons to thirteen (Dreizehn Orte) by 1513. The confederacy pledged neutrality in 1647 (under the threat of the Thirty Years’ War), although many Swiss served privately as mercenaries in the Italian Wars and during the early modern period.

After the Swabian War of 1499 the confederacy was a de facto independent state throughout the early modern period, although still nominally part of the Holy Roman Empire until 1648 when the Treaty of Westphalia ended the Thirty Years’ War. The Swiss Reformation divided the confederates into Reformed and Catholic parties, resulting in internal conflict from the 16th to the 18th centuries; as a result, the federal diet (Tagsatzung) was often paralysed by hostility between the factions. The Swiss Confederacy fell to invasion by the French Revolutionary Army in 1798, after which it became the short-lived Helvetic Republic.

And what do they represent of the germans? Half the elector counts were religious, nothing there at all to point that out.
Habsburgs? Nope. Heavy infantry something the germans were known for, like prussian grenadiers and Lineinfantry are completely locked behind cards and or not there at all. 30 Years war? Nope nothing at all. But we got a single czeck (more correctly Bohemian) unit the war-wagon.

1 Like

Thanks i have a minor in history and i am swiss and 1291 is mythos and less reality, which is unsurprising for wikipedia as it is wrong very often. Correctly the Old confederacy established itself as an institution less off an alliance after the 1350s.

Good point, yes it is quite a topic…

Of course, Switzerland had its great creation and expansion between the 14th and 16th centuries…from there it maintained its well-known neutrality throughout the early modern era…

I’m pretty sure if the current devs were to make Germans, they would have better representation of the Holy Roman Empire, Habsburg and Prussia. Changing old civs cannot make money, so it is difficult to see them changing completely.

We lack a time machine to go back to 2005. If there were a time machine, I would like to buy a few more stocks of Apple and TSMC first than the better Germans design lol.

2 Likes

And then they fail again with f.e. the papal guard? (Nvm the lakota clubmen) And here i thought the remaster was there to, you know, remaster.

Someday, if they can, they will deign to do the German rework of creating Prussia (you give them Frederick the Great) and rename the Germans in Austrians (you give them Maria Theresa)…

2 Likes

Don’t forget the original civs were meant to represent their namesake presence in foreign, untamed lands.

But what you said is pretty much consistent with Wikipedia. It started as a loose alliance of HRE subjects and over the centuries it was slowly consolidated as a de facto unique identity with its independence officially recognized in 1648, right?

Or am i missing something here?

Yes, it’s quite a topic…perhaps we could divide the Swiss into 2 periods: medieval (that is, AoE 2) (1291-1648): creation and expansion of the Swiss confederation until achieving its definitive independence in 1648, and early modern (that is, AoE 3) (1648-1848): several religious revolts in towns and counties and the French invasion of 1798 until the constitution of modern Switzerland in 1848 after a brief civil war…