New controversial mod

Yeah but it make the things go easier and decrease the skill gap right?

Come on man my balances suggestions is what the people want for most 11

1 Like

What is wrong with noobs that improve into this game? I dont really see the issue with that. Some extra support for lower rated players isnt really a bad thing.

I agree that it would help the noobs, but these mods are for all, so even at hight/mid-levels it can be absurd and make the ladder not that competitive or fair play. Then why we saw many pros complained about the range mode when it became offical and said it should be banned in tournaments?

That you are not improving in an rts by having a mod telling you were not to send your ■■■■■■■ scout

Fixing this should be high priority and probably as simple as randomizing the TC position by +/- 20 tiles form the orbit.

2 Likes

This mod is good because made pop out the error in map scripting.
There always will be people looking for an advantage, trying to hack the system and this is good because help to upgrade the system.
In this particular mod is no something too terrible. Almost everyone knows the possible TC’s location with great successfull margin. And know the TC’s location imo is just a 10% of scouting… it is more relevant to know resources location…

7 Likes

Is this true? is this all spawn location for TCs in arabia?
what about other maps?
we should ask T-WEST to make a video about this.

You do realize Viper commented in jest, right? He’s well aware of how players spawn in Arena and doesn’t need a puny mod that just draws a circle on the minimap.

2 Likes

I don’t see how this mod provides any advantage. That is the path I have been usually scouting for my opponents this whole time without having the circle put there (and inadvertently running into the TC :thinking:).

Maybe it is my working knowledge with rms files that is helping me there. Mods like these help everyone else understand how maps are generated.

There was some randomness in distance from centre in Arabia initially. But it was observed that the player closer to the edge has some advantages. So they made the variation zero in 1v1. The variation still exists in TG Arabia and several other maps.

The radius from the centre also depends on the map. For example for 1v1 Arabia it is 34% of the map edge length. For valley it is 38%. For 1v1 gold rush it is 41-43%. and so on and on.

4 Likes

I don’t get how this mod is cheating. Like, you can already know this and then you don’t even need the stupid circle in the map anymore. I won’t install the mod, because now I already know the TCs are in the same distance as mine, so I roughly already know where the circle that the mod show is without having the mod installed.
Also Viper is clearly joking…

1 Like

Even if it’s on the devs, making it a public mod only increases the problem and normalizes it. I especially dislike this reasoning in this example because the mod was made first before raising the issue.

Unfortunately some modders lack responsibillity and upload these cheat mods. Even if they are made to highlight a problem it’s not the right way to go about it.

We all know how big of a deal it is to lose your starting scout, so this mod gives an unacceptable advantage and hurts the gameplay.

1 Like

What’s the advantage? if you know about this and have eyes and a brain you already know where the circle is without having the mod installed…
Also banning these mods from the official site would just make them less accessible to everyone, and people would just install them manually

2 Likes

Most people aren’t aware that TC’s spawn on a perfect circle, you just assume that. Not having the visual requires more thought and leaves room for misjudgement. When the circle isn’t there the game is more interesting and based on skill, not predictable and “all visible” as Viper says.

I see no reason to think that.

Yes, they should be banned ie. removed when gaining traction.
If they are out of sight then only an insignificant fraction of players will consider installing them locally and the problem will not become widespread. Also the use will not be normalized for streamers.

1 Like

Viper’s comment appears to be in line with previous remarks on the building range indicator. This is that he is against the simplification of the game.

2 Likes

If most people aren’t awere then we should go ahead and spread the word, so it’s balanced and not just a few people know about it, which would give them an unfair advantage over everyone else…
The best case scenario the devs should add some variation to the TC spawn, because now that we know about this, we have an “unfair” advantage, mod installed or not…
Yes, the mod reminds you it exists, but in that sense it isn’t different from mods that point out idle vills, it just gives you information you already can know by yourself.
And I think Viper is joking because of the extreme hyperbole.
TL/DR: The mod doesn’t give you an advantage, the knowledge that the map generates that way does.

3 Likes

You ignore that the mod takes away variety in judgement. There is a difference between understanding the concept and having a circle on screen that spoonfeeds the information.

Making a mod is not the only exclusive way to spread understanding of this concept.

Fundamentally we have to agree that the mod is bad for the gameplay by making it predictable.

Your logic of spreading the problem to make it fair is flawed because you assume everyone wants to use this mod, which is obviously not the case.

The reality of what your resoning does is making a big problem out of a small one by normalizing cheats.

2 Likes

Is there a mod that lets you see everything gaia and birds flying over see? If not, sounds like a reasonable one that we need in the game and in ranked play. Exploring maps is so 1997… it’s way too difficult :confused:

No, I’m not trying to normalize cheats, magically having more gold, knowing exactly where your opponent is (Unless you are Vietnamese) and having a cobra car are cheats, having a circle in the map that tells you how a map generates is no more of a cheat than opening the tech tree in-game, it just tells you information that you can learn outside the game anyway, it’s not a cheat, it’s a QoL feature.
The problem here is that Arabia is predictable, not the circle itself…
By your logic the Art of War scenarios are cheats, or the tips in the loading screens, ridiculous.

1 Like

Do I really need to explain it? It’s a cheat because you get a significant advantage that the other person doesn’t have. Comparing it to tech tree or art of war is just flawed as they are available to everyone.

Also “cheat” was just one part of the argument, the other equally significant part is that it hurts game play by making it predictable.

Sure you could reply now with examples of other mods that give an advantages that the other player doesn’t have, but that is not relevant because we can judge mods case per case and choose where to draw the line.

2 Likes