New DLC - The Mountain Royals

Everyone,

They had the new DLC on the Microsoft Store this evening and I was even able to purchase it for $15.00.

It’s called The Mountain Royals.

“Prepare to embark on a legendary journey as we introduce the “The Mountain Royals” DLC for Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition. Unlock the rich history and untold stories of the Armenians and the Georgians, part of three new campaigns!”

The Armenians:
“Throw off the yoke of foreign domination and rebuild your ancestral kingdom in the mountainous terrain near Lakes Van, Sevan, and Urmia. The Armenian unique units are the Composite Bowman, a skilled archer capable of piercing even the sturdiest armor, and the Warrior Priest, an infantry unit that can fight and heal allied units.”

The Georgians:
“Carve out a sturdy kingdom in the shadow of the Caucuses Mountains and use the rugged terrain to your advantage as you repulse countless foreign invasions. The Georgians unique unit is the Monaspa, a brawny calvary unit whose strength increases in numbers.”

3 Thrilling New Campaigns:

Tamar’s Ascension:
Brought up on stories of David the Builder, the young and imprisoned Tamar ascends her great-grandfather’s thrown with elaborate plans for her busting kingdom. However, she quickly finds out that wielding such power is more than a simple matter of birthright. Can Georgia’s first queen overcome her skeptics and leave an imprint to endure well beyond her lifetime?

Thoros The Great:
The tiny kingdom of Civilian Armenia lies between hostile empires, it’s ruling family in Byzantine captivity. When Prince Thoros escapes, he embarks on a dangerous campaign to liberate his homeland, but the vengeful Byzantines are not his only foes. The Seljik Turks covet the region as well, and a ruthless Frankish crusader is pursuing his own schemes to the south.

Ismail:
The orphaned prodigy Ismail leads the mysterious Safavid Order through war-torn Persia! Will this charismatic visionary lay the groundwork for one of the most illustrious empires of the Islamic world, or will his delusions of grandeur be his ultimate undoing?

The Mountain Royals DLC for Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition offers endless hours of immersive gameplay, strategic conquest, and unforgettable storytelling. Secure your place among the legends and be part of history’s most epic moments.

62 Likes

Awesome, can’t wait to pre-order already.

13 Likes

Caucasian civs have brand new Architecture Set???

2 Likes

Sadly, no, but there are always mods. The Mediterranean set isn’t all too unfitting, though, so I’m not complaining.

3 Likes

Oh, really cool way to bring about the Persian rework as well.

7 Likes

Are you in the US or it’s the equivalent of 15 dollars in your currency?

Yeah, it’s $15.00 USD. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Heck, I’d pay $40 to get my dream civs in the game!

1 Like

20 characters of thank you

3 Likes

does this mean the new persians get steppes?
armenains would be totally out of place. gerogians i know to little for to justifiy

but i don’t really like it for persians tbh. cause it would mean they would be even more centered around cavalry and i don’t think that’s really a good idea, given that it already was their only “excellence” they had before
And they even had FU hussar, paladin and camels, so they were never short of options anyways.

The whole point of the Persians is having options. They were originally the only civ in the game with a full Stable tech tree, and a gazillion regional Stable units ruined that. Giving them Steppe Lancers strengthens their original identity. It’s a good change.

2 Likes

i think it’s really bad idea from a design perspecitcve.
it will confuse the players and only very few at the very top will figzure out when to chose which option and nobody else will be able to understnad why

as if persians wouldn’t be already only be tourney picks on hybrid maps for the top players.

btw i’m totally for a diverse open tech tree, but not in a single department like this.

I think maybe the original devs knew what they were doing, and the new devs don’t know enough for deviating from the original vision to be a great idea. The few times they did deviate, disaster struck. So it’s really smart of them to play it safe.

So maybe they’ll just be like the Chinese and Gurjaras, which is not a bad thing. It’s okay to have civs only experienced players know how to use.

6 Likes

oh, i think it’s bad design when their is to appearently basic conceptional differnece between pro and non-pro gameplay

i don’t want to make a deep dive, but it’s really not a path we should go in aoe2

Why not? Other games have factions/characters that are clearly designed for more experienced players to use. There’s nothing wrong with that, and it gives more experienced players greater reward for their skill as opposed to just being better with the same civs that newer players use.

1 Like

Armenia is the only place uniquely known for composite bows after all but two whole civs!! We being treated well arent we

7 Likes

Sarcasm?

Twenty characters, teacher. Thank you.

Tbh I thought they were gonna add more than two civs and not even a new architecture set? Back to the first two DLCs with two civs plus one old civ campaign.
I guess DoI and RoR will just be considered failed experiments then.

7 Likes

I have a feeling that Microsoft is behind such lazy DLCs and not the devs themselves.

Hopefully they will provide Byzantine architecture set for the Armenians, Georgians, Byzantines and Bulgarians in the future, which can also reduce the excessive number of civilizations in the Mediterranean set and the Eastern European set.

28 Likes