New form of harassment

Cash is king. I encourage this kind of behavior so that developer can have more money to keep the pathfinding

I don’t agree with that. The act of having multiple accounts is not the same as the act of purposefully keeping your elo low either by losing a bunch of matches in a row on purpose or starting new accounts again and again. The first one is the clear bannabkle line you can draw, the second one is what’s bad about smurfing.

As an example: I ones heard or read about a pretty good player who had a second account on which he would play when he was drunk. That’s pretty clever. The drunk account has its own fair elo, the elo this player gets when his reaction time is lowered, his judgement is impaired and he is more impulsive in what plays he goes for. Him not having that account would result in a situation much more like what we’re presumably trying to prevent here than him having his account, because every time after a drunken losing streak he’d find himself 300 points below his regular elo and would start with a few fast wins over less competitive players to get back to where he was.

A simple “ban everything” approach might not be the most fitting here.

4 Likes

But lots of them just family share to smurf for free.

Yes, agreed. I mean in unranked every time I play a game, I don’t care against who I played. I know I can play with people from any skill level (different from elo level, just the “real skill” to deal with the game), and I think it’s interesting too because you get to learn different playstyles, player strategies and see how you can learn/do better

You can be the steamrolled in a game or be the steamroller in others
 You will likely catch smurf accounts in unranked (0 or very little games played), but you can get a sense of what you can expect at difficult game levels (I don’t know
 I assume at 1500k elo the games are not supposed to be easy at all)
 But here, it’s like you getting to know what kind of “difficult” players you may get at strong levels
 Here, I don’t care if it’s a smurf/noob, the point is it’s a kind of a meeting point
 We spend some time, game a bit and take our impressions
 I usually do this in amazon tunnel
 It’s unranked, so no pressure
 it’s just train, or play whoever

Another completely different matter is ranked. Yes, it does not make any sense to use a low eloish profile to display agressive skills of 1500 elo likes

The non-smurf players at that level don’t have the skills to counter or attempt to fight that, they get literally steamrolled at mid-castle by someone in deep imperial with mega armies, they know they can’t win because they lack the skills to work 3-times faster and have 2-3 times soldiers

When a smurf player attacks, the low inexperienced elo player will generally feels psychologically ambushed
If he’s a noob player, he will freeze and instantly surrender or quickly surrender. If the attacked in not a noob but just a low elo player, the technogical disparity, the weaker economy, the fact that such low elo player is directly attacked, will force him one of two choices: 1) chose between spending scarce resources to somehow defend his base a bit before his teammates arrive and stand a minimal chance to survive for 4-5min or 2) improve economy but be streamrolled in a 2-min countdown by enemy army
 He can’t do both because otherwise the defensive plays will fold like paper tiger
 Generally, even after 1) if no team mate does not come with a sufficient strong army, the low elo player can’t do anything
 his resources are depleted, the enemy sieges
 walls breached
 it will be over in 2 min
 So the player resigns against a smurf whose score is 4 or 5 times his, even before the smurf starts his attack.

This is the kind of thing that should not happen in ranked queues. We want (lower elo) players to feel they have somehow a balanced chance with their elo level opponents, that will depend only on gameplay conditions, team-mate coordination, the so-called “luck” and not face opponents who are experts on the matter, several game levels above them
 If you don’t mind an unbalanced game and even like to socialize with every kind of play, you can go to unranked
 I’m not supposed to get a hyper agressive lightspeed matches at 600 or 700 elos
 but I know from 800-1200 it will become tougher
 and even more from that level to 1500 etc

There are different reasons for a player, who is not smurfing, wanting to keep a lower elo. Slower gameplay, they use the game to spend some extra time, or just a quiet hobby
 This is not necessarily the “professional gamer” type (you know guys like Viper or Hera, much respect :slight_smile: )We are not talking about guys who literally earn their living on video-games play or are highly skilled on them
 This depends on player interest, requires a lot of time and comes with hard work
 You don’t become good at something just because you were born with it. if you get me. You have to want to go through that path, and everyone has his own
 Becoming good at something requires passion and full commitment
 It applies for any life trade or learning skill I guess. In my case I never wanted - and don’t want - the professional gamer path, it’s simply a side hobby, no better, no worse than many out there.

I’ve had a lot of bad game experiences but, ocassionaly, there are interesting games and players. We can’t all meet at the same time, that’s normal
 But eventually, in ranked, you should find something worth it in case smurf profiles stay outside. If that is enforced, that is.

If you have an actual example of this, please post the rec, that way people can determine for you if they are actually a smurf, or if they were at your level and you were just giving up early.

1 Like

It’s not as simple as that. Put it this way, smurfs kill noobs and scare some of them off the game. Those noobs then stop playing, they don’t buy any future DLC and don’t recommend the game to their friends. We are then left with a smaller player base, so Microsoft doesn’t invest as much into the game.

If you want a healthy eco-system for the future, encouraging smurfs is not the long term profitable strategy. It’s just classic short term-ism to make a quick buck but not thinking long term. And it’s a similar wider attitude which is destroying the world’s economy in general.

3 Likes

You are completely right. I agree with you.

Other than that I think official should implement some smurf detection like this one

So that their will face opponent with their original elo home

3 Likes

Oh wow, is that like the equivalent of the s** offender registry? How do you get on the list, and is there a way to get off (no pun intended).

1 Like

It one is actually very good for our kid. I really love this idea.
This service is provided by new Chapter Clan and as long as they don’t put people name personally and discover the methodology, it would be a great tool. As far as I know they investigate the win steak and not sure what other method do they use

You can stop dramatizing, it’s not worth trying to change it. The money that a new account costs alone is enough of a barrier to prevent smurfs. If you think it’s a problem for Aoe, it’s because you’ve never played a multiplayer free to play game. I think smurfs are one of the less relevant issues right now.

A group of people using the same account is not a smurf. The term ‘smurf’ is used in gaming to describe a player in an online game that creates a new account to play against lower-ranked players or a player who uses an alternate account or multiple accounts.
And if that were true it would be quite rare, the vast majority of aoe2 players only have one account. Not to mention it would be imposible for microsoft to prove that two players are sharing the same account and punish them for it.

I’m saying lots of smurfs use family share to smurf for free, not all of them using 1 account. Smurfs, as a collective, often each use family share on their individual computers to crush lower elo players. I’m well aware of what a smurf is, the grammar in my post was just not super well worded, and you read it in a way I didn’t consider or intend.

4 Likes

I actually agree that there are other more important things to fix which are way more of an issue than smurfing, like not giving us infinite map bans, OP civs and general game related stuff like pathing . But that doesn’t mean smurfing is not a problem. And i think smurfing is a huge factor in keeping people offline in single player mode against the AI (apparently the majority of the player base).

4 Likes

Just make elo and bans have consecuences for all family share acvounts if possible

If not, yeah, there has to be a way to popularize quickplay

2 Likes

I don’t get why people suggest making family share accounts sync elo. Basically, if you’re using it legitimately, for different players, chances are they have very different skill levels. Therefore, if the collective elo is high, one player could easily drop it, and if the elo is low, a skilled player seems like a smurf. And if you’re trying to hit smurfs, they shouldn’t even be allowed multiple accounts, at least not for free, so family share accounts should be locked out. Hackers/cheaters using it for ban evasion is another reason for this. Basically, family share doesn’t bring anything to the game worth justifying the easy smurf/ban evasion options it provides, and because syncing elo is just a bad/ineffective idea, they need to be banned from ranked.

4 Likes

I wanted to tell the following somewhere on the board and this topic seems to be roughly the right topic and level of seriousness:

I got called out for alledgedly using cheats today. I don’t think my opponent noticed the feudal age medium resources start clearly advertized in the lobby name. :smirk:

(To be fair, I had tried the settings out against the AI a few times and had forgotten to list an elo in the lobby name, so it wasn’t that weird in itself that an opponent was surprised by how quick the scouts were at their berries.)

1 Like

It’s easy to complain about something in the game, but a difficult thing to propose a viable solution.

To simply ban smurfs is not a viable solution. First you have to define what a smurf is, and then you have to come up with a mechanism to determine that smurfing is the ONLY explanation for a players behavior. Meaning you have to have a way to rule out other factors such as another person using the account.

1 Like