New Matchlock technology for HC

i think a better nerf for protoguese would be a speed decrease for organ guns. that way they cant split away from mangonel shots as easily and need to at monks or cavalry to their army to counter mangonels.

turkish arena strat is fast imp into HC, not castle drop with jannisaries in most cases. so a nerf to jannies probably wouldnt change much

PS: did you really have to necro a thread that’s 2 years old?

I will never understand this obsession about “necroing” on Internet forums. The suggestion of martchlock tech was back then and still is a good suggestion to balance gunpowder civs, which right now need it more than ever on Arena.

because the context has changed so much in the meantime: Since January '21, ie when this thread was last active HP, accuracy, attack dispersion and projectile speed of hand cannons have changed.

also by posting here you give an illusion that this is relevant to the previous post when most of hte stuff you are writing has nothing to do with this tech

1 Like

Uhm, arena is dominated by portuguese, turks, bohemians and burgundians. Thats 3.5 gunpowder civs.
If anything, they need a nerf here.

Why keep non arena players spreading this bs? That’s simply not true. Really don’t get it. That’s a low elo strat and won’t work vs decent players. Turks on arena either is castle drop jannis or light cav boom into hussar ca bbc or something like that (if they push fast you can go hc instead of ca here but you do that off 3 tc).

4 Likes

Historically (evidence at Bosworth Field in particular) Handcannons were used at very close range, with teams running to the flanks of engaged units and opening fire, almost like shotguns.

With that in mind, I think it would make most sense for Handgun range to be substancially limited (but with damage buff) and an arquebus technology adding the range necessary to compete with archers, though they should never be able to match them for rate of fire. Maybe arquebusiers could also have a melee attack

I actually say the opposite.

I think this matchup it’s good as it is currently.

I would only like to see more Infantry play which then ofc is harder countered by the HC than Arbs. This would put HC already on a nice spot.

Would be an interesting tweak indeed. I insteadm had the idea to further decrease the HC accuracy for higher damage output which would have a similar effect on the matchups but make higher numbers of HC more effective bec of the “spread” effect, like a differenc type of adding AoE to them as compensiation for not having the accuracy of the arbs.

But if the range is nerfed for even higher damage output it would be essential that no civ would get a comparable range as arbs, this would lead to very unfair matchups against some archer civs in the very lategame. (Cause then HC Hussar would beat basically every Arb / Pike civ that doesn’t get halb).

I’m not sure why Persian is listed among the factions that shouldn’t get buffed HC, considering the Safavids were part of the Gunpowder Empires…