New Video saying that AoE4

I would think tactics is synonymous of strategy?

It is not. Tactics is a number of movements on a small scale, to get an advantage over an opponent in a battle.
Strategy is a serious of decisions to gather a strong advantage over an enemy, before a battle even starts.

In other words:
-Tactics is telling your men to dig in, or hide behind the bushes for an ambush.
-Strategy is positioning your Artillery on a hill, or having secured supply lines with fortifications, before the first shot was even fired.

3 Likes

Not exactly. For example commandos is a RTT game. You can not say that it is a RTS game. A game that has not resource system some may say that is a RTS game also, but there are other players that would disagree.

I think that CoH is a RTS because it has a basic production process. I think that they are in the RTS genre if the user can produce extra units during the mission. (although I usually don’t like a lot games with so little production units-resources concept).

2 Likes

@DarthPyro4335
To put it more simply…

Tactics = The planning is all about a very short time period
Strategy = The planning is all about a long term goal

Both elements are normally represented in an RTS.

2 Likes

You could say AoE is a classic RTS (same as Starcraft and C&C).
Company of Heroes is an RTS with an emphasis on tactics/RTT, with stronger tactics/RTT elements than strategy elements.
Commandos / Desperados are entirely RTT.

Homeworld is just fixed shapes in open space with some lighting animation from the back to show they are moving.

Dawn of War on the other hand?
Let’s take a look at this masterpiece of animation, it’s just incredible how smooth and clean it does move for a game made 17 years ago, I repeat 17 year old. Where each unit has a very nice combat animation despite a huge variety of shapes and sizes.

And It’s not only how the units are moving, its also how the game is paced.

For an RTS It’s very important to have gameplay depth and suitable animation speed, to keep control what is going on. What we have seen so far by AoE4 just looks like it was made by people, who don’t play RTS games at all.

I just have the odd feeling “Animators” from Relic did switch long ago over to Creative Assembly.
This is how a 60 Dollar game should look.

1 Like

I said exactly this.

If you can build units during a mission I count the game as RTS. From the other hand commandos is not a RTS because you can not build new commandos whenever you want (via limitation of resources etc).

DoW1 is a crude mess with poorly implemented systems the devs even regretted (Cover and Morale, for example, which are outright ignored by later additions to the game).

Homeworld was the truest 3 Dimensional Strategy game ever made.

we don’t know how extensive the campaign will be for us to be judging if it’s worth or not, $60 of today is not the $60 of the 90s or 2005, it’s worth much less. And games are more expensive to make today than back then.

I’ll gladly pay $60 if it has no Mtx (Outside of expansions)/Hats shoved up my face.

Cover system is the Definition of Relic Genre Achievement.

This statement did come out during the time of DoW3 Development, where Relic clearly did lose its touché with Fanbase, Franchise and the RTS Genre in general.

Considering all the technological advantages and available technologies, shouldn’t the games actually be cheaper to make? We have today much faster Computers and more Apps, how else would be all those indie titles possible on Unreal and Unity engine.

Only considering games back then were made by a team of 15 people, whereas today it’s +100 teams shows games today are more expensive. I’m talking about AAA ofc.

not exactly, you can’t just use unreal or unity for a game those engines weren’t designed for, as technology advances so do more engine specific changes and optimizations are required.

Unreal and unity don’t support lockstep out of the box, you gotta build your own "sub"engine on top of it, etc.

I don’t want to go into detail but either case it’s more expensive to make now than before a AAA game.

I would prob spend 80 on this. I am just excited for a new AOE game. I wonder how the player base will split up? AOE2DE I bit will still have the most players

3 Likes

I agree with some of the points and disagree with others. The game is priced very high and my concern is that the game itself does not offer enough gaming for a casual gamer. Someone who is looking to play singleplayer only.
That being said I’ll still probably buy it because the game looks good and fun, but do I think it is overpriced? Yes.

3 Likes

I get a very strong sense from the previews that AoE4 will pale in comparison to DE2 when it comes to imagination aka the Scenario Editing, AI scripting, map scripting and modding communities. I hope the devs don’t forget that Age2 would have died out long ago without these communities and should they wish longevity (long term sales) for AoE4, they should not forget about said features/customisation. I’m surprised AoN didn’t mention that.

1 Like