No game sound

Build: 38862
Platform: Steam
Operating System: Windows 10
Gamertag: The12Reaper12

Issue:
I bought AoE DE yesterday for nostalgia reasons, and the first time i opened it it was all ok, logged into my microsoft account, changed some graphic options and closed the game. After this, every time i open the game it has no sound at all after the intros. I already tried to verify the integrity of the files, and already have the XAudio2_9.dll. The game is installed in an external Seagate HD, like all my other steam games, but only this one has this problem

Reproduction Steps:
1-Open the game
2-Skip or watch the intros
3-The main menu loads, no music, no button sound, no ingame sound

2 Likes

The game actually doesn’t play audio if you disconnect the audio device while the game is running.

1 Like

I never disconected my headset when the game is running.

This is a pretty obscure bug and it’s probably some sort of incompatability bug.

I’ve had a similar issue for at least about a year, on the Microsoft Store version, and the issue is still present in build 46777. If I plug in headphones after the intros, the sound stops briefly and then resumes through my laptop’s built-in speakers rather than the headphones. If I start the game with headphones plugged in, sound is played through the headphones, but if I unplug them while the game is running, there is no sound at all, even after plugging them back in.

1 Like

Sad that this issue still remains present. Thanks for reporting your experience with 46777 version.

1 Like

Getting this issue for the first time today. For me it works with speakers but not headphones anymore. Frustrating as I only play with headphones.

You can try installing the default driver, then if that doesn’t work, you can update to the lastest version.

Downloaded AOE DE from steam. The game intro’s play but, once I enter a campaign there is no sound.
I’ve tried all the fixes, uninstall/reinstall, installing the directx files, etc. I have the current build 46777.
Still nothing.
I did notice that when I change the volume sliders, from maximum to some mid point, in settings the position of the slider returns to maximum.
Any help?

1 Like

My father also had the bug once. For him it was a directx problem at that time. I uninstalled directx and installed an older version. Then it worked again. Maybe it is something similar with you.

Many greetings.

1 Like

Try the default audio driver for windows ( solved all my sound problems):

• To use the generic audio driver that comes with Windows
  1. In the search box on the taskbar, type device manager, then select it from the results.
  2. Select the arrow next to Sound, video and game controllers to expand it.
  3. Right-click the listing for your sound card or audio device, then select Update driver > Browse my computer for driver software > Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.
  4. Select the audio device whose driver you want to update, select Next, and then follow the instructions to install it.

Look for : “High Definition Audio Device”

Restart PC to see if it works.

1 Like

I am getting this issue and the fix didn’t work.

Played it at the beginning of the month as well as many times for years before and never had this error.

Try it today and suddenly I get this issue.

Weirdly, the sound works with my PC speakers. But not with my headphones. But my headphones are fine, work with everything else and even work with the intro music. Just don’t work with the game menu or the actual game.

I mean, I would just use speakers but (1) I prefer headphones (2) I can’t be using speakers at night time and I usually play at night. Frustrating.

One day it just started working again. Strange.

Most likely due to an incompatible Windows 10 update or something related to sound drivers. I had a similar issue weeks before; Windows wouldn’t let me start any game through Steam.
Glad it’s fixed now for both of us.

1 Like