No more friendly fire?

So I always disliked it how you can damage your own or allied army/buildings with like catapults and such (I think that elephants also I totally forgot) which leads me to hardly ever training those. So I was wondering will friendly fire be disabled maybe? Post your thoughts :smile:

It won’t.

@“Memes B Dreams” said:
It won’t.

Too bad :confused:

Catapults damaging your own stuff is fine, otherwise people would simply have a ton of catapults firing into a skirmish. They won’t be as bad now because damage radius is reduced.

Elephants and Scythes damaging your team mates’ units in MP may need to be looked at - if it doesn’t affect your own units, it shouldn’t affect your ally. I’ve seen an army from 2 players on my team ruin itself because one was Scythes and the other had Armoured Elephants!

Lore/history wise it does make sense for elephants to damage your own units. Upatch, if you have read the change notes, has addressed this issue where the aoe damage from elephants was hitting your own units as well, reduced the impact area for catapults. So @XayahEU, your wish has come and will come true in a way.

HOWEVER, the bolder can still hit and seriously injure your own units and as that is a core mechanic of both aoe 1 and 2 i do not believe that it will completely removed.

The game lack some realism , the only answer is adding behavior.

To quote a military phrase: “Friendly fire isn’t.”

I wouldn’t want them to change much of anything with this. I’d rather not have the game devolve too much into an attack-move game where you don’t really have to micro at all.

I want to see friendly fire would not provoke the AI to change the alliance position from friend to enemy. It is frustrating when playing with AI I can only train single target unit like heavy horse archers or capharacts to avoid that kind of situation.

@ltdung305 said:
I want to see friendly fire would not provoke the AI to change the alliance position from friend to enemy. It is frustrating when playing with AI I can only train single target unit like heavy horse archers or capharacts to avoid that kind of situation.

I avoid helping the AI at the same place, it is better to use them as distraction and go into enemy base from another way.

I believe that issue was fixed in the UPatch, so it should also be true of the DE.

@Dauntless3788 said:
To quote a military phrase: “Friendly fire isn’t.”

I wouldn’t want them to change much of anything with this. I’d rather not have the game devolve too much into an attack-move game where you don’t really have to micro at all.

Completely agree. Honestly i would extend it also to ballistas and helepolis to prevent their spam. But that might be a little overkill.

Friendly fire should be kept. Catapults would become too powerful without it. I think the proper solution is to change the unit AI so that the units won’t automatically attack enemies if it would damage your own units. In the new version of AoE2 mangonels will try to avoid firing at your own units and something similar could be added here as well.

@qweytr24 said:
Friendly fire should be kept. Catapults would become too powerful without it. I think the proper solution is to change the unit AI so that the units won’t automatically attack enemies if it would damage your own units. In the new version of AoE2 mangonels will try to avoid firing at your own units and something similar could be added here as well.

I haven’t seen my mangonels/Catapults avoiding friendly fire, they just attack and hurt my own soldiers :lol:
For that is the “Standing” Formation added, to prevent some auto attack on your army.

This not a casual game. So I think so.

  • Computer players no longer change their diplomacy on accidental hits by allies (catapults, elephants, etc).
  • Computer players no longer automatically ally with other computer players when they are set to no team ("-").

I think allied friendly fire from trample cabbage units should be looked at, as it’s silly that you damage an ally’s unit but not your own.-

@Penelinfi said:

  • Computer players no longer change their diplomacy on accidental hits by allies (catapults, elephants, etc).
  • Computer players no longer automatically ally with other computer players when they are set to no team ("-").

I think allied friendly fire from trample cabbage units should be looked at, as it’s silly that you damage an ally’s unit but not your own.-

It’s beyond silly. It’s full-on stupid

@Totalste said:

@Dauntless3788 said:
To quote a military phrase: “Friendly fire isn’t.”

I wouldn’t want them to change much of anything with this. I’d rather not have the game devolve too much into an attack-move game where you don’t really have to micro at all.

Completely agree. Honestly i would extend it also to ballistas and helepolis to prevent their spam. But that might be a little overkill.

Another +1 from me for the ballistae (correct plural for ballista) having friendly fire. I’m not sure of the mathematical balance either but that’s kind of irrelevant, because that can be rebalanced.

You could see it as them loosing the bolt over the top of their units and into yours…
But that excuse/explanation falls apart when these bolts explode (for some stupid reason) dealing area damage, to only your units.

Although that could spark off a whole other debate on game stereotypes which I won’t go fully into… But I’m pretty sure that you can work out - that having a boulder/bolt, that gets loosed from a catapult/ballista, that explodes on impact - is dumb AF.

Catapults are supposed to represent multiple stone devices as well, hence the area damage.

Fireships also only do 1/2 damage to land objects now, which means you can no longer ravage things that decide to stay on the beach!

Friendly Fire is essential. There is already very less army micromanagement requirements in the game. With the macro being simplified with some UI changes and intelligent villagers. Its important to have mechanics to engage the player with his army.