No unit ques or farm reseeding please

@HandSoloh said:

@redmenace55@gmail.com said:

@HandSoloh said:
It is dumbing down the game. Grimtoadstool, you are trolling. If you have units being automated, people don’t have to think about it. Now i’m reading that farms are walkable? Why ruin the flavor of AoE? Updating graphics=good. Turning the AoE into AoK= bad.

Unit queueing isnt turning AoE I into AoE II it was a feature of RoR which is the expansion of AoE I.
If your so hardcore over this than all you need to do is simply never queue more than one unit at a time, it shouldn’t matter if the other player is using the queue cuz you got them mad skillz that your filthy casual opponent doesn’t have.

And trolls dont write massive posts like GrimToadStool’s, dont call everyone you disagree with a troll, no one will take you seriously.

I’m guessing that you didn’t read the part about when u hchchch rapidly, u end up with too many units stacked in training at a single TC and the other TCs pumping fewer vils.

I did read your hotkey bit.
I use hotkeys for all AoE games and I’ve never had this problem, now I haven’t played AoE I for a long time but I’m certain that if you have multiple TCs or Barracks than it will cycle them not just select the same one over and over. I could be wrong and am misremembering but even if that were true than why wouldn’t they change that?

Always cycles to the last TC you made first. units stack up and u don’t notic when you’re hitting keys frantically. you end up with resources tied up in one or two TCs or military buildings. And the walk through farms are bad as well, in AoE, we use those farms as a barrier to defend against infantry. Some of the trolls on these boards just don’t understand the mechanics of AoE when compared to AoK. they want AoE to play like AoK.

@HandSoloh said:
Always cycles to the last TC you made first. units stack up and u don’t notic when you’re hitting keys frantically. you end up with resources tied up in one or two TCs or military buildings. And the walk through farms are bad as well, in AoE, we use those farms as a barrier to defend against infantry. Some of the trolls on these boards just don’t understand the mechanics of AoE when compared to AoK. they want AoE to play like AoK.

Unwalkable farms are ridiculous. If something wasn’t possible in 1990s it doesn’t mean that it must remain the same now just because a few people want the gameplay to be 100% identical.

I think it depends on the population limits. I believe in the original game the pop limit was 50 (been a while since I’ve played it) so there wasn’t as many farms to manually reseed. If they raise the limit to 200 or more, I think they should add auto reseeding since most people will be playing with 20-30 farms. In late stages of the game and that just seems annoying to have to reseed manually.

Clearly what i see here, is a bunch of people that don’t understand Age of Empires. It looks to me, like a bunch of Age of Kings players that think Age of Empires should be the same as Age of Kings. My understanding was that the Devs were going to retain the play style of AoE, but it sounds like they’re ruining it with this “walkable farm” crap and ques. update the graphics and leave the rest alone.

@ShakenNotStirred said:
I think it depends on the population limits. I believe in the original game the pop limit was 50 (been a while since I’ve played it) so there wasn’t as many farms to manually reseed. If they raise the limit to 200 or more, I think they should add auto reseeding since most people will be playing with 20-30 farms. In late stages of the game and that just seems annoying to have to reseed manually.

We play population 500+ these days. with villagers counts between 150-250. and we make 50+ farms at times. we maintain our farming manually. Multitasking is what seperates top and average players.

@Fetandrey said:

Unwalkable farms are ridiculous. If something wasn’t possible in 1990s it doesn’t mean that it must remain the same now just because a few people want the gameplay to be 100% identical.

Like I said, we use farms as walls. we leave spaces between farms to maneuver. we don’t garrison and hide in age of empires, farms are walls.

@HandSoloh said:

@Fetandrey said:

Like I said, we use farms as walls. we leave spaces between farms to maneuver. we don’t garrison and hide in age of empires, farms are walls.

Not in DE, they’re not. Change is a-coming, get used to it. You have Classic Mode anyway…

We play population 500+ these days. with villagers counts between 150-250. and we make 50+ farms at times. we maintain our farming manually. Multitasking is what separates top and average players.

Even if it is harder to do I don’t think farming manually adds anything to the gameplay experience for probably 99% of players and it just seems tedious to me. Plus, it’s not like there won’t be plenty of other things to multi-task that are way more interesting to do (battles, building stuff etc). The only way I see them keeping manual farming is if they decide to stay true to the original game which I would be ok with I guess.

Farms are walls :smiley:

@HandSoloh said:
It is dumbing down the game. Grimtoadstool, you are trolling. If you have units being automated, people don’t have to think about it. Now i’m reading that farms are walkable? Why ruin the flavor of AoE? Updating graphics=good. Turning the AoE into AoK= bad.

You must be reporte you are the troll here.d. Why AoE2 have a huge community compared tiny of AoE1?

@HandSoloh said:

@Fetandrey said:

What’s the point of real walls then? Let’s just build farms everywhere instead of walls!

Thanks for the defense guys, I really appreciate this. It speaks of a good community. Sadly, the opposite is often more common. Let me see, if I can seperate the conflict from the insults.

aoe1 is a game that was ambitiously designed, yet had to work with the hardware limitations of the time. When aoe2 came along, these limitations were a lot looser and the gameplay was improved around that. However, both games build a following and a community*.
Now there’s gonna be a definitive edition, which’s idea it is to modernize the game, meaning improvents to the game which couldn’t be made at the time. The very idea is that the limitations have been broken by now and the game has still play value, but could be updated.
So, the audience this caters to is very much the aoe2 crowd, which want to replay the original but won’t abandon the better usability. There is a claim to be made, that however the aoe1 community wants this DE to make no gameplay changes at all, just fix the compatability issues that have arisen with the time.
Thus it may appear that it’s aoe1, just not for the “true” aoe1 fans and they want to be recognised as well and are thus calling to be included, at least optional.

*A thing for life, if you want to positively represent a community, forget the schoolyard logic of adding insults to make your argument appear stronger. Learn proper communication - that’s the only way to help your argument. I’ve now attempted to make the OPs point as plausible as possible, but to be fair, not for him, but for those silent nice ones in the aoe1 community that deserve a better representation.

@Fetandrey said:

@HandSoloh said:

@Fetandrey said:

What’s the point of real walls then? Let’s just build farms everywhere instead of walls!

This guy have any sense, even knows what the game try to represent.

@GrimToadstool said:
Thanks for the defense guys, I really appreciate this. It speaks of a good community. Sadly, the opposite is often more common. Let me see, if I can seperate the conflict from the insults.

aoe1 is a game that was ambitiously designed, yet had to work with the hardware limitations of the time. When aoe2 came along, these limitations were a lot looser and the gameplay was improved around that. However, both games build a following and a community*.
Now there’s gonna be a definitive edition, which’s idea it is to modernize the game, meaning improvents to the game which couldn’t be made at the time. The very idea is that the limitations have been broken by now and the game has still play value, but could be updated.
So, the audience this caters to is very much the aoe2 crowd, which want to replay the original but won’t abandon the better usability. There is a claim to be made, that however the aoe1 community wants this DE to make no gameplay changes at all, just fix the compatability issues that have arisen with the time.
Thus it may appear that it’s aoe1, just not for the “true” aoe1 fans and they want to be recognised as well and are thus calling to be included, at least optional.

*A thing for life, if you want to positively represent a community, forget the schoolyard logic of adding insults to make your argument appear stronger. Learn proper communication - that’s the only way to help your argument. I’ve now attempted to make the OPs point as plausible as possible, but to be fair, not for him, but for those silent nice ones in the aoe1 community that deserve a better representation.

But is AoE I community really silent or just nonexistent? So far I’ve seen just a bunch of people who don’t want any change except maybe graphics that call themselves “true AoE1 fans”.

@Fetandrey said:
But is AoE I community really silent or just nonexistent? So far I’ve seen just a bunch of people who don’t want any change except maybe graphics that call themselves “true AoE1 fans”.

Here’s the thing, it doesn’t matter how small or big they are. For example, I happen to be photosensitive and susceptable to motion sickness. Flashbangs and a bad Field of View are terrible for me in 3d action games. I wouldn’t say there’s a lot of people who are affected or know they are and what to do about it and you can’t call them a community, but I won’t stop beeing vocal about that.
On another matter, I had been a representitive and spokesperson for a couple of years for a let’s say group for sexual divergents (there’s more than LGBTQ and it’s not the forum for that topic) The people exist, some communities exist. There’s lot of fear and infighting and the worldwide people who engage in active public work were five plus around five occasional assistants.

Sooo… what I’m used to doing is not to ask how many we are talking about, because the demographics aren’t clear most of the time. I try to see whether there’s a valid argument to be made. That’s what helps the developers make descisions. Figuring out how lucrative that is is really a job for the marketing guys who have access to more data.

@HandSoloh said:
It is “dumbing down the game” Bunch of trolls in this thread. RoR has unit ques and no one plays it. AoE doesnt have ques, people still play it. if you’re a hotkey user, like I am, you hear the units training and then u do a round of “hchchchchchc” to pump multiple TCs… what ends up happening is that one TC ends up with all the units stacked up and your others TCs end up rarely pumping. The title is “Age of Empires Difinitive Edition” and not Rise of Rome Difinitive Edition.

Twitch

I agree partly with you.
Let me say something here (expert RoR player, also played AOE on gp level, 17xx/18xx voobly rating on AOE, but haven’t played AOE 1 in 5 years). Let me start by saying that what OP said is false. The Rise of Rome community is massive compared to the AOE 1 community, almost nobody plays the first game without the expansion except a bunch of old expert and elite players and it’s only played on Voobly. There is roughly 20-60 players on voobly depending on the time. Just open Gameranger and you will see that your claim is false, at any point in time, there is at least 20 RoR games being played, during peak hours there is up to a 100 games. The RoR playerbase is absolutely gigantic if you include all the Chinese and Vietnamese players. There are literally people there that make a living playing RoR. They have huge RoR events with professional commentary and everything, it’s pretty insane. I wouldn’t be surprised if there are actually more RoR players than AOC players just because of this. Not sure if AOC is also big in the east.

Also, you will get used to the queue. You can simply remove units from the queue as well, if you queued to many and of course you have to watch out that you don’t queue too much in the first place. To be honest the queue has both upsides and downsides, but in the end I like it better with.

Now I agree on you when it comes to farming, I would prefer to keep it the way it is. But you also have to understand that a lot of players won’t buy the game if some things won’t be in it. Currently, as far as I know, there is no farm queue. However, farms are walkable. I have mixed opinions on this. Farms are easily destroyed to begin with, but it still provided a small barrier between you and enemy axemen for instance, keeping in mind that unlike AOE 2, in AOE 1 you can not put your villagers in your town center to scare the enemy away, so essentially you have less defensive options. That is the biggest problem I can see right now with walkable farms. You can’t just apply AOE 2 logic to AOE 1. However many players that come from AOE 2 will appreciate this. At the same time I think this is a big part of the audience as well. So you have to find a balance. Because in the end, the guys that make the game has to satisfy a certain audience in order to make a profit. Because that is what matters the most to Microsoft in the end: $$$$.

Personally I would like to keep it as it is, but I guess I can live with it.

There, now that’s an argument.

I think queueing and reseeding are just QoL things that should come and there’s little discussion about that except for taste.
Walkability … that’s more a thing now that you say it. I would add that as far as my 20 year old memory serves me, another important aspect is where the farmer stands. With unwalkable farms, the farmer can be wedged between the dropoff and pickup point. With walkable farms like in age2, he might randomly walk across the farm. Which is actually a big deal. So, walkable farms aren’t just about whether they are an obstacle, but also the farmer behavior needs to be adjusted.

On my part, I insist on the QoL, but walkability I’m flexible and that merits further discussion.

@mustang082 said:

@HandSoloh said:
It is “dumbing down the game” Bunch of trolls in this thread. RoR has unit ques and no one plays it. AoE doesnt have ques, people still play it. if you’re a hotkey user, like I am, you hear the units training and then u do a round of “hchchchchchc” to pump multiple TCs… what ends up happening is that one TC ends up with all the units stacked up and your others TCs end up rarely pumping. The title is “Age of Empires Difinitive Edition” and not Rise of Rome Difinitive Edition.

Twitch

Actually they’ve already said it will have Ror’s features because it was an expansion pack to Aoe not a standalone game like aoe players think it is. Aoe had two popular settings. Ror had several. This is visible when aoe players crossed over and played exactly the same style every game.

Now granted a die hard fraternity still play aoe but were talking about 50 people at people times not 500. Also nobody plays it on gr while many people from the far East log in daily to play ror on gr. It evens out.

Lastly, I know who you are boozer and I look forward to taking your sweet, sweet rating points.

O? who are you?

Well, personally i prefer to play without unit queue, it gives me a much better control of unit production thus economy management. I’m ok with farm reseeding, rebuilding farms add nothing positive to the gameplay.

I understand their choice to keep queue unit system, its standard to RTS from many years and it makes easier to new players get used to the game.

However they can satisfy everybody if they want to, just add a game option to turn on and off queue. I dont think they will do it but it seens pretty simple to be done.