No unit ques or farm reseeding please

Maintaining your economy is what seperates top players from the average. please don’t dumb down the game with that crap. if you do put in ques, gve the host the option to toggle it off.

Lol is unplayable without queue

There will be queueing of units, as it is RoR. Only one type per building. I don’t think there will be farm queues, though I wouldn’t mind not having to move the lazy farmer each time - he should wait at granary if no free farms.

Unit queues already exist in age of empires: Rise of Rome. As to reseeding farms, I have mixed opinions on that.

Yeah, also don’t include moving units on mouseclick, you should have to use the move command first, like in Dune2. Also please completely disable unit AI and multiple units selection. Moving the map is also an issue, al these quailty of live commands. The real player uses assembler code to move the map.

@GrimToadstool said:
Yeah, also don’t include moving units on mouseclick, you should have to use the move command first, like in Dune2. Also please completely disable unit AI and multiple units selection. Moving the map is also an issue, al these quailty of live commands. The real player uses assembler code to move the map.

Real men don’t even use a monitor. We work off of magnetic signals by sensing what data is being read off of the hard drives.

@GrimToadstool said:

Completely agree. Enough of these stupid conveniences! They are for the weak!

Agreed, game does not require graphical interface.
Please remove graphic and make engine text based MS Dos command input mechanics.
Game is not for little crying babies for mother’s milk, make game of true warrior.

Go play Starcraft Remastered. We want AoE go a different user-friendly way!

I like reseeding, not bc im lazy, but bc in real business management, im the boss, and I let my workers to do something i expect them to do it not for me to walk out there and do it myself every season. (catch the RP hich).

@HandSoloh said:
Maintaining your economy is what seperates top players from the average. please don’t dumb down the game with that crap. if you do put in ques, gve the host the option to toggle it off.

It’s not dumbing the game down, it’s calling having options.

In general, this game isn’t just for competitive players you know.

It is “dumbing down the game” Bunch of trolls in this thread. RoR has unit ques and no one plays it. AoE doesnt have ques, people still play it. if you’re a hotkey user, like I am, you hear the units training and then u do a round of “hchchchchchc” to pump multiple TCs… what ends up happening is that one TC ends up with all the units stacked up and your others TCs end up rarely pumping. The title is “Age of Empires Difinitive Edition” and not Rise of Rome Difinitive Edition.

Yet they said it will include everything from Rise of Rome. So you will get to have your unit queues.

I see more RoR players when I was on GameRanger. No idea about elsewhere. A lot of people like the op bonuses and some bugs that occurred in the earlier version, as well as maybe having to super micro the villager production

I don’t want automatic re-seeding or unit queuing in the remaster. But, it does have Rise of Rome included, so that functionality might well be in it.

If queuing / auto-seeding is present, then it really ought to be a gameplay option, so that people can still play AoE the way it originally was. Also, for MP, I think queuing and auto-seeding should be a lobby setting that can be enabled or disabled.

@HandSoloh said:
It is “dumbing down the game” Bunch of trolls in this thread. RoR has unit ques and no one plays it. AoE doesnt have ques, people still play it. if you’re a hotkey user, like I am, you hear the units training and then u do a round of “hchchchchchc” to pump multiple TCs… what ends up happening is that one TC ends up with all the units stacked up and your others TCs end up rarely pumping. The title is “Age of Empires Difinitive Edition” and not Rise of Rome Difinitive Edition.

Twitch

Umm dude, its not dumbing the game down, and the link you giving are from competitive players.

I have always used queue in games as much as possible! Only because you don’t know how to use them in the competitive games!

@HandSoloh said:

Twitch

Actually they’ve already said it will have Ror’s features because it was an expansion pack to Aoe not a standalone game like aoe players think it is. Aoe had two popular settings. Ror had several. This is visible when aoe players crossed over and played exactly the same style every game.

Now granted a die hard fraternity still play aoe but were talking about 50 people at people times not 500. Also nobody plays it on gr while many people from the far East log in daily to play ror on gr. It evens out.

Lastly, I know who you are boozer and I look forward to taking your sweet, sweet rating points.

What we did wasn’t trolling. It’s called a “reductio ad absurdum”, you take an argument, apply the next logical steps to show that it leads to absudidty and thus show it’s invalid.
The thing is, you’re not understanding the difference between “dumbing down” and “quality of life improvements”. Let me elaborate.

There’s certainly games who’s spirit it is to make is as compeditive as possible, such as Starcraft’s multiplayer. The game is based around the idea of providing a platform in which faster clicking means winning. There’s a place for these games. (And even it has queues)
Now Age of Empires 1 didn’t have reseeding or rallypoints or proper pathfinding, because the idea didn’t exist back then. Games evolved and age1 was a good founding stone, but that level of compeditiveness was never intended.

“Dumbing down” would be to remove features to make it easier understandable, for example reducing it to three units, the rock thrower, the scissor samurai and the paper cavalery. The game is about non-transistive units so might as well reduce the number to make it easier to follow.
What reseeding and queues, as well as controlgroups and all the UI stuff is, is quality of life improvements. It gives you the ability to have not to pay attention to a certain part for a momemnt without it going down the drain. QoL is also very much in the spirit of Age of Empires after all as it’s about the beauty of mass combat and base building and the interaction between the two, yet not the frantic clicking to switch between the two. You wanna see your units do stuff, not just issuing the command.

Also the target audience of this game is now in their 30s or 40s. In that age, you’re not about ■■■■■ length comparison anymore, but just wanna play a nice game in the evening or on a free day. It’s people who have grown up with the genre evolving and certainly appreciate the original getting the improvements, which’s creation it sparked.

Age of Empires’ designed challange was always in strategizing and adapting, not in the battle with the UI -that was a technical limitation. In fact an argument could be made that actually removing queues and reseeding is dumbing the game down. Here’s why: take two players who are competing in a game of aoe and it’s designed to see who has the better strategy and tactics. Now if you would add the challange to make it more clicky, the player who would be able to do that would win, not the better strategy. Hence the battle of the minds is now more a battle of the fingers. It would certainly shift the focus away from. Calling that dumbing down is a bit of a stretch admittingly, but the point is that for a large proportion of the playerbase it would shift attention away from understanding the complexity.

You could require chess players to knit little hats for the figurines in order to be allowed to move them. That would certainly add compeditiveness as well. But sudennly it’s about who knits faster.

Now, if you’ve made the case that there would be players who are deliberately looking for older games to actually remove certain features because of a masochisitic tendency to find fun in battlling with the UI or something and the original provided that and thus there should be an option to provide the same experience, I’d say there’s a point to the argument.
But, you needed to go for the somewhat derogative “dumbing down” argument.

It is dumbing down the game. Grimtoadstool, you are trolling. If you have units being automated, people don’t have to think about it. Now i’m reading that farms are walkable? Why ruin the flavor of AoE? Updating graphics=good. Turning the AoE into AoK= bad.

@HandSoloh said:
It is dumbing down the game. Grimtoadstool, you are trolling. If you have units being automated, people don’t have to think about it. Now i’m reading that farms are walkable? Why ruin the flavor of AoE? Updating graphics=good. Turning the AoE into AoK= bad.

Unit queueing isnt turning AoE I into AoE II it was a feature of RoR which is the expansion of AoE I.
If your so hardcore over this than all you need to do is simply never queue more than one unit at a time, it shouldn’t matter if the other player is using the queue cuz you got them mad skillz that your filthy casual opponent doesn’t have.

And trolls dont write massive posts like GrimToadStool’s, dont call everyone you disagree with a troll, no one will take you seriously.

@redmenace55@gmail.com said:

@HandSoloh said:

Unit queueing isnt turning AoE I into AoE II it was a feature of RoR which is the expansion of AoE I.
If your so hardcore over this than all you need to do is simply never queue more than one unit at a time, it shouldn’t matter if the other player is using the queue cuz you got them mad skillz that your filthy casual opponent doesn’t have.

And trolls dont write massive posts like GrimToadStool’s, dont call everyone you disagree with a troll, no one will take you seriously.

I’m guessing that you didn’t read the part about when u hchchch rapidly, u end up with too many units stacked in training at a single TC and the other TCs pumping fewer vils.