Noobs 101: Basic BO and Strategies for MP

@MannedLeopard58 said:
Two great new contributions today. Thank you guys!

Interesting the fact we don’t have early scouts on AoE 1, so we must sacrifice a worker to do this job… I imagine on how difficult if can be if we find a lion roaming around while exploring early…

Hey guys, what about “trush” (tower rush)? Is it a thing on AoE 1 for any civ at least?

And “drush” (dark age, or better, stone age aggression) with club men? Viable with any civ?

Yeah lions are more deadly than wolves as no loom, quite often get a pair of them.

Tower rushing isn’t really a thing in AOE as they take too long to build and require a research, you are usually better off building another barracks or archery range. 25hp villagers building a tower are very vulnerable. In AOK towers don’t require research and denying gold isn’t as important. You don’t need gold for Bronze age or the main bronze age units of chariots in Aoe but in AOK gold is more important. Better off using your stone on walls in AOE to protect your base and trap the enemy whereas in AOK you can always use palisade which doesn’t cost stone.

Building clubmen on the way to Tool age is a good idea if tool rushing and I’ll generally go in as the first armour is being researched, but stone age rushing isn’t that great.

@“Mystic Taboo” said:

@MannedLeopard58 said:

Interesting the fact we don’t have early scouts on AoE 1, so we must sacrifice a worker to do this job… I imagine on how difficult if can be if we find a lion roaming around while exploring early…

Hey guys, what about “trush” (tower rush)? Is it a thing on AoE 1 for any civ at least?

And “drush” (dark age, or better, stone age aggression) with club men? Viable with any civ?

Yeah lions are more deadly than wolves as no loom, quite often get a pair of them.

Tower rushing isn’t really a thing in AOE as they take too long to build and require a research, you are usually better off building another barracks or archery range. 25hp villagers building a tower are very vulnerable. In AOK towers don’t require research and denying gold isn’t as important. You don’t need gold for Bronze age or the main bronze age units of chariots in Aoe but in AOK gold is more important. Better off using your stone on walls in AOE to protect your base and trap the enemy whereas in AOK you can always use palisade which doesn’t cost stone.

Building clubmen on the way to Tool age is a good idea if tool rushing and I’ll generally go in as the first armour is being researched, but stone age rushing isn’t that great.

Hmm, good to know about that! Valuable info!

@MannedLeopard58 said:

It’s not that difficult actually. 1 villager will beat 1 lion, with still about 1-15 hp left, depending on the situation (from an elevated surface, a lion can be killed quite quickly). There are also certain tricks which allow you to escape from lions (only work on water maps). The only problem is lions in pairs, which happens sometimes. Though you won’t encounter lions that often. But sometimes you will have to cope with a lost villager. I would say that lions are less dangerous than wolves in AoE 2 because wolves tend to attack from a much greater distance than lions. Lions won’t attack you unless you are really close to them.

Tower rushes are rarely done, not in the tool age because of slingers. In the bronze age they are often used to support your attack if you are Bybylonian, Roman or Choson. i.e. to deny your opponent certain resources. They are also used to defend your town. In the Iron age they usually play the biggest role, both offensive and defensive. Mainly to cover resources such as forests, gold and stone.

Tool age rush with Clubmen are rarely done, though it may work. But it will mainly be due to surprise effects. If you are rushing in the stone age if will most often be a villager rush. If you are either Assyrian, Yamato or Sumerian this might work if your opponent is close enough. You simply use your villagers to kill enemy villagers. > @Penelinfi said:

There should be a list of all changes on the upatch site. I think they reduced fire rate very slightly, range -1. Archers take longer to train (except bowman, because he doesn’t need a shirt). Short swordsman instantly available in Bronze Age. Can we please get some swordsmen helmets made up!

It makes things more balanced, so that it’s not all chariot archers. You can do swordsmen, cavalry, slinger more effectively. Even Palmyra camels. Villagers are slower with wheel nerf, now makes cavalry great for raiding, slower units pose more danger.

Guess you can’t run to the other side of the map as easily now :stuck_out_tongue:

Slinger rush can work if you get in early before they can mass long range bowmen or cavalry etc.

Edit: here is a noob rm timeline ;p No chariot archers! Even the AI used camels lol

Actually RoR is not all Chariot archers. Camels and Cavalry are usually better than chariot archers, especially early on in the bronze age. You will see cavalry and camels all the time in online games. You can make them right away in the bronze age so that is great. Palmyran is actually quite a strong civ early on. They can reduce a bunch of chariot archer to nothingness in a matter of seconds due to their speed. Nerfing Chariot archers is actually a bad thing. Camels and Cavalry will simply dominate. The wheel nerf is also a HUGE problem as this prevents villagers from running away. Defending in AoE 1 is much harder than in for instance AoE 1 so often you just walk away and rebuild elsewhere. But if your villagers are too slow, you will simply die.

Slingers are really strong in the tool age. Make sure to uprade stone mining in the market and simply make 30 + slingers in the tool age. 30 slingers will even be able to hold off groups of 1-2 cavalry units. They will retain their usefulness in the early bronze age, but are quickly outmatched in middle bronze age warfare.

30 slingers lol, a mere 1200 food and 300 stone.

I appreciate the input @AKC_HellStriker but 30 slingers seems quite a lot! haha.

Anyway, cool to see this discussion. It appears to me that Lions are afraid of water on AoE original, so you just need to go to some walk-able water path and you are saved… Any idea on why it happens? Seems a bug retained for some reason!

And what about BO for water? Fishing boats should be made early on as well? when we should dock normally?

@MannedLeopard58 said:

I appreciate the input @AKC_HellStriker but 30 slingers seems quite a lot! haha.

Anyway, cool to see this discussion. It appears to me that Lions are afraid of water on AoE original, so you just need to go to some walk-able water path and you are saved… Any idea on why it happens? Seems a bug retained for some reason!

And what about BO for water? Fishing boats should be made early on as well? when we should dock normally?

It might seem like a lot, but it actually is not. Mass slingers are destructive.

Lions in real life may give up at water. It would also mean that the lion just stays there if you leave line of site, though I guess it could return like how elephants do. I’m not sure if upatch fixed the “animals can’t attack if you’re on the beach”

@Penelinfi said:
Lions in real life may give up at water. It would also mean that the lion just stays there if you leave line of site, though I guess it could return like how elephants do. I’m not sure if upatch fixed the “animals can’t attack if you’re on the beach”

good point. I wonder the same

@BridalParsley95 said:
Here’s some pro gameplay.
I know it’ Shang pre-neft but it’s still very impressive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFyqdwIoVCY

this guy has impressive unit control. I wish that I could control like that, but I am missing a hand.