Noobs 101: Basic BO and Strategies for MP

Hello! As many people here, I am a big fan of the entire AOE franchise, however, specially for AOE I, I’m lacking basically 100% of the skills needed for MP (I consider myself more a campaign player on AOE I… Especially after I discovered Heavengames several years ago), so I never really went to a MP match… What are the build orders needed to be average? Vills needed to go to the next age? Basic strats?

Video recomendations with recorded matches or anything “AOE I didactic for newbs” would be great!

I’d like to know this as well as i am in a similar situation. ^^

The Minoan archer rush was my favorite from way back.

@“Andy P” Ah yes, now it comes back to me, my brother’s favorite strat

This is my own guide on how to start, if u wanna play MP competitive or just wanna try it out in SP.

Well on the start, u want around basically 10 - 15 villagers, maintain those to age 2, start slowly with military barracks (1 or 2 is enough) then Archery range and 1 -2 stables, you want to keep 3 consistently on building Population house or other important buildings.

now over to age 1 (Basic start with my startup) Meaning what i usually do at the beginning.

Age 1/Stone Age: Start up with a location where u have Cherry bushes, build your TC as close as you can to them, then start producing 5 villagers as a beginning. Then get about 3 straw houses (if that name is correct) use 1 villager for this, right after the first house, start producing roughly 3 - 4 villagers, and get them on food like the last 4 you got remaining after leaving 1 to building.

Moving to Age 2/Tool Age: Age 2 costs you 500 food once u got the 500 food, start aging up to Age 2/Tool Age and thus comes new buildings/unites along more upgrades to your villagers and economy.

Age 2/Tool Age: Produce another 10 villagers (yes 10, i know that is a lot but you’ll need it) Once the 10 villagers is done split them in 2 groups, 5 for wood, 5 3 for gold, 2 for stone. If u feel like u need more wood, produce another 5 villagers, and add those in to woodcutting (10 in WC in that case - WC = Woodcutting) when u have enough for the building called “Market” begin placing it next to your houses.

No it doesn’t give any bonus, but it makes your village look cool :wink: While market is being created check your wood supplies and start building military structures, such as Barracks and Archery range as well as Stable.

Now by the time everything is ready, you are able to age up to Bronze Age/Age 3. But before you do this, u need to look over the Cherry bushes, are they empty or not? If they are Empty, start making Farms they will be crucial for your food income later on as the game progresses.

To age up to Bronze Age/Age 3, u will need 800 food, but after you have aged up u will need to increase villager amount once more now onward to age 3/Bronze Age.

Bronze Age/Age 3: Now this is the semi last age to age to, and this is what i’d call the most important age if u have had a rough start.

As soon as u hit Bronze Age start immediately to produce roughly 25 villagers (Yea big number i know) once the villagers are being produced slowly, start spreading them to Stone and Gold, as gold specifically will be your most used resource (This depends on your civilization, as others don’t use as much gold at bronze/Iron age) The way you want to balance it, is 16/9 16 gold and 9 on stone. You might wonder why, well to age up to Age 4/Iron age you will need addition to the food u need gold. After u have done so, select 2 villagers from your farms and start building temple, Academy (Most important building at Tool Age) and Siege Workshop. While you wait for these buildings to go up, get your army up and ready, start with 12 broad swordsman/Short Swordsman. After u start producing the swordsmen u start producing archers from the Archery range, such as Chariot archers - Improves/Composite Bowmen. You will also need some Horsemen to counter his slow moving archers as well as infantry, now in the stable u got multiple choices, well not always. As it varies from civ to civ.

NOTE You have to keep upgrading military unites as you progress on the aging, otherwise u will fall behind and your opponent will have stronger Siege equipment/cavalry/infantry. ALSO i will constantly edit this so make sure u look at it, as i’m gonna get busy here :disappointed:

Are you exclusively asking about RM strategies?

@Shadows said:
Are you exclusively asking about RM strategies?

Sorry for not specifying, but yes, preferably RM strategies!

You can comment about DM too… I think it would be a nice contribution!!

Team games general tips (DM or RM) are also welcome!

Effective communication is important in team games, targeting strategical positions or acquiring extra resources…

It used to be difficult having to stop to type everything you wanted to say in “Ally Chat” in game, and I don’t know if there’s voice chat options this time around. Perhaps use of 3rd party software could work but may leave some at a disadvantage… Idk.

As a someone who has played many AOE multiplayer games, I created a Youtube channel “AOE Tips” to share my knowledge and AOE wisdom with the rest of you. I will make videos on strategy, tactics and tips and I will upload recorded games as well. I just uploaded the first video which contains a very general strategy on how to get to the third age quickly in a water type map. Check it out here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbfXCusO4b8.

If you want to see more, make sure to subscribe. Once the definitive edition is out I will upload content for the new HD version of course.

@BlazingGaming13 Hey mate great video.

What’s your quickest bronze time for a standard land map?

How should chariot archers be balanced in AoE DE, in your opinion?

@ID said:

Thanks, I will make tutorials for that, but it depends on how much food you get, but usually you get to reach the bronze age within 15 minutes as well on a map without water.

@BlazingGaming13 said:

@ID said:

Thanks, I will make tutorials for that, but it depends on how much food you get, but usually you get to reach the bronze age within 15 minutes as well on a map without water. But bronzing quicker is easier on a map with water.

@“Andy P” said:
The Minoan archer rush was my favorite from way back.

thanks a lot! This video will be greatly useful!

Here’s some pro gameplay.
I know it’ Shang pre-neft but it’s still very impressive

Well guys, I’m giving a little bump to it, since many folks got Beta access while being complete new to the game, this thread would be nice to them, in order to test around common tactics for AoE 1 MP (although I know that they can’t comment it over here).

Feel free to post more strategies, folks! So far it’s been pretty instructive!

Chariot archers have been edited in UPatch anyway.

I thought a basic strat was to build ~18 villagers in Stone, then you’d have 800 food by the time Stone finished, quickly build 2 Tool buildings then up to Bronze. You’d try to build certain buildings to block access, eg. houses and market, barracks, some archeries or stables. I used to be average at RM and high in DM, though not at a “pro” level. Played a ton of no siege no priest DMs. Made some civs interesting, especially those who had strengths in siege or priests ;p

@Penelinfi said:

I thought a basic strat was to build ~18 villagers in Stone, then you’d have 800 food by the time Stone finished, quickly build 2 Tool buildings then up to Bronze. You’d try to build certain buildings to block access, eg. houses and market, barracks, some archeries or stables. I used to be average at RM and high in DM, though not at a “pro” level. Played a ton of no siege no priest DMs. Made some civs interesting, especially those who had strengths in siege or priests ;p

I’ve only seen 18 villagers for Tool Rushing purposes. Normally looking circa 22-24 for fast bronze, but on maps like Conti where choke points exist can afford to boom sea and arrive in bronze later. You can even, because of the vast amounts of food coming in as at 36+ villis + fishers in Stone, not only click Bronze late but send Tool troops in even though your enemy is already in Bronze. Even if they have the Wheel it’s still disruptive and the last game I played a month ago I was taking the enemy CA’s down with slingers. I was Palmyra so then started to build stables in secret for mass camels, alas I lost as I was so busy attacking my econ got slack and the enemies ally parked war galleys next to my gold mine murdering lots of expensive villis.

The only real tip that newbies need is

1. '‘never have your Town Centre idle’ as constant villagers = exponential economy growth folllowed by…

2. ‘surplus resources in the bank are not helping you win the game’ unless of course you are intentionally saving for something, it’s a sign of a non-optimised economy.

3. Scout early with a villager and later if building a stables in Tool a proper scout. Knowing where resources and choke points are located is worth the lost villager seconds @Tgaud had me on the ropes but I fought back as he couldn’t find my fleeing villagers. Killing the economy is the most important objective. Often hiding in the plain sight can work I. E near the enemy base on somewhere where the enemy thinks he has cleared.

I’m usually guilty of not following ‘2’ on Conti as I can’t be bothered with farms so end up with wood surpluses in Bronze but I tend to burn it away on warships, particularly if there are narrows as war galleys are great coastal support (deadly if Hittites). If tool rushing and attacked whilst unwalled by an enemy ally in Bronze, hugging the coast with your villis for woodcutting purposes allows you to protect them with Scout ships.

Two great new contributions today. Thank you guys!

Interesting the fact we don’t have early scouts on AoE 1, so we must sacrifice a worker to do this job… I imagine on how difficult if can be if we find a lion roaming around while exploring early…

Hey guys, what about “trush” (tower rush)? Is it a thing on AoE 1 for any civ at least?

And “drush” (dark age, or better, stone age aggression) with club men? Viable with any civ?

@Penelinfi said:

As someone old who hasn’t played in well over a decade (since the Zone took off support), what does this mean? The traditional Bronze Age rush into Chariot Archers has been nerfed?

I guess I would have done Bronze Age Chariot Rush but now I have no idea.

There should be a list of all changes on the upatch site. I think they reduced fire rate very slightly, range -1. Archers take longer to train (except bowman, because he doesn’t need a shirt). Short swordsman instantly available in Bronze Age. Can we please get some swordsmen helmets made up!

It makes things more balanced, so that it’s not all chariot archers. You can do swordsmen, cavalry, slinger more effectively. Even Palmyra camels. Villagers are slower with wheel nerf, now makes cavalry great for raiding, slower units pose more danger.

Guess you can’t run to the other side of the map as easily now :stuck_out_tongue:

Slinger rush can work if you get in early before they can mass long range bowmen or cavalry etc.

Edit: here is a noob rm timeline ;p No chariot archers! Even the AI used camels lol