Official stance on use of AutoHotkey in AOE2 DE

Relax man. If I intended to use it I wouldn’t have posted this on official aoe website :joy:.
I did the auto farm thing cos it sounded like a challenge and was a good puzzle to solve.
Btw, your post sounds like a challenge to randomize/make slightly inefficient farm placements every time so it cant be detected in recs. I’ll do it tomorrow if I feel like it, just for laughs :joy:

This is super cool strictly from a scripting perspective :stuck_out_tongue:

Getting rid of the low hanging fruit is a good way to create some kind of barrier to entry that would discourage most people from continuing to try to cheat, while you’re right that it won’t stop 100% of cheaters, it would probably get rid of a significant portion of them.

Detecting AHK mouse movements should be possible. Maybe using some neural networks or just statistical analysis. I would assume human mouse movement would be difficult to replicate with simple programming like AHK. Seems like an interesting project.

Well it is said that the best place to hide is in plain sight. Call me skeptical, but looking into these kind of things (should be obvious that it is cheating), asking if they are legit and just doing it for “laughs” sounds like a recon mission to brainstorm a way to do exactly what you just said “challenge to hide it from recs”.

I am relaxed man, life is good, and I am not at risk of the proposed IP permaban. I practice to try to improve and do not spend that time programming in search for improvement. Some people might be sweating though.

Actually in recs you cant see player mouse movement / pov. Only statistical/neural network analysis of game data that DE server gets during a live game can detect such scripts or if the player is live streaming his pov.
If you dont get the ‘laughs’ and ‘challenge’ part its fine. Not everyone is like that. You do you, live your simple life, do your practice, continue being the simpleton that you are.

As a simpleton I do like simple things. Cheating should not be encouraged and from what has been said, if this is not detectable, it is not a good thing that it has been posted publicly.

If you have an inclination to do this kind of thing, I would encourage it is raised privately to developers especially if people know it is difficult to prevent (or not even possible). But I guess that concept is difficult for the real geniuses.

1 Like

Yes, absolutely. My detection would have to be built into the the game.

I realize that a remote client (the game in this case) cannot be absolutely trusted. But as it stands, the Aoe2DE client is a trusted source, so a built in analysis and cheat detection would be sensible. If this were ever implemented, thresholds need to be set super low. Or have a manual inspection verification.

“Cheating” is a great way to learn and develop useful computer and programming skills. While I would not condone cheating other people, if this is something that a person finds interesting I would encourage them to dive deeper.

These scripts are not something new. People used them in voobly days. A famous example is making monks OP by programatically selecting one monk out of a group and converting. Voobly added some measures to detect autohotkey scripts and ban those users.
The purpose of this post is for DE to do the same. Maybe not permaban because autohotkey script could be running for something else but prevent the user from multiplayer play. And I cant really slide into dev’s DMs to say this cos I dont know them personally.
But no doubt the real genius here is you who has used his sherlock skills and concluded that I’m a cheater for raising some awareness.

AutoEverything3

In case anyone is interested, I managed to script a farm creator that detects the number of vils selected and places the same number of optimal farms in random positions. The farms placed have a 40% chance of being one tile off to deter the ‘scripting experiment permaban police’ :rofl:

If you have some other fun ideas post it, I’ll give it a go :slightly_smiling_face:

This is amazing :smiley:

I also made a thread before talking about makros.

You could want to play a standard scout rush and while you scout the enemy base with your starting scout you hit feudal age and simply press your makro button which activates the key combo for:
→ go to stable
→ que a scout
→ go to lumber camp
→ research bitaxe
→ go to mill
→ research horse collar
→ go to TC
→ que a villager
→ go back to your scout
—> all within 0.1 seconds

You can do this with pretty much any mouse or keyboard…

This is pretty OP for beginner players as you don’t need to remember much or take your focus elsewhere but it does build bad habits…

2 Likes

Scout rush done to perfection :+1: :rofl:
I added select all TCs and queue 3 vils macro to mouse side button. But apparently using macros is not about bad habits but bad manners when playing ranked.
I did the farm thing cos it came up in this discussion thread and was fun to do. The number of selected vil detection part was tricky as straightforward text detection didn’t work on the captcha like selected vil count, so I had to apply some other maneuvers :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Next i’m thinking of making a togglable auto vil queue when TCs are idle. Making it not queue vils when some tech is being researched in TC will be interesting hahaha.

Someone here in this forum explained me how to use autohotkey to solve an issue many times reported here: “Shift+extra mouse buttons” not working in the game.
This was really useful to me, so i hope they solve this in the game before taking actions against people using autohotkey, because in my case i don’t know about programming and i’m not taking any advantage of the software, just solving something that should already be solved.

Let’s not hate on the guy for asking a question. I’ve been curious about this too. I generally would think key remapping that is not 1 to 1 would be frowned upon, but I could see an argument for information-blind deviance from this (i.e. pressing tab presses ‘q’ twice to prep for house creation). So OPs request for official rulings is valid. Even in 1 to 1, you have some unclear area. Is binding keydown and keyup to different buttons still 1 to 1? If not, how is this fundamentally different from the built in scroll wheel hotkeys which trigger multiple times?