On what makes sense for a possible European DLC

We don’t even have any fictional campaign about the newer civs or any realistic battle outside the historical. I can’t see a gap to fill the game with even more europeans nations. Sorry.

1 Like

Why add this crap?

Do you really prefer to add Polish crap to these two really powerful civilizations?

They should at least be an option for the revolution since this civs is called Germans. Germans are used to describe a group of Germanic nations, while Czechs are Slavs. There would be no problem if this civs was called HRE - which it is mainly based on (HC and the ruler are based on Prussia, but this is not a good representation of the Prussians).

If you hate Austria-Hungary, why not offer anything for the Balkan region that is not represented in any way - Austria-Hungary would do it!

You are definitely right. The Polish revolution is enough as an option for the Russians (the same level of civilization).

This is, in a way, a seed to create a completely new civ.

One shouldn’t exclude the other. We could have the first 2 ages focused on the renaissance, and the latter 2 on the 1800, since those were the periods when they were the best.

Ok so I think that you meant “condottieri” and the condottiero wasn’t really a type of soldier, but it was the leader of a band of mercenaries. And those could be xbows, pikes, swordsmen, cavalry, gunpowder units and so on…

I suggested bersaglieri, which basically are musketeers, but it would give the civ a bit of flavor.

Just give them the standard xbow, with the Imperial upgrade as standard. The crossbow was used by all northern states, but some European powers mistakenly them all for genoans, even if they were from Venice, Pisa, or other cities.

Elmeti is fine, and they could cost only gold. Stradiots could work too.

This is a great idea, they could have 2 modes, one where they fire slowly, but from horseback, and another where they dismount, and fire much faster, but are also immobile.

That seems good.

Yeah no, that was a unit for the campaign since it focused on a single specific mission. Force it into a random civ with nothing to do with it doesn’t make sense. They are also quite weak if you aren’t fighting ottomans.

In any case, I have a fan design of the Italian kingdom civ, if you are interested I can post it in its own topic.

1 Like

i think its worth pointing out that things where not going well in large parts of Italy at this point, like most of southern Italy was besieged by bandits/brigades.

it went okay for Pedimont-Sardinia but not without foreign intervention which was absolutely key for them in their wars.

idk, unit exist in AOE 2, dont know what an Italian swordsman would be called

not a fan of giving Italy a unique musketeer, both because it just isn’t that famous and because id rather Denmark get a unique musketeer since it makes a lot more sense for them to get that since they have a much longer tradition with gun warfare.

but lets in theory say they also get a unique musketeer, what would be special about it?

i think genoa was just more famous for theirs, could also be called Pavis Crossbowmen.

would love to see it!

I’m not denying that, but still the kingdom of piedmont-sardinia, and then the kingdom of Italy, still was a major player in Europe, even if it had its problems.

Also, while the renaissance was an important part of the history of the country, but by the time the new word was discovered, was also at its end, so it would cover a really small time-frame.

Also, all civs have aspects of its 1800 version, so having some for Italy seems fine.

A swordsman :joy: yeah I know about the aoe2 unit, but aoe2 isn’t famous for its historical accuracy :joy:

In fact, in my opinion, it’s one of the few aspects where aoe3 beats aoe2 hands down.

Both can have one, or for the Italians it could be just an Imperial upgrade for the musketeers. In any way, they should have at least an unique gunpowder unit.

Well, an idea is that they can have a ranged resistance when they are locked in melee, since they are famous for the assault at porta pia.

It could be the name of their guard and Imperial upgrades.

I’ll give it a polish and I’ll update it a bit (the new DLC gave me a better idea for the age ups) and I’ll post it.

Then I’ll link it here.

1 Like

sounds good, ill be waiting to see the topic then :slight_smile:

1 Like

If the swiss are german then danes are too lmao

Poles and Danes are way more important than Italians.

So why are you not against Poles in aoe2?

6 Likes

the swiss actually speak German, shocking i know.

1 Like

Solution:

Okay so it seems poles Italians and Danes are the most requested civs from looking at this, so what if we did this

Age of empires 3: the European empires: Danes, poles

And then later down the line

Age of empires 3: the powers of the Mediterranean: Italians and Moroccans.

6 Likes

honestly i am not sure about why he doesn’t like poles, when i started on the forums it was all the rage he was talking about.

1 Like

I am german and i can tell u i dont understand a word when swiss people speak, shocking i know. Also german is only one of 4 languages spoken in switzerland, shocking i know.

Empires my ■■■ lmao. Rather “european nations that always had their lunch money stolen”

constituting 80% of the population.

Switzerland is german.

regardless it changes nothing because they are still not at all important in the periode.

1 Like

Well using that logic Russians Germans, and Swedes would also fit that category since their colonies got taken over during the aoe3 timeline.

I will put the Italians (1492-1861) (because the Renaissance and the Italians Wars 1494-1559;leader civ Cesare Borgia with the personality of Napoleon),they will be a archaic civ how the Spanish (strong in the early game and weak in the late game) and the Poles (Polish-Lituanian Commonwealth 1569-1795 and the Polish-Ottomans wars 1620-1699;civ leader Jan III Sobieski with the personality of Gustavus Adolphus)…three historic battles will be Pavia (1525 between France and the Spanish-HRE alliance) in the Italian Wars;Vienna/Kahlenberg (1683 between Polish/HRE and Ottoman-Tartarian alliance) and Waterloo (1815 between Seventh Coalition and Napoleonic forces)…and after this european dlc (i called “The Europeans Wars” with two civs (Italians-Poles),15 europeans maps with 5 natives peoples and the 3 historic battles,i will launch a free civ with daily challenges for get them (how they did with USA):Danes (colonial empire in the Caribe,West Africa and East India 1524-1814;civ leader Christian IV of Denmark,uncle of the executed Charles I of England)…and after the african dlc,other free civ:the Zulus;civ leader Shaka)…

1 Like

If you put Cesare Borgia, you wouldn’t put an Italian leader. First because he wasn’t Italian, and second because it didn’t reign over all the peninsula.

Carlo Alberto or Vittorio Emanuele, both of Savoy would be better choices.

Not bad, but in that battle the Italians are really the protagonists? A battle during the italian unification would be better.

Also the war of abissinia would be cool, to give a new battle to the etiopians.

1 Like

Yeah, I don’t see Italians happening. Their unification was way too late in the time period and they don’t really fit as any excisting civ’s revolution either unless theyre adding a Italian city state or something as a stand alone civ.
Furthermore the Italians were just not a united front, there were many wars waged on the Italian peninsula but even in those they were never really a major player. I can see Italian maps coming with European DLC, but the Italians themselves would probably function as the natives or mercenaries on such maps.
I feel the Italian popularity mostly comes from an old statement that they were originally planned for the original release, now I don’t know exactly why the Italians were eventually cut but I think that was a good call. Just look at the discussion the Germans are providing, and they at least have some illusion of unity in the HRE.
They are often presented as some archaic civ with a “weird” age up mechanic, both of which are kinda redundant by now. We have Spain as the archaic civ, and I don’t now what they planned with the Italian age up but it has probably been re-used by now. Maybe even as soon as with the native civs.
In fact, if we take the Spanish and replace the flag/leader/HC and then rename some cards and units, perhaps replace some art. You have a pretty good functioning Italians should you really want them ingame. Replace some revolutions to be more fitting for Italians and presto. I can see some sort of skin-pack DLC working for the European civs.

for example
Spain → Italian skin pack
Archaic troops, religious fervor. works easily, the troops would even not really need new models really.
France → Poland skin pack
Poland is mostly famous for its winged Hussar, replace the Courrassier with a winged Hussar model and the Coureurs with some tough Polish peasant.
Sweden → Denmark skin pack
Denmark wants: special musk (carolean) special dragoon (Hackapell) Pike focus (Imperial Pikes). Sweden even has the merc focus that a low population nation like Denmark would like.
Russia → Austria skin pack
Poorly led diverse troops? Russia got ya covered. The cavalry can be reworked to represent the Hungarian/Balkans.
Brits → Prussia skin pack
Musketeers? Grenadiers? Heavy cav? The British have everything the Prussian would want. The only really odd duck would be the longbowman, but it can be replaced by crossbows or skirmishers or perhaps just some Pussian hunter type unit. Rockets can be Krupp guns that fire a exploding projectile mirrorrin the area effect of Rockets or something.

2 Likes