(only) constructive feedback on AoE II RoR

Another thing that I noticed: RoR priests often don’t heal units on their own, they just stand there doing nothing even with units with 10% hp being directly in contact with them. I noticed it especially with siege units (not used to have those be healed by priests) and villagers.

3 Likes

UHD sprites are there, they are just not properly rendered somehow. I reported this as a bug with some examples. This needs to be fixed.

1 Like

• Negatives:

1 - The models, like many said here.

It’s really hard to see the units against the terrain. Even more if player color is yellow or orange. The basic visuals (some units are wearing only pants) make things worse.

2 - Also I noticed the buildings don’t have that >feel< to them.

I mean, you look at a building and don’t get its function at first sight. But I get this is an AOE1 problem, not a porting one.

There are situations when you have to destroy a Town Center but some civs have them real similar to Markets or even Temples. Same with Archery Range and Academy

• Positives:

1 - The campaigns are cool.

They are nowhere near the storytelling drama and depth of the AOE2 campaigns (I’m thinking Jadwiga and Rajendra as examples) but they’re fun to play.

Missions get straight to the point real quick and rarely get past the hour mark.

2 - The so called QoL improvements are as good as advertised.

It feels positively surreal to finally see Chariots and Hoplites actually march in formation.

3 - Romans in AOE2

Many complained but the reality is they fit in. It’s not like the Empire ended and Roman military, culture and way of life disappeared all of a sudden.

Legionary is a strong unit. The Blacksmith armor bonus make them faster and cheaper to fully upgrade. i liked the Centurion too.

In general, they did a good job and I don’t regret buying the DLC. But the issues I pointed made me remember why I never cared about AOE1 after playing it a few times.

• Improvement

PLEASE, don’t add a AOE2 civ conditioned to the player buying a DLC featuring another game’s content, a game many don’t have interest in. People who don’t like AOE1 but wanted to play as Romans in AOE2 had to pay a full DLC price just to get a single civ.

I hope they don’t to this again because I definitely won’t buy an eventual ROR expansion. Good game, but AOE1 is not for me.

2 Likes

I felt the chills second one.

2 Likes

Yea, this bug is in the game since the April patch. Devs have taken notice.

POSITIVE POINTS
Discovery of new civilizations and new campaigns.

NEGATIVE POINTS

1. The default keyboard shortcuts are not the same as on AOE2

2. The gameplay portage could have been much better. It’s too confusing to switch from AOE2 to ROR. I mean it’s AOE 2 right ? Not AOE1… Why ROR is that different from AOE2 ? It looks like an unifinished portage.

3. A feeling of unknown for AOE2 in the future. Personally I’d prefer the devs to focus on the main game, new civilizations, balancing and bug fixing. Without too many fantasies.

It’s still a different game. I don’t get why people complain about the game being too different from AoE2, it was never intended to turn AoE1 into AoE2 with RoR. However, I agree that there should be some kind of learning campaign/art of war to teach players the mechanics of the game.

2 Likes

ROR is sold as a DLC of AOE2. It seems logical to me that the game should be thoroughly revised to integrate the mechanics of AOE2.

Who even uses uhd? Slows the game right down

Positives:

• Being able to play AoE1 without the massive technical limitations (path finding, queuing tasks, etc.).
  • Good campaigns (haven’t played all of them yet).
  • Unique visuals for every unit.
  • Team Bonuses and new civilisation bonuses
  • Access to all the AoE2 terrain and Gaia units (Finally snow in AoE1!)
  • A new civilisation (which is a nice choice in my opinion)
  • New technologies that are all well designed and improve the gameplay
  • No forced AoE2 mechanics/features (changing the drop of buildings, adding a Scout or adding Castles)
  • The right AoE2 mechanics were added (Formations, gates, market exchange and land trade)
  • Bigger selection of official random maps then AoE1DE
  • West Rome for AoE2 is also nice to have. Cool for Early Medieval Scenarios.

Negatives:

• No new units besides trade cart (AoE1 could really need some counter units)
  • No access to ancient AoE2 units in the AoE1 editor (Woad Raider, Tarkan, Ratha, etc.)
  • No access to any new AoE1 units or buildings in the AoE2 editor
  • Generally basically no crossover features (Many AoE2 buildings and units are still in the Dataset and actually work, they are just hidden in the Editor)
  • Some minor bugs
  • Some more new features would have been nice (unique units in particular)
  • Some models seem to be a little low quality? Seems like a bug.

Remains to be seen:

• Future support of RoR with new content
  • Modding potential
  • 3rd party scenarios and campaigns (some already exist)
  • Will they overwrite the AoE2 buildings and units that are still in the AoE1 dataset?

It was never a performance issue for me.
Even on my 5 year old computer it did run perfectly smooth with the 4K pack.

10 Likes

Funny that you mention that. My aoe1 and aoe2 shortcuts are ~95% identical if we match castle/academy and blacksmith/silagePit.

No it is aoe1 not aoe2. The portage is like dev saying that they stop supporting aoe1de and ask aoe1de players to play aoe2ror instead, which will be easier for them to support in case of mods/bugs/pathing/etc, because most stuff will be fixed for aoe2 and these fix will be “offered without additional effort” to aoe1…

I am pretty sure that the devs will focus 90% of the time on aoe2de and not aoe2ror.

3 Likes

Although this has been mentioned, it is far from the official version used in the promotion of ROR.

I recognize the work done for this DLC and it is quite respectable. On the other hand ROR was sold as a DLC of AOE2 when it has nothing to do with it.

AOE2 players simply bought a new civilization, the Romans.

Yes, they would have to port the Egyptian tutorial campaign at least…

That’s true…at least let’s hope they bring more dlcs for RoR in the future…

3 Likes

You clearly dont play 8 man BF FFA 300 POP

But do the 4K textures chance anything?
You are definitely not GPU limited, you only have to render 2D sprites, even if it’s a lot of them.
And the 4K textures should not be more taxing on the CPU.

2 Likes

Perhaps devs should introduce Fish traps to game so fishing ship doesn’t become useless in water map late stage of the game. Could be bronze age building and should be unlocked when you upgrade your fishing boats to fishing ships.

4 Likes

Its absolutely terrible!

6 Likes

If it is really treated as a standalone game that can be sold and launched on its own (not requiring base AOE2), like the Fall of Samurai for Shogun 2, people may view it differently.

Well they may be assuming everyone who would buy AOE1 contents already own AOE2. But that still affects what people expect from it.

Despite the waves of criticism this is getting, I actually quite liked the release and found it enjoyable to play and definitely can see myself playing it more, specially if it becomes supported more by the devs and has new content added to it regularly like the rest of AOE2. I see the devs have tried to strike a balance between keeping the AOE1 purists happy and introducing QOL improvements and I think for the most part they have done this well. Now I don’t know how popular this suggestion and I realise it will change the game quite a bit ### it would be good if they introduce some mechanism for better defense specially in the early game. Right now as it stands the game is extremely snowbally and if one side ages up to the tool age first and manages to get units out into the other’s economy it pretty much ends the game and there is very little you can do in response. I propose giving TCs the ability to fire arrows when garrisoned like in AOE2 as well as increasing tower damage when garrisoned but taking away the ability of towers to shoot at the base again like AOE2. And maybe introducing palisades that are buildable from the stone age to give players that are behind at least a fighting chance. The fact that stone walls are locked behind a prerequisite building as well as a tech makes it just that much harder to tech into as well if you are behind so having some sort of stop gap before getting stone walls is a good thing.

4 Likes

I would propose that tower techs will unlock TCs ability to fire arrows and determine the attack strength of arrows.

Watch tower tech gives TC when garrisoned 3 attack per 3 villager and max to 5 arrows with 5 range.
Sentry tower tech gives TC when garrisoned 4 attack per 3 villager and max to 5 arrows with 5 range.
Guard tower tech gives TC when garrisoned 5 attack per 3 villager and max to 5 arrows with 5 range.

2 Likes