Opinion and suggestion for walls in AOE3

It’s good seeing this thread and post. Pillarless walls are a glitch that hasn’t been removed due to a perception of popularity within the community but it’s an exploit that should be removed.
There are many ways of imagining walls being different in this game that would make them more balanced but they just haven’t done anything except maybe increasing certain offensive capabilities of units even though culverins are still king and stop everything.

People defending walls as they are or even saying they need a buff are just beneficiaries or think of themselves as beneficiaries of the current meta whereas other players who play civs that don’t have the early siege capabilities have the great privilege of just losing for playing the wrong civ.

Sad!

1 Like

Where is revnak? He will appear on this post surely!

2 Likes

The game engine allows have to limit the radius (Line of Sight) of building buildings (for example, a trading post near an enemy city).
I’ve also been asking to limiting Powder shooting for the shooting through walls, to make it look realistic, this will be useful for little-used crossbowmen and other archers!

2 Likes

I think the developers should copy the system of the battle of middle earth 2, the walls are built automatically from a pillar originally built by a villager and every certain distance a new pillar is necessarily built.

1 Like

I’ve espoused this many times, but pillarless walls need to go. Double the cost and build time of wall segments, make pillars free and built instantaneously, and make it so the player cancelling a pillar destroys all linked walls so that the pillarless trick doesn’t work.

3 Likes

Also, Tilanus did something on AoE3:NE years ago that I enjoyed with walls : the LOS of walls, regardless of techs, was 0. I have never seen in my life a piece of wood or concrete raise an alarm when attacked.

I would like to see that brought back, with even the fact that some units (petards, grenadiers, all units with a siege tag) would not trigger the alarm when attacking walls, maybe ?

Also, people often compare walls of AoE3 and 2. This is a mistake, as AoE3 gates hard-counter melee units, while AoE2 walls force you to sacrifice units because walls are pathable for everyone.

Just keep this in mind.

4 Likes

If you say his name three times in the mirror he will appear!