Opinion: The Problem of AoE IV

Good point, let me review your entire post history. I’ll get started on it right now. Just wait for me to finish please.

surely ignore the main part and do whatever you want… you came from BeastQT or you are eastQT just to troll. Nothing new.
ez to ignore list.

fair enough but the game has so many flaws that is imposible to ignore and for a veteran player it feels bland and way worse when aoe 2 player reacted to aoe 3 or aoeo

1 Like

If could be worse. You could get sick of AoE2 players telling you why this game you do not enjoy is unenjoyable because it isn’t enough like AoE2 without any understanding at all of AoM, AoE3, or AoEO.

3 Likes

Main problem is that it launched as an incomplete game without the stuff that hopefully the spring update will finally bring (and which might be too late). They shot themselves in the foot and they knew it. Gaming industry today… what more needs saying.

Oh Im also sick of the few here who keep palavering about AoM, AoE3 and especially AoEO which almost nobody play nor care about. It’s so cringy.

I laughed way too hard at this, so true!! :rofl:

Actually, AOE1 and AOE2 were released on disk. Do you know about it?
And there were no fixes etc because the internet was not widely known and used to update the game like now.
People actually played AOE1 and AOE2 through LAN.
And yea, these two games were so incredibly balanced without any bugs and glitches. It ran as it was intended. I have never experienced any crashes etc when it ran on disk.
And here in 2022, you pretending that technology did not improve for 23 years…

1 Like

Hmmm, it is not that I want to see the AOE4 fail, but to improve.
However, people like you who do not know what is AOE telling crucial AOE features are not essential is just a joke.

1 Like

And you criticising opinions and their experience in the game is also a questionable thing to do.
It seems you want us to be silent and hopes the devs find out the issues and fix them someday.
To be fair, that sounds like a person who does not care about this franchise.
If I didn’t care, I wouldn’t post anything. It would have been a waste of time.
But it is not, I truly care about AOE as a whole and wish it succeeds.
I am just sad because they actually repeated the same mistakes that happened in AOE3 (skipping crucial features and mechanics) and that was the main reason. Anyone with AOE knowledge will understand it except those who don’t know what is AOE. And they would attack me, just like you because I said something you don’t excell at.

1 Like

As a casual player, I am waiting for the spring update. Because even I see things that need a change and I really like how the game feels.

If the spring update won’t make the game better I’ll just play with bots, I like standing against the tide but some things in life you just can’t move and it’s not worth trying to fight a losing battle just for the sake of glory.

Back then games had to release after vigorous QA testing because there was no over the internet patching model. All major game studios these days have scaled back their QA. I’m not going to single out Relic for following industry trends despite not liking it.

This is the entitled opinion of the AoE2 purists that really grind my gears. “You didn’t play enough of my game to have an opinion. If only you knew about the glory of AoE2 you would hate this game too”

I believe this is the core of the problem. You believe that your devotion to AoE2 makes your opinion more valid than anyone else. AoE4 isn’t AoE2 super definitive edition and wasn’t meant to be. It’s a different game with a different engine and with a different design philosophy and some people have issues accepting that.

I’ll concede the game probably should of launched with the Spring Update in it but coming here belittling peoples opinion because “they don’t know what age is” is ridiculous elitism.

I agree with whoever said it was released too soon. I didn’t play much AoE 2 to compare but it’s true industry-wide that games these days feel like beta/alpha versions for the first year or two while the public tests all the bugs.
Personally for me the memory leaks in the mastery menu and game in general are an omen to me, and some of the bugs seem like they will take months to fix because of how some mechanics work. Balance changes are easy but I think to make the game as fluid and solid as a CD-ROM release will take a year or more. Which is a shame because that’s about the lifespan of a video game these days in my opinion. Especially since this is basically just a remaster or reskin of any other RTS. I’ll keep playing but I think it is not at E-sport level yet which I thought was the intention?

I knew nothing about AoM, AoEIII, AoEO, but from @AndyPXIII I learned that when you decide to go toward less symmetric civs design, as the devs did in AoE IV (in my opinion rightfully), those are the games to look at. Otherwise your bound to repeat old mistakes and waste time reinventing the wheel. What does it matter, when speaking of civs design, if those games are less popular? Zero. That could be due to entirely different reasons.
For example, I never played AoE III because I’m not in the least interested in that particular time frame and I couldn’t suffer that perspective camera: but these are personal testes. I recognize that the game is exceptionally good (speaking of quality and gaming industry today): that type of camera is appropriate for that type of gameplay (smaller maps, smaller bases, fewer units, less focus on direct economy management … on the contrary it is not appropriate at all for AoEIV), the home towns and shipments make perfect sense for that time period, the card system was a big innovation with great potential for strategy, the age up mechanics built upon what AoM had previously done, etc. It’s a mistake to dismiss those games on the base of player numbers.

3 Likes

A lot of the people you are belittling, don’t only play aoe2.

It is just a benchmark.

Would you prefer it if we made comparisons to SC? And discussed how this game lacks aspects from SC which needs adjusting?

Just because you like a game, doesn’t mean the game is perfect, it doesn’t even mean the game is well designed, or in a good enough state.

To marginalise people based on their preference for a game is in itself insulting.

FWIW I compare aoe4 mainly to aoe2 because it’s the easiest comparison to the title that was vastly more successful than all other aoe titles . But I have 1000hr in aoe3, 2000 in COH2, 2000 in SC2, 2000 across total war titles.

So I’m a simp because I made an aoe2 comparison?

And the same applies to everyone else you are belittling

4 Likes

Guys, I’m sorry for my last harsh post, which was deleted accordingly.
It’s just annoying that so many discussions end up in a not really helpful argument, weather it is helpful to compare AoE IV to - especially - AoE II or not.
As I already pointed out earlier, I’d really like AoE IV to shine.
So, I only can invite those to further discuss this topic, who are honestly interested in pointing out the reasons why AoE IV seems not to convince a rather large part of e.g. the AoE II player base.
Hoping that - indeed by repeating those topics again and again - the devs will add features which improve the game without changing it severely from what was there vision of the next AoE game.

First of all, I did give some examples; you might read my post again.
For example, I mentioned more freedom in setting up the game (expecially individual matches, not ranked).

Honestly, sometimes it’s not that easy to describe, which particular features (e.g. in AoE II) made a game as great as it is. I mean AoE II had / has it’s drawbacks - e.g. countless and the very similar civs, to mention one of it.
I remember an interview with the devs of Battlefield who wanted to deliver a Bad Company 3 game. But they - and the playerbase too - were not really able to tell the reasons why e.g. Bad Company 2 was so much fun despite having its drawbacks. :wink:

But to name a few suggestions:
Give the players the OPTION to:

• configure the game for their prefered game style (popcaps, colors, random civ selection, game speed, diplomacy etc.)
  • allow to set a victory condition as “conquest” where you have to completely destroy the enemy not only the landmarks (winning only by destroying the landmarks speeds up this comparably fast game even more)
  • allow to pause MP games
  • allow to save MP games (yes, playing with friends / family, this feature sometimes is really helpful.
  • allow to zoom out more
  • attach stone walls to palisade walls and to attach your walls to those of your ally

What they could generelly improve:

• better hotkey setup including mouse buttons (I know they’re already working on that)
  • include comfort features like Steam cloud sync etc.
  • include more unit stances like aggressive, defensive, hold position, passive
  • EDIT: improve the AI!
  • etc.

This is only to name a few. There’s more they could to without changing the spirit of AoE IV severely.

Most of this could be disabled in the standard settings or generally disabled for ranked games, I don’t care. But as I said. Give more options!

1 Like

It’s a bit like if a car manufacturer brought out a new model of car that dropped loads of features that the previous model had. No air con, or power steering, or anti-lock brakes etc, and it costs 3x the price of the old model. Some people, who have never owned any car before, might think the new car is absolutely fine. Anyone who owned the model before would see it as pretty bad to be so much more expensive while lacking so many features. I.e. you can enjoy a game, even if it’s nowhere near as enjoyable as it ought to be. I also enjoy playing AoE 4, but at the same time, I think it could be, and should be, so much better than it is.

8 Likes

That’s a terrific analogy. If you live by the brand name, then you die by the brand name. I do not go onto the forums of any other video game and complain that their game is not enough like earlier Age of Empires games. The only reason we are comparing AoE4 to the other five Age games is because it is being flown under the Age of Empires masthead.

Calling something a sequel implicitly states that it will continue and develop on the themes of the earlier titles.

6 Likes

Yep, and I feel like Relic and Microsoft alienated from AOE fans

Yeah, either Ensemble Studio was formed by aliens to implement all the features that this games lacks in their releases 20 years ago or Relic really underperfomed. I am always advocating for innovations but knowing that if in this simple game there are so many missed things in a more complex game I feel like it would be a complete chaos.

1 Like