Ottomans 1v1

IMO the design of nizam fusilier is stupid as hell in the first place. They had better be reverted to some normal musketeers.
I don’t know why the devs are so fond of forcing units to be unique. AOE3 already has a lot of “pseudo-unique” units that do almost the same thing as their counterpart, but they seem to feel obliged to add at least one unique trait to the new units. To make matters worse, they actually stack multiple absurd unique traits to them.
Not to mention there is a lot of less absurd traits that have not been implemented. But they still make this literally all-purpose unit. It’s a great thing they are less accessible.

2 Likes

No, the Nizam Fusiliers are fine for a being so unique, since it is a unit that is hard to get in large quantities. What is bonkers is taht tehy are btter than Janissaries, considering tehy were a massive historic failure, and the Ottomans did not win any wars when they crteated their New Order Infantry.

They just came to be because the Janissary Corps was too politically influential, and the Sultans needed them to go the way of the Dodo.

" While the Nizam-i Djedid was ultimately a failure for Selim III, the effort would be continued under the reign of Mahmud II following the destruction of the Janissary Corps during the Auspicious Incident. Military defeats against Russia would not cease however."

2 Likes

Yeah that’s why I say it’s a great thing they are less accessible.

And they were actually an imitation of European line infantry, but appear in the game as a combination of line infantry and skirmishers with siege damage and counters artillery. This is literally the all-purpose unit that counters its counters, but less complained than caroleans or ashigaru (despite the fact that these do not violate the counter rules as much as the nizam fusiliers) because they are less accessible.

Which is the proper way of making an all-purpose unit that counters it’s ounters, in a game.
There is certainly design space for such units in RTS, like the Mammoth Tank in the old C&C games (countered Tanks, Aircraft and Infantry, it was basically counterless) which was so brutally expensive, you could not realiably mass them, and so the opponent could just swarm them to death with cheaper Tanks.

I like what the devs did with the Nizam, it is a good unit, and helps Ottomans a bunch, but they cannot be spammed or are available before Age 3, so they avoid the Carolean and Ashigaru issues.

3 Likes

I do think it is okay balance-wise.

But I have a similar feeling as you do, that it feels a bit weird this strange all-purpose unit is the nizam-i cedid army (which was a short-lived failed attempt and not different from standard European army).

In fact, because they actually lost against the Russian Line Infantry, the difference may have been that they were actually worse than both the European Infantry, and the old guard they were supposed to replace.

Buffing ottomans in 1v1 is a sticky problem. They used to be very powerful in the original release, and got several rounds of nerfs until they got on the ground. They were a tad more powerful than what release Sweden used to be, so that should tell you something.

The free villagers from the TC is actually a very powerful bonus. I normally get the first 2 villi speed upgrades before I hit age 2, if I plan on booming. Given that villagers don’t need food, it is trivially easy to go FF (Ottomans have one of the fastest FF in the game), and get a second TC. I don’t think I need to mention that the 2 / 3 TC FF boom for ottomans is absolutely disgusting.

I don’t think Ottomans need any buffs in the early game. They are very powerful as it is, and even though they may apparently lack flexibility in age2, they have all the main unit types that are typically seen in age 2 combat.

If a buff is needed, probably the best idea is to add 50 wood to the starting creates or something very very minor.

1 Like

No what’s toxic is that he afks at the start to BM his opponent

I like the 50 wood idea, then the ottoman will likely chop another 50 wood ( delaying age up time ) but to make up for the delayed age up, they could build two trade posts in age 1

I do not know why they talk about the Nizam riflemen if they do not know, They do not even know their base statistics, How it will be a viable strategy if you spend 3 shipments just to use them, Less if we talk about the revolution, That is done 1/80 games with Ottomans.

Either build a second TP or get villiger training time.

1 Like

Just look at the video and see how viable it is.
Nizam can counter any unit, and after FI they shadow tech. In industrial you get the infinite nizam and infinite spahi card. If done right its GG.

In team games especially i use this strat to great effect since i dont have the raiding problem that Mashed potato had.

Revolution with egypt is actually VERY VERY BAD since you need 7 mins to recover all your eco (you need to send 3 more cards - citizen, nizam and fort - and you lose your eco settler bonus.

1 Like

I have another of the same confrontation with other high-level players in ranked, but with a different result
#7 📚 ANÁLISIS de una partida BRITÁNICA de nivel ALTO - Con YOQPASA [Aula AoE3] - YouTube

No only the game is not ranked, (and i dont know their ranking), but Otto player did not go to nizam fast enough (i skimmed though the game…)

1 Like

I understood that if it is a classified game since I speak Spanish and I understand what they say, “Yo que pasa” has approximately 1700 elo, just as you reprimand the Ottoman, I can also say many things about the British in the Aussie drongo video , He was able to beat him only by micreating with the LB at age 2, It is not worth raiding an Ottoman who is obtaining resources inches from the urban center, Also an albino made mistakes in the choice of his army, I can say many things but I do not say them, because nobody is perfect. I only complain that it is not a strong strategy, In addition to how predictable it is with the letter that lowers the cost of the church + the shipment of the Janizaros in age four

this strat is so cancer! so boring

It is really an edge case scenario for the Ottomans and cannot be part of standard play/meta. I am pretty sure this strategy can be counted by a rush.

1 Like

Ottomans simply will always have to either have cancer troll strategies or be a weak civ, the bonus they have is very difficult to balance

1 Like

I would prefer to say they are designed as an asymmetric civ, with an Economy that is both slow and on auto-pilot, and are forced to get all military buildings to have viable variety in their forces, but compensate by having much stronger tha normal Shadow Tech unit shipments, that they can abuse easily.

The Ottos are just designed to be different, and play, by far, the most exotic from all the vanilla AoE3 civs.

2 Likes

True, ottomans are considered the civ with the lowest skill cap, meaning that they are very easy to play at lower levels for weaker players, but if your a good player your going to have a much better time with a high skilled civ like Germans or Chinese because while ottomans have more room for error, at a level where the amount of error that happens is minimal, ottomans can’t compete well. Pretty much what I’m saying, ottoman with zero mistakes is much weaker than France with zero mistakes

1 Like