Pathing still terrible

What was wrong with old pathing btw? I’d rather have old pathing, with whatever issue that had, than this new thing.

Weird things happen, such as:

1. units teleporting inside my army and ignoring collision box (relevant for example in Knights vs CA, where the Knights often get a surround they shouldn’t by teleporting inside the CA models)

2. units moving randomly when regrouping. The behavior became less predictable than before. This is very relevant in… basically any early Castle Age fight, and makes games very random. Dodging Mangonel shots now is basically down to luck, will your units regroup in a bad way, or not? Knights are also unresponsive and units on Stand Ground no longer prioritize the selected target.

3. units freezing in place have the power to turn games around, I’ve been denied 2-3 vill kills because my Scouts have decided to freeze in place for 2-3s (a lot in ingame time), analogously for Knights in early Castle Age. These are the fights that allow you to turn around a civ disadvantage btw, if you can’t rely on these fights and your superior micro to even out a disadvantage, then you are basically forced into a macro game of Imp vs Imp every game, and your civ might be ill-suited for that (e.g. Mongols vs Aztecs late game).

Really if this is what “Improved Pathing” looks like, let’s get the Legacy one back.

7 Likes

I quit this game a few months ago because every time I drag a lot of vills forward to build a castle some of them are stuck and freeze in my base

4 Likes

This is part of the usual loop: new patch or DLC → new bugs and worse pathing → hotfix → less bugs and less bad pathing → new patch or DLC → new bugs and worse pathing → and so on.

9 Likes

the forever unending torture of pathing

3 Likes

I learned from Survivalist that when units are moving (not patroling or attack moving) their are like air, so knights can freely jump on top of them. At least it’s the case for xbow. Sounds like CA are similar.

This occurred a ton since RoR last year Got fixed for a while but apparently reoccurring.

I’m pretty sure that the issue is that they can’t just revert to pathing back.
I’m just making educated guesses based on some stuff the developers have mentioned over the years.

We know the old pathing was implemented in a very crude and hacky way. The pathing and the formations was all over the code base in different places. Not just one isolated class of functions.

So my guess is that they are rewriting the pathing from scratch to make it into something that can be maintained and where new features can be added. And apparently this process is not going as smoothly as we would hope.

AoE2 is not a modern game made by a studio following modern coding standards using modern languages.

I wish the developers would just tell us why the pathing is worse than in the past so we don’t need to do stupid guesses.

4 Likes

I played Haboob and clicked into the enemys base with my scouts, they froze and didnt move inside as only the middle was walled but the sides were open. Pathing is worse than ever before, fix the game before you add new content! It is very frustating.

Maybe they are going to introduce DLCs in HD and they are promoting HD🫠

melee units pathing is getting worse again. they would kinda path backward to regroup like previously before entering a small area and also fr freezing etc