PC freezes randomly ingame

:arrow_forward: GAME INFORMATION

• GAME BUILD #: 10944061
  • GAME PLATFORM: Steam
  • OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 11

:arrow_forward: ISSUE EXPERIENCED

:point_down: DESCRIBE THE ISSUE IN DETAIL (below). LIMIT TO ONE BUG PER THREAD.

My PC freezes randomly while playing the game. I cant even open the task manager, the only way is to hard reset and press the powerbutton. If i have music playing in the background it stops when the freeze happens. The AOE2 music however keeps playing even though everything else is totally unresponsive.
It usually happens completely out of the blue, but today was the first time the game kept stuttering before it happened.
The issue arose some time after i switched out my GTX 1060 for a AMD 6700xt in january. The gpu seems to be fine though, since this has only ever happened while playing aoe 2. Drivers are up to date. This is the only piece of harware that changed.

:arrow_forward: FREQUENCY OF ISSUE

:point_down: How often does the issue occur? CHOSE ONE; DELETE THE REST!

• Less than 25% of the time / matches I play (RARELY)
    Sometimes it doesn’t happen for over a week even if i play every day.

:arrow_forward: REPRODUCTION STEPS

:point_down: List CLEAR and DETAILED STEPS we can take to reproduce the issue ourselves… Be descriptive!

I cant reproduce the issue, since it seems to be completely random. Sometimes it happens early in the match, other times after over an hour.

:arrow_forward: IMAGE

:point_down: ALWAYS attach a PICTURE (.jpg, .png, .gif) or VIDEO (.mp4, YouTube link) that highlights the problem.

I can’t add a picture, but the screen just totally freezes. No errormessage.

:arrow_forward: GAME FILES (SAVE / RECORDING)

:point_down: Attach a SAVE GAME (.aoe2spgame) or GAME RECORDING (.aoe2record) of the match where you encountered the issue. Link it below if using an external file service.

The log folder for that day only has one file called “Main” in it, which is completely empty. This happened in the first game of the day.

The AMD6700XT consumes around 100watts more power than the GTX1060
Are you sure your power supply can handle that?

What you could do, is limit the frames to 60 FPS to make sure the card doesnt consume more power than needed

I have a 750W psu so that shouldnt be an issue and fps are capped at 165. Also other games that need 100% gpu utilization run just fine.

hmm yeah was just an idea.
Can you check the ram sticks?
Like try some other ram demanding game, and see if that goes down?

I got freezes while single player. It slows down the whole computer to a halt. My task manager showed me that the game is using 96% of my processor power.

Same issue after the April patch. I even got a BSOD which forced me to restart the PC.

I’m not sure which game I would test for that, but memtest didn’t detect any issues if that helps.

1 Like

@aliiiiiiiix
Hey man, I have the exact same issue as you. Random complete PC freeze while playing, I hear game sound and Discord indefinitely (I think), and my friends can still hear me for about 10-20 secs. Only hard restart is possible then. No blue screen, no error message, nothing in the Event Manager. I also recently upgraded to an AMD card, the 6650XT.

Did you ever solve this issue? I’ll reinstall Windows 10 at the end of August (don’t have time before that) and hope that helps.

Hi @errorrr404
Try disabling overlays(Nvidia, Discord, Steam). If you use antivirus, try adding the whole folder of the game to the exception list.

Thanks, will do. I’ll report back sometime next week probably

1 Like

Having the same issue, just had this happen to me 3 minutes ago for the 8th time this month

(Edit to add more details) : My PC specs are RTX 2070 Super, i5 13600k, DDR5 6000 cl32, MSI PRO Z790-A WIFI bios version: 7E07vA2, Windows 11. (have had this hardware since the start of 2023, GPU earlier than that)
This has been happening for a month maybe two now and it usually happened when I was in the "ranked " tab before or after queuing for 1v1 games though it did happen in other menus too like the main menu (I could be mistaken I don’t remember well but it usually happens in the ranked menu) it usually freezes and nothing and I mean nothing works once it freezes, not ctrl alt delete, not ctrl shift esc, not alt f4, not Windows + D. I don’t really do anything to trigger this. and last detail is that the game can even be in the background and still cause this, yesterday I had aoe2 running in the background while I was browsing Twitter a bit and it froze while I had Twitter and not aoe2 on my screen with the same problems as I had when it froze when aoe2 was on the screen (I also checked temperatures and they are more than fine in the 60-65 at worst usually, this only happens when I have aoe2 launched)

My condolences :confused: Last week I would have said it’s probably an AMD driver/card related issue, but now it happens to you too with an Nvidia card.

The good news: I got a new motherboard, CPU and memory this week and had to reinstall Windows 10 - now the freeze hasn’t happened again, I’m guessing the Windows reinstall probably was the solution for me (game reinstall didn’t help).

I can’t say for sure that it is resolved as I only had time for one game, but before I couldn’t even play that long without a freeze. If it happens again I will post an update.

@Felizon89 If it happens again I will test your suggestions, for now I hope it is resolved

1 Like

The same thing is happening to me. It jsut freezes out of the blue in 1 out of 20 matches maybe. Discord keeps running, I can hear my friends but they can’t hear me. The keyboard becomes 100% unresponsive and the Lock buttons stop working. Only a hard reset can fix it.