Persian War Elephant

To reply with another what if:

What if the WE could be useful in games where you don’t have extreme excess of food, without becoming overpowered in situations where you do have the food?

Looking at the stats, an Elite WE has more power than 2 Paladins. It could still be a beastly pop-efficient unit if it cost 2 pop space. After that change it could receive some buffs to make it more useful in 1v1s. Sure it’s good design that you’ll still prefer Paladin if you need mobility or are facing monks. But imo the WE should be the better unit for pitched battles, including cases where you’re facing halbediers and aren’t pop-capped.
(I mention halbediers specifically because they’re a common counter in 1v1s, and because Paladins can outrun them easier, and because they’re silly efficient vs WE in terms of resources.)

Population space is something back in 1995 Ensemble Studio did not take into account, so that one is out.

However, as I just said, WE is slow but very tanky. So in what scenario would people prefer WE over knights even if both cost the same amount of food? During the early to mid castle age, I believe people prefer mobility over tankiness as fights can happen all over the map. So a faster unit that has decent stat will be a better choice.

You know monk is a very good counter when knight number is not very high, and getting a conversion can easily tilt the eco balance in the converter’s favour. Imagine elephants are being built, and get converted. Suddenly, you need to deal with a bunch of beefy cavalry that takes quite a while to bring down, and worse if you dont invest into pikeman at all.

Currently, WE’s high food cost incentivise people to not build WE in early to mid castle age when food eco is still building up. When the food eco is established and there are still some gold left, WE starts to become a more attractive alternative to knight when you just want to push the battle line forward, as knight (then cavalier/paladin) cannot hold as well against pikes/halbs but elephants can.

Imo this is where WE is supposed to be, not a unit that must be made in early to mid castle age.

1 Like

oh here you go. Hera vs Yo in NAC. look at that. Genoese Crossbow. that brings my total UU that are used at some point or another up to 28. still more then half. still made more then the never you claim. still makes me wonder how you can sit there and ask questions that aren’t true.

also BfA2. game 4. Malay unique unit were made. 29 out of 45 seen Parthnan.

here you go. tatoh vs max. more gbeto, and boyars. 30 out of 45 seen parthnan. that is 66% of all unique units.

oh yes i remember this video, here you go. war elephants. 31 out of 45 unique units made. same series also gave us longbows, again. seen them about 5 or 6 times so far just at casual glance.

2 Likes

Do you not understand what I mean by “not seen”?
By not seen, I DO NOT mean they were never ever seen, ever outside of CBA and UU videos,

I mean the frequency of seeing them is ABYSMALLY low than would be expected for a unit of that stature and in-game description, and even then they are not as cost effective as some generic units available to the same civ.

War Elephants, Cataphracts, Genoese Crossbowmen, Boyars, Teutonic Knights, Elephant Archers, Ballista Elephants, Turtle Ships, Missionaries, Mamelukes, Longbowmen, Shotel Warriors, Gbetos and Orjan Guns are all examples of this happening.

And this sheer number of examples is is what alarming.

Viper put them at the A tier, they are scary in team games at very late game

no. because there is a difference between “not seen” and “rarely seen”.
also there is this quote from you just the other day

so which is it parthnan? are they rarely seen? or never seen? or not seen often? either way - you have moved your goal posts then from your initial statement and are proving exactly why NO ONE SHOULD TRUST ANYTHING YOU SAY

then maybe you should say that and stick to that, instead of saying one thing and then backpedaling.
you want to know what the difference is?
one is being honest, and inspires trust in your word, and the other is not, and causes you to have to backpedal and makes you look completely dishonest and untrustworthy.

considering you exaggerate so much, can you understand why so few people trust what you say?

Never seen is obviously not true literally for any unit, not even the Scenario editor ones…

You’re not supposed to take everything literally (like Drax from GoTG movies, are you Drax an alien species who takes everything literally word-to-word or a Human living everyday life?).

“Never happens”/“Never seen” is usually meant in the statistical sense, i.e. hardly ever happens, or hardly ever observed .

@MatCauthon3
While you’re so worried about the Leitis, currently by far the most powerful UU, and very correctly (if you ask me) argued by many to be OP, this below has been happening since decades:

War Elephants, Cataphracts, Genoese Crossbowmen, Boyars, Teutonic Knights, Elephant Archers, Ballista Elephants, Turtle Ships, Missionaries, Mamelukes, Longbowmen, Shotel Warriors, Gbetos, Samurais and Orjan Guns are all examples of this happening.

And this sheer number of examples is is what alarming.

1 Like

no, it’s not obvious, because you exaggerate so often, no one knows when you are being honest.

yes and it’s obvious when most people are being figurative, but you spend so much time exaggerating no one knows when to take you seriously and when you aren’t. the whole point i am making is that you should STOP Exaggerating so much, because it only HURTS YOU.

yeah no. never means never.

uhhh yeah, that’s why its seen so often, oh wait. no.

You’re really making me repeat this? You yourself have said that hardly any pro 1v1 games go to mid/post imperial, the stage where UUs are used most, and if games are expected not to go these, no one is going to research Elite Upgrades or invest in any UU.

Even in one which is borderline OP as you mass them (possible only in the Imperial Age).

and yet i see mangudai, kipchaks, plumes, CKN, and others all far more then i see Leitis, even in games where Lithuanians reach imp i see them going more for cavalier/paladin then i do for Leitis.

nice try at your attempt to change the subject though.
and this is just yet more example of you exaggerating. Liereyy literally showed us this weekend how good Leitis aren’t. game 2. according to you Leitis are supposed to be super cost effective. yeah. they did a good job of trading effectively against those halbs didn’t they?

1 Like

TG games are expected to get to that point

War Elephants are monsters when combined with Crossbows and Hussars. The high amount of cavalry options and economic bonuses also helps a lot.

The unit should never be used alone. It should always be combined with other units. This feature applies to all units in the game.

2 Likes