Petition for hunting gaia variation

I know, but it would make sense for other civilizations as well.

1 Like

but it is boring to see it just standing, it needs some kind of animation
Malians can slaughter it but it removes the cow.
When it is stationary and alive it needs some kind of animation and that would be cooler

1 Like

Do Malian cows fatten up like in AOE3DE?

Always liked that little detail. Though, to be fair, there was a mechanic tied to it.

As awful as it sounds, I suppouse I’m happy that Malian cows in the Ranch aren’t frozen like Stable horses.

1 Like

Malian cow quicktip: shift queue movement for perpetual mooing

Then we’re taking away one of the unique aspects of Malians if we give everyone cattle and ranches.

Then every civ has to be balanced around having passive, population free, food generation. Makes things less varied and unique.

1 Like

Yes, that’s true, and that’s one of the things that makes me think that AOE-4 was a step back from AOE-3, since all civilizations can create cattle, although only African civilizations give them a real utility.

If it had been a mechanic built into the game from the start this wouldn’t have been a problem.

No, in fact they would be more unique. Can you imagine each civilization with a different breed of cattle? Even if it was just aesthetically they would be more unique. In addition, all civilizations have things in common regarding the economy such as fishing, agriculture and trade, which is basically the same for all, and not only in AOE-4, in all AOE.

Well, the same thing happens in AoE 3 that you create cows and sheep in the pens, except that only Africans give it utility through the resource of influence

Currently one civ is designed around having population free passive food and gold generation. They can get by with less villagers, allowing more military population.

This makes them unique. If you give that to everyone, then they are no longer unique in that way.

Functionally, the color of the cattle is irrelevant.

Well, cattle is something in common that most civilizations had. This is what should be considered first, but I won’t delve into this because it will most likely never happen. The game was designed to be a mediator between AOE-2 and AOE-3 with hints from other games and that’s why we will never see such daring things.

This brings me back to the topic and maybe we could have different skins of animals of the same species depending on the region, regardless of whether they are practically the same.

How malian cows move if captured by a scout?

I want to see at least two new biomes added to the game soon:

• A grassy African savanna biome, with gazelle, elephants, and lions replacing the standard deer, boar, and wolves.
  • A tropical Southeast Asian biome, with tigers replacing wolves (this could also happen to the Asian temperate and subtropical biomes already in the game).

Of course, if they choose to add more civilizations from different parts of the world, more biomes would go with those (e.g. a tropical American biome with peccaries and jaguars if they add Mesoamerican or Andean civilizations).

4 Likes

What about a snowy/icy biome? I think that should take priority seeing as we already have three different deserts. We also already have a subtropical eastern biome. Though to be fair, they are kind of lacking in visuals.

In a way, I was kind of hoping they’d go back and “fix” the old Biomes. Taiga Winter could look a lot more wintery. Gobi Desert could look like an actual desert. And the Subtropical biome could feature fewer european foliage, and have more exclusive trees than just bamboo. It is rather ugly to see the Elm tree appear as filler in biomes it doesn’t belong to, it makes biomes feel less unique and have less of a distinct natural aesthetic.

Might I also add that trees are too short and thin in this game? I’m not asking them to block your view or anything; but they feel like Warcraft-esque height. The problem with this, is that they’re rather thin as well, so a forest rarely ever looks like a forest. It looks like a bundle of sticks on the floor. I am guessing this is why they are reusing the Elm so much as a filler asset, hence it is very bushy and can give that foresty look.

But, why instead not do it with appropriate trees that are designed in a way that doesn’t, well, look off?

3 Likes