Petition for hunting gaia variation

how can a 1999, let alone a 1997 game, be more alive?

1 Like

But thatā€™s easier, as AoE 2 is a much more polished sequel than AoE 1ā€¦and also those of Ensemble always put love to their gamesā€¦

1 Like

Cows also follow their herdsmen. It would make sense.

Regarding this topic, let me complement it with this:

I want crocodiles, panthers and other animals. Even the AOE-1 has some of this:

I think that in AOE-4 the map was just a place to battle and get resources. It was designed to be practical in battle and economy, but not more than that. Basically made for sports and competitive play.

4 Likes

But no customisable hotkey during the first 8 month and weird hitbox, so not so e-sport / competitve friendly.

1 Like

almost as if the development teams didnā€™t communicate on specifics

1 Like

Yes, and itā€™s a shame the truthā€¦ I prefer to play AoEO which is more colorful and deep than a barren game devoid of life and that is pure forest just ā€¦

3 Likes

Iā€™m talking purely from a visual animation standpoint. The sheep do a little bounding animation so that their speed is enough to keep up with the scout.

I think for some animals this would look very silly.

Well if they made this design decision with ā€œanyhow weā€™ll only have sheep as herdables foreverā€ on mindā€¦that would be really bad news.

2 Likes

I think some other herdable animals, like goats for example, would look perfectly reasonable.

Cows are probably out anyway because of Malians having them as a unique mechanic.

For hostile animals and hunt there are tons of possibilities.

1 Like

i avoid water maps like the plague. 1) i dont like the naval gameplay but mostly 2)2 times out of 3 my laptop just wants to die when thereā€™s water in my screen and i start falling behind. And i mean behind, like 60-70 seconds behind lol

1 Like

In my case, Iā€™m 5 minutes behind, but in the land of so much lag that the game generates ā€¦

iā€™d love to kill a lion and eat it lol

1 Like

A little bit of everything, not necessarily lionsā€¦ deers, goats, chickens and wild boars in Europe, water buffaloes in Asia, deers, elephants and wild boars in Africa and in America capybaras and turkeysā€¦in AoE 3 you have about 30 different types of animals to eatā€¦

1 Like

Any animal that is referred to as cattle would make sense. Why would a cow look bad compared to a sheep? Iā€™m not questioning you or contradicting your argument, donā€™t take it the wrong way, itā€™s just not clear to me.

1 Like

Personally, the fact that a cow is twice the size will introduce wrinkles r.e. physics footprint (especially as a carcass).

Animations imo can be tweaked, they donā€™t have to bounce like the sheep currently do. My concerns are less aesthetic and more practical.

Iā€™m talking purely about the animations.

Since herdable follow scouts they have to move at the same speed as scouts. They also get a speed boost to catch up to scouts when they get in range.

If you watch youā€™ll notice the sheep do a little bounding animation.

I just think something like a cow would look very strange in this case. Partially due to its larger size.

Maybe they could make the animation look fine though, Iā€™m not sure, thatā€™s definitely not my area of expertise.

An alternative would also be to just have different mechanics for different herdables, such as some not following scouts, but I think thatā€™s not a great idea and against what seem to be their general design principles of keeping things streamlined.

Donā€™t worry about that. Cows in real life are fast. They would just run.

1 Like

yep, the devs just need to adjust the speed and it will be fine.

I would like them to add a milking mechanism, and not just slaughter them, just as sheep produce wool. They would be renewable.

2 Likes

Malians have that already. Itā€™s one of their unique mechanisms. They can put cows in ranches and they produce food forever.