Player Color in Game

Assuming the game will be maxed at 8 players like usual, who would want to see different color options to play as? I found grey and yellow always hard to see on the mini map.

The default player color options (to the best of my memory):
1- Blue
2 - Red
3 - Yellow
4 - Brown
5 - Orange
6 - Green
7 - Grey
8 - Teal/Light Blue

So maybe we could replace 3 & 7 with better options?

Grey was hard to see indeed sometimes, but I think yellow was fine.

A better color for grey would be nice (and yellow ofc if more people think it’s hard to see).

I think yellow is perfectly fine. If it’s too hard to see on desert terrain, the terrain color should be changed. Purple or Black could be good additions that should be easy to recognize on the mini map.

Would approve of Purple instead of Grey.

Black instead of grey!!

Black instead of grey, no doubt. Purple might work but run the risk of looking too similar to blue. And blue can’t be made less purple-ish because then it would clash with light blue. We also need to somehow solve that red/orange situation as seen in the picture above

Perhaps they’ve made the mini-map better defined and it will not be necessary.

But I would like to see better contrast between
red/orange
green/teal
grey/map
yellow/dessert terrain
blue/ocean

Was brown ever a problem?

Example of green/teal

I’m actually really hoping they will increase the number of possible players to maybe 12.

Purple could definitely serve to be in there. Purple dye is an iconic ancient thingie. For royalty. 'n stuff.

Or if we want to appeal to memers, add intense Magenta.

I like Teal though. I wouldn’t want Teal replaced. And I like Brown, but I feel like the “red orange yellow brown” spectrum is drastically over-represented. Switching one of those colors to something a lot bluer (like purple) would be nice.

But it’s not a big deal, and it’ll suit fanservice to keep the colors as is (although please tweak the existing colors a bit to improve contrast between them, and improve map visibility).

@qweytr24 said:
I think yellow is perfectly fine. If it’s too hard to see on desert terrain, the terrain color should be changed. Purple or Black could be good additions that should be easy to recognize on the mini map.

No black. that could get confusing with unexplored parts of the map

I would go deep purple for grey and for yellow maybe a bright magenta/pink

Hi Mr EndGame, I’m more concerned about AGE color modding. In HD, modders can customized color with the 256 palette in AGE color tab, and create color 8 color 9 even color 16 such as real black or white.
However, DE colors seems to work different from HD. I tried 160 144 ,777 888 even 1024 in palette, but all I got besides 8 usual color is a strange orange red or a strange blue.
6b8d7165b8bf4f56

May I ask will DE support customized color in dat modding?

Or at least include the color black and white to the dat palette option?

PS: I had an idea about a new civ with only black or white units (choosing black and white leads to different civilization buff ), but was blocked by customized color modding

1 Like