Players less communicative vs AOE2

Has anyone else noticed there’s a lot less interaction from other players? in AOE2 everyone always says GL HF and GG etc but on here you seem to get no response the majority of the time? Maybe because in 1v1 the chat defaults to team chat and they don’t know to press tab to change to all or it’s a different kind of player?

1 Like

Honestly, I don’t know if I consider “GL HF” to be communication. More sportsmanship, if anything. I didn’t play a lot of online matches yet but I did run into more than one who took the effort to to write a complete sentence or two which I appreciated. I don’t mind if people rather be silent though, different strokes for different folks.

I have a feeling that if AoE4 reaches the point where it’s more than just a game but a phenomena like AoE2 then most of the people you meet will be more communicative.

9 Likes

I’d rather there be no chat at all or an option to completely turn it off, but that’s just me and my introvert mindset.

2 Likes

I assume this is because of the setting “Allow Messages from Nobody” is set. If your opponent types something during the game, or messages you after it you will not see it.

Only if the they type in the game room while the game is still in the process of starting can you see it with this setting.

Personally I prefer it this way because I hated the “gl hf” norm in SC2. If I want to discuss something I do it in the forums, during the game I need to focus not typing with my opponent.

Players saying gl hf and gg are a relic of the past, unfortunately, as new games are released these days such chivalry is seen less and less. In pedigree communities of older RTS titles you can still see this being the norm, unfortunately it didnt carry over to AoE4 it seems.

1 Like

The chat is really laggy too

5 Likes

I’ve played enough games to have a “hidden” ELO score, meaning I think I’m usually playing with equally competitive players. That said, I’m also surprised at the lack of communication. Some folks just don’t say anything at all when I say hi or try to plan a strat. It’s bizarre compared to other Age of games.

Yeah I’m used to AOE2 DE Where it’s almost every game both player seem to. I agree it’s maybe an age/genre thing. One of the best things about the AOE series is people are assholes in chat less vs COD/DOTA/League etc.

Absolutely, this is also one of the reasons I only play RTS games when it comes to pvp, it’s pretty much the only oasis left not overtaken by toxicity. For the other genres I just stick to single player or coop with friends. I mean it’s enough to play a pvp game of CS GO to see what I mean.

Even the chat lags like crazy in this game, they messed up this game on every level

1 Like

I mean. I’m focused on the game. I don’t want to bother typing in glhf.
I mainly only type gg.

But that’s also cause I’m the type of player that views talking as inherently lowkey toxic.
The people who say glhf also for whatever reason end up being some of the most toxic people I’ve met.

Like they take it personally that you didn’t respond back and so they turn extremely vitriol. Who knows.

I don’t really see it as an issue.

Unless you mean in team games when you want to coordinate and they don’t respond, then that’s a little different.
Relic should also fix the chat delay. it’s really annoying ngl.

1 Like

gl hf is usually typed in pre-game chat :slight_smile:

Yea, I’m looking at the map, the civ(s) if team, and already coming up with a plan.
The map kind of makes a HUGE impact on your play style.
Then I see enemy Civ(s) and I adjust.
if it’s island I just rage. cause island maps are the dumbest ■■■■.

But I also don’t really care to type in glhf. Maybe people mean it when they say it, but I just see it as a meaningless gesture for the sake of the gesture when most people don’t really mean it. But I could also be jaded by toxic af people who type glhf. And so I view the gesture has pointless.

I’ve had wayyyy too many games in the past where they type glhf, then when you start winning, they turn extremely toxic. Like. what happened to glhf? lol. Now it’s you’re garbage and trash and suck at this game.

2 Likes

Remember that aoe4 targeted casual people that don’t access reddit or forum to know etiquettes. They’ll know one day by gamers habit how and why we use ‘gg wp’

For me the chat doesn’t lag in game but it does in the lobby before and after.

Played a few TGs today and my team wouldnt communicate either.

Yeah glhf is a show of respect… i dont show much respect to those whos stiff upper lip prevents them from typing 4letters, before or after a game. Id rather not play those players ever again. Though i dont have the ability as some to carry on conversations, I believe some chatter in big games is beneficial for cooperating in tactical situations, especially aoe4 where tactics play a bigger role. So again im not capable of responding often, the games horrible at quickly posting chat or other notifications in chat or the minimap!.. but if u dont show respect u wont get any!

I’m probably waaay too jaded because I read something as “gg wp” as sarcastic and passive-aggressive instead of sincere.

Well, I’ve played stuff like League of Legends and Counter Strike for the previous decades now. No wonder I’m always expecting the worse from everyone in online games.

I’m probably waaay too jaded because I read something as “gg wp” as sarcastic and passive-aggressive instead of sincere.

Well, I’ve played stuff like League of Legends and Counter Strike for the previous decades now. No wonder I’m always expecting the worse from everyone in online games.

In league, at least, its when people say “GGEZ” or “GGGGGGGGGGGGG” – overdoing it.