Please don't change Persians to the Central Asian Architecture

There is this guy on Reddit who keeps posting about changing Persians to Central Asian Architecture because it is more historically accurate. I disagree.

When I see my opponent has Central Asian architecture, I know they have Steppe Lancers, they don’t have gunpowder, and they lack Redemption. Lots of players like me use the architecture to guess what units we are potentially facing. (Ok. Tatars do get Elite Cannon Galleons but the important thing is they don’t get hand cannons and bombard cannons). Persians do get hand cannons, bombard cannons, and elite cannon galleons. They also don’t get steppe lancers.

When you see a new civ with the South American architecture, you know they can build Champi Warriors but don’t have Champions. If you see a new civ with the Norse architecture, you know they can build Varangian Guards. If you see a civ with Middle Eastern or African architecture, you know they can build camels.

Nobody, not even Hera or Viper, has memorized the tech trees of every civ. We use the architecture to guess what units our opponent might potentially be able to make. The Central Asian architecture came in with DE in 2019 and I associate it with Steppe Lancers. Even if other civs get Steppe Lancers like Mongols, Khitans, Jurchens, I know for sure that if I see Central Asian architecture then I might be facing steppe lancers.

As the devs add more and more civs, it is absolutely necessary to give players a visual short hand for understanding the tech tree. If there were 13 civs nobody would care about architecture that much because everybody would just memorize the regional units. But there aren’t 13 civs anymore.

4 Likes

@SMUM15236 Don’t take this lying down!

4 Likes

1: Jurchens, Mongols and Khitans have Steppe Lancers.

2: Just read the civ name.

3: Saxons have Varangian Guards and W. European architecture. What do you do then?

7 Likes

Yes but if you see a civ with central asian architecture, you know they have steppe lancers.

If you see a civ with Norse architecture, you know they have Varangian Guards. The same goes with Meso-American architecture and Eagle Warriors or Southeast Asian and Battle Elephants.

11

God willing, memes are not stopping.

11

10 Likes

One sneak peek to tech tree and problem solved.

8 Likes

Saxons byzantines dont have viking buildings.

Indian civis dont have SEA buildings.

Pretty sure indians and mongols can do this.

While this is true what happens if future civis using CA buildings divert from this?Will you be asking for those civis to be moved to something else?

3 Likes

Just give the Persian architecture to the Persians already

5 Likes

Sorry the Persians have been in the game since 1999, you got enough time to learn what kinda units their train.

90% of people want the architecture set to be changed.

6 Likes

Same here.

If Persian needs an new architecture, it would be a dedicated one for their region, with other civs from Iran & Iraq areas.

A “Western-Asian” set why not, but definitly not the Central Asian one.

1 Like

The Central Asian set is literally based on Sassanid Persian architecture in Feudal and on later Iranian and Persianate architecture in Castle and Imperial. It IS dedicated to them.

9 Likes

The one that needs a new architecture set is Cumans.

9 Likes

I understand, it’s counter intuitive psychology.

Everybody with the mongol monastery should be moved to a nomadic set.

2 Likes

Interesting; lots of converse errors in the replies here.

That said, I don’t find the argument convincing, because architecture set really doesn’t work like this with any generality. When I see my opponent has Western European Architecture, I know I’m going to be facing infantry or archers or cavalry or siege weapons or some combination of those; when I see my opponent has Central European Architecture, I know I’m going to be facing infantry or cavalry or cavalry archers, and that they have really strong defences or some of the weakest defences in the game; when I see my opponent has East Asian Architecture, I know I’m going to be facing foot archers or cavalry archers or elephants or infantry or heavy cavalry or steppe lancers or gunpowder units, and that they have really good trebuchets or generic trebuchets or no trebuchets at all; etc.

5 Likes

Well then why don’t you find the same style when searching for Sassanid Persian architecture images and Central Asian architecture ?

It’s definitly not “the set is based on sassanid” but rather “the people in central asia based their style on the sassanid one”.

I definitly see the diffrence between the Central Asian architecture style and Persian (which does not only include Iran area but also old Babylon area) style.
Yes they are pretty similar to each other, but the Central Asian set is not right for Persian. The key difference, I’d say, would be that Central Asian was more about Turquoise usage where Persia was more about Lapis Lazulis usage, one is teal the other is blue, and maybe the “stone” type from CEA is brighter than the sandish persia stone what so ever.

So in my opinion, it’s still the same, if Persian should someday get a new set, it should be a new one, not the Central Asian one.

1 Like

You can. There is literally a huge thread on this forum with comparison images.

6 Likes
2 Likes

Timurid style is part of the CEA inspiration, which was used in Iran. That I agree with.

Great Seljuk is one other part of the CEA inspiration, which was used in iraq, iran, and other parts of the world yes.

Abbasid style is the ORIE main inspiration, which also include usage in Iraq and Iran.

Umayyad style has that triangular things we tend to associate with Persia, which is also part foteh ORIE inspiration, also used in Iran and Iraq, but also in Central Asia lower part and north africa.

Fatimid style also got those triangular things we associate with Persia, which was mainly used in the levant. and is also aprt of inspiration for the ORIE style.

Sassanid style uses arch drop (roman style), which is the main key difference between the style on Central Asia which used some arch lancet (pointy like the gothic), which was used in iraq and iran, and is also part of the ORIE inspiration.

Conclusion:

  • ORIE set is a very generic set to cover north african, levant, and persia too, with a very wide timeframe coverage.
  • CEA set is a very specific set to cover a high-middle age timeframe.

As Persia civ is meant to cover a long timeperiod, it can’t be limited to that high-middle age CEA style only, because CEA style is only one PART of Persia history style.

2 Likes

Isn’t that basically what Middle Eastern architecture is?

1 Like