(please fix) dock ship hotkeys

I’ve noticed on docks I can’t use my cannon-galley hotkey or unique-ship hotkey without first pressing the red arrow or using the arrow-hotkey.
This only happens with docks.
With vills I can use my castle-hotkey even if I’m in the “build an economic building” section, because I don’t have any economic buildings bound to the key. I would like docks to work the same way.
Docks are the only thing giving me this trouble.
This may also be connected to people being unable to find their fire & demo ships (though I’m not certain all people with that problem use hotkeys).

Has this always worked this way? Can it get fixed please?

6 Likes

As long as you dont have any hotkey on the first page which is equal to the cannon galleon hotkey, the cannon galleon hotkey should work fine.

i for example have A for galley, R for fire galley, D for demo ship, G for cannon gall, V for unique ship, C for fishing ship and it all works fine

1 Like

Well it doesn’t
C (assigned to Cannon Galley) tries to take me to a stable. When I don’t have any stables it does nothing. (C is also assigned to cycle-through-stables and build-stable)
Y (assigned to unique things) is assigned only to longboat/caravel/freitoria/krepost. It does nothing when on the first page. I haven’t tried building a caravel with a krepost on the map, for obvious reasons.

Just reconfig this “go to stable” hotkey then. The problem must be that, because hotkeys for docks are working fine for me.
Don’t set any “go to” and “create unit” to the same hotkey, I think this is the problem.

4 Likes

I put some thought into my hotkeys, and there’s no way that’s happening. All my most-used hotkeys are tied to keys I can easily reach with my left hand in the standard typing position, which leaves me with only 17 keys or so. Hence there has to be a significant amour of overlap. ‘Stable’ is a lot more useful than ‘Cannon Galley’.

my current hotkey setup is here, if anyone wants to have a look / make any more suggestions:

I could banish ‘Cannon Galley’ to M or N, but I don’t think that M is easier to reach than VC.

This is a problem the developers could easily fix. Some hotkeys get presidence over other hotkeys. In the left builder screen, “build castle” has presidence over “go to castle”. As it should. This is both intuitive and useful.
In the same way, in either dock screen, “build/upgrade ship” should get presidence over all other hothey options, including “go to building”.

2 Likes

I have noticed this issue years ago,but few people care about it.
Because most player use combine hotkey to “GO TO” function(ctrl+)
And only player who concentrate a lot hotkeys to same side will find this bug.
In the end,bug still there for 23 years.

As i know,there are some rules decide the hotkey works or not.

1.“current page” is most prioritized(other command fail in building if share same hotkey)

2.current page is above next page(building type and dock)

3.last button is above first button(if share same hotkey)
ex: loom and town watch tech

4.covered button won’t work(mixed group as village, military and trebuchet unit )
ex:select villager and treb ,pack or unpack hotkey can’t be used.

5.“GO TO” forced works if current page button not share same hotkey with “GO TO”
ex:packing or unpacking treb can’t use pack or unpack hotkey,because only stop hotkey is in current page.
Imagine you use same hotkey with “pack” and “GO TO”,or select packing and unpacking treb at same time,disaster happens.

6.Once you have choose a building to build,it would be cover if you click another building hotkey.(only in DE)
ex:pick a gate,but not click ground yet,and your srcoll key is another type building and rotate gate ,then rotate function failed.

Glad to see someone report this.

2 Likes

Guys I dont think theres anything wrong with it or I would not call it a bug, I think “go to” hotkeys need to take priority, its just a little bit of common sense, what is the purpose of the hokey then? it has to take you to the building no matter what other building you have selected right?

My recommendation @TougherTrack508 @NeutralFever01 is to use a key modifier and/or no hotkey for the most rarely used things (how many cannon galleons are you creating daily?)

2 Likes

There’s one simple reason ‘GO TO’ hotkeys should not take priority: ‘GO TO’ hotkeys are always available. If the GO TO hokey takes priority, that replicates the same behaviour as if the GO TO function was the only function assigned to the hotkey. Therefor, by making the GO TO hotkey take priority, the developers give the player less options with their hotkeys.

The game is already mostly consistent with this principle, as explained by myself and @NeutralFever01, in that the current screen and the 2nd build screen always take priority over GO TO commands.

If you really want to GO TO but the hotkey is covered, you can always escape-GO TO or SELECT ALL-GO TO. In fact I can’t remember a single occasion where I wanted to GO TO my stable whilst looking at my dock. I always que units with SELECT ALL stables, and only use the GO TO stable command if I need to cancel something.

One of the issues with rewiring my hotkeys is memetic: control-C is already used for C-unit upgrades, alt-C is hard to reach and what’s worse is what I’d have to do to my GO TO TC hotkey (E). Either it would become hard to remember (E & alt-C) or it would become hard to reach (alt-E :face_vomiting:).

Again, there’s a simple reason ‘GO TO’ hotkeys should not take priority: ‘GO TO’ hotkeys are always available.

2 Likes

Voobly/userpatch CD version of the game actually fixed this by allowing an option called “More Hotkeys Priority” and with that turned on, the 2nd page of the dock takes preference over the go-to hotkeys.

1 Like

As long as you dont have any hotkey on the first page which is equal to the cannon galleon hotkey, the cannon galleon hotkey should work fine.

No, this is not the case. In order to create fire galleys in the dock with hotkey (which I have to S), I am first required to click the arrow/next page button (which has its own hotkey V). I checked just now and I don’t have any commands binded to S in the first page of the dock.

you probably have S bound to some other global hotkey (like select all Stables, or something else similar like the OP) but I didn’t want to write that since that should be pretty obvious.

1 Like

You’re right, I had S to archery range. Changing that fixed it.

1 Like

I’m sorry to bring this post back to life but i realized this yesterday. What’s weird for me is that if you’re in the page of the fireship it will create, if you are in the other page it will take the command with the other action binded to it.
The weird thing about docks is that they are the only building with 2 pages. I think second page should be reserved to technologies since you only research them one time, while ships you can create multiple. I think this will make the dock easier to control.

1 Like

Yes still doesnt work, if you use keyboard it works but if you use mouse scroll it does not.