Please introduce a South Asian ship sail

It’s so boring that the South Asian civs use either the Middle Eastern or Southeast Asian sails. It would be cool if South Asian sails were unique, featuring a lateen sail with the wheel of dharma symbol on it. Something like this:

south asian sails mockup

Made by yours truly. The official sails would obviously be not an obvious edit. This was just so you could get the idea.

15 Likes

Or use the same peacock faither sails design for consistency of Dravidians:
Ofcourse reposition it a little bit so it doesn’t look too identical to the unique ship.

On a side note, a more accurate name for Thirisadai (which is a fictional name) would be Periyakappal which simply means big ship in Tamil as recommended by my historian friend

4 Likes

Perhaps so, but then the Thirisadai would be less special. The peacock feather design helps it stand out in a massive battle. If all the other ships had the same icon, it’d blend in too much. I know it’s absolutely massive, but in a big battle, a lot of players won’t be able to tell ships apart if they’re all bunched together.

Oh, I just read this after writing my response. Still, I think the Thirisadai’s unique sail design makes it more special.

What about Outrigger Ship? A lot more generic, but just as descriptive, and much easier to remember.

1 Like

Outrigger is fine, indians did use them.
Take for example
Yatra Dhoni of Sri Lanka

Hornell’s sketch of a yathra dhoni

Or the Catamaran which comes in AoE3.

based on Kattumaran:

2 Likes

Any ship with an outrigger canoe can be considered an outrigger ship so its not very unique.

Yeah, I read somewhere that Austronesian and Indian boat-building techniques were similar in many respects. They probably had a common ancestor belonging to a maritime culture (that’s my theory, anyway).

I would prefer to save the name Catamaran for any potential Polynesian civ that could get added in the future.

Yeah, you’re right. We can go with Juggernaut’s friend’s suggestion. That sounds cool anyway.

1 Like

They did have a common ancestor maritime influencer since 3rd century BC or before.

1 Like

While we are on the subject of indian sails Indian factions dont have proper king graphics either.

3 Likes

Oh, good point! Unfortunately, kings are too complicated for me to make a mockup of, so you’ll have to use your imagination.

I hate looking at the glutton of a king we have for the Europeans. Can we get a nice looking king?

I see nothing wrong here…

2 Likes

Well that king is classic aok design I hate to see him go.

He can still be there but would love an alternative.

1 Like

Just use a mod and reskin him to any cavalry (to match the speed) hero skin (to match the fitness expectations).

It won’t generate revenue. They won’t ever make unique ship sails for South Asians.

2 Likes

Someone had to be the mood killer…

Only a small % of playerbase cares about South Asian ship sails. I have been asking for such changes for 4 years and none of them happened yet apart from regional trade carts.

3 Likes

Sadly with the dev attitude we are seeing nowadays his harsh words sound actually true.

3 Likes