Please make an auto queue option for vills

[quote=“Adribird90, post:20, topic:202009”]
No, I had to build 3 houses because I decided not to defend the 3 houses that were besieging me for whatever reason. That added to the fact that it is very easy to know your population line to be able to build a house in the place that the player wants.
[/quote] Uh, still you knew houses were gonna be destroyed so you had to build new ones. You’re pretending as if a completely different decision, defend or not is the same as build house when you need it.

Nope. That was too much. But removing producing unit mechanic is just dumb.

Starcraft is way more micro intensive. And you need to micro within minutes vs things such as reapers. All the while expanding your eco. I really dont get what you hope to achieve with this. You seem to try to reduce the difference between good and bad players. But this is such a ridicilously simple mechanic, if you cant make it you’re too horrible anyway to survive. And when you’re playing vs equally bad players they have the same issues.

1 Like

I agree that the effort should be valued, but I would like the automatic queue of villagers in imperial times but that their access has a cost of 2 thousand or more resources

If my decision was to defend the houses with my army, I would not have to build more at that time and I repeat, construction is not the same as production. You can build where you think appropriate, the position of the buildings has a strategic approach (eg. Abbasid Golden Age).

At no time have I said that the mechanics have to be eliminated. Autoqueue should be optional.

Of course SC2 is more micro-intensive, just like other games from other genres like MOBAs are micro-intensive and that is fun.

The SC2 macro is simple. Expand, 2 resources (indicating the correct workers per resource), improvements and worker production.

A new generation player who tries SC2 as a first RTS invites him to stay more than in AoE (even if he suffers later due to the hard competitive mode, but that’s another topic, the important thing is to hook him first).

Auto-queue only reduces the skill gap with mid/low level players and that’s not a problem for pros.

If you want RTS to be small niches all the time because they are very hostile to new players, that seems like an opinion like any other to me, but I’m not looking for that.

Lol and again you confuse another decision with house building being strategic. House building is simply a 1=1 decision based on whether you chose to defend it or not.

Just stop. Why not make all auto? No go play some turn based game instead.

Stop assume everyone is mentally challenged. It’s easy to see what resource you need. And you get to play vs people your level. Starcraft is way more punishing and hostile. YOu look the wrong place for a sec and you lose the game. It don’t sound like you’ve even played it.

If you had instead 100 villagers, losing the elephants wouldn’t be as bad since you can gather the resources to replenish them far more quickly :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sure but I’m getting rushed every game. I need a couple elephants to hold the line while I ramp up production, typically just forgoing wood and fully focusing on food and gold since a mass of elephants that’s microed well enough can kite spearmen and deal with archers. And if I find that crossbows aren’t that great against tower elephants since they’re not heavy like normal elephants.

if you talking about new players and reducing the leanring curve. come on if a new player is overwhelmed with building a new house, is this his smallest problem in the game…
how long do you need to figure this out?

2 Likes

Guys, honestly.
If someone wants to play this game, he accepts its designdecisions. I played AoE2, when i was a kid for having fun. I played SC2 until a month after its first release competitively, got plat and quit. Thats all of my former RTS XP.
I started playing AoE4 because my best friend told me about it, and that it was fun. Since the release of BF2042 was such a shtshow (i mainly played FPS before), i gave AoE4 a shot and fell in love with it.
All i knew about the gamemechanics was to constantly produce villagers and that was it.
It took me about 3 hours to get semi used to it and after a month of playing i didnt even need to think about it anymore.
The only thing that matters, in all games and in the most circumstances in life is only your intrinsic motivation. If you want to get better, then put effort into it and you’ll (slowly but surely) get better. If you dont want to get better, just open a thread on a random forum and complain about random sht.

economy wins games in AoE4 and therefore the villproduction goes hand in hand with your economy. The more villager you have, the better is your eco, the more units and upgrades you can build. Its a deathloop and as such its a core gameplay mechanic!

2 Likes

Those who say that because there is an automatic queue for economic production (in situations where you are forced to do so) you are going to turn the game into turns or that there will be no competition, is a great widespread and refuted falsehood.

RTS are very unfriendly to new players, the vast majority aren’t going to waste months of gameplay trying to learn the mechanics well.

And please, separate the competitive mode from the learning curve. The competitive mode of LoL (MOBA) or SC2 is very hard after a certain point, but they are more popular than AoE and relatively easy to learn (SC2 is somewhat less so because it is RTS, but it has been understood).

You’ve said yourself that manually replanting farms in AoE2 is overkill, I can find you players that advocating that system to add “more skill”, exactly what you’re doing now.

Those who are good players will continue to be good. This measure is for those who start or have a low level of play.

RTS isn’t inherently about the specifics of what actions should be automated vs controlled by the user.

An example I’ve given before is wood chopping. Imagine that you have to control each individual villager in much more detail. You have to click on them and tell them to perform each individual chop to collect 1 wood. Then when they have 10 wood, you have to manually make them drop it off, then when they have dropped it off you can tell them to make their next chop, and so on. In a game that worked like this, it would take tremendous APM to fully utilise numerous villagers on wood. All of the generic arguments against auto-queue such as “if you can’t cope, RTS isn’t for you” etc, could equally be used to support such a micro-intensive game mechanic for wood collecting. But literally nobody thinks wood collecting should be so micro-intensive, everyone is happy for villagers to automatically chop until they reach their carrying capacity, then drop off at the nearest resource collection point, then return to chopping, moving on to another tree when the one they were chopping is depleted.

There always needs to be a way for good players to be differentiated from worse players, the question is what should be that differentiator. The fact that a game is RTS doesn’t dictate what specifically should be the differentiator. If someone wants the differentiator to be higher level strategic thinking, that doesn’t imply they would prefer a turn-based game to an RTS, they are just looking for an RTS that doesn’t emphasise actions where the user is responsible for doing things where there is no real decision making, just micro-intensive actions to do what the user obviously wants to do.

2 Likes

Thx to those who came up with arguments and impressions. But for the most it seems more like a emotional topic xD.

What i read till know:

Con:

• Economy is a big part if AoE4 so this might be right and you should be foced absolutly focused on.
  • RTS has to be apm intense for such trival actions because it is the genre’s essence (not my opinion for the trival part so…)

Pro:

• Players can focus more on higher level decisions like where the villagers go to, macro, control active units,…
  • Change gives no impact on high skilled players
  • Maybe better start for new players

Of course there have been called same semi arguments as con. But - convince me other - those are not real arguments. We are talking just about Auto-Queue not automating anything else. On every dicussion you can say if we change this you may also change this and that as second step… But we are not talking about any of those far away scenarios, we are talking about villager auto-queue.

Of course you should and will always have an advantage with high apm on RTS, but what to use this apm for? Why can i set waypoints then? And why are farms not longer depleting like in aoe2? APM advantage should come from better unit movement/control, faster building and more real decision making in shorter amount of time, not from trival clicks.

With auto-queue I still need to keep track where the waypoints are leading my villages or units. I need to build houses and all stuff. So i keep on making the decisions I should be doing. Makeing the decision to press the same button all over again every 20 seconds is something the game wont be missing.

1 Like

Now I understand why there are so many aimbots in FPS and other cheats available… because people are lazy and wont improve and thats why everyone goes the easy way.

So if you automat the production, building economy houses and so on, the next step will be, everyone crys OMG age 1 is so boring, we have no army, let us start at age 2, no better at castle age.

and yes if you wanna play like this, play custom games …

3 Likes

Producing units is a good differentiator. We might not require you to micromanage to such a detail what every single unit is doing, but you do need to produce the unit.

There used to be a gamemode for those impatient kids in aoe3. Deathmatch, where you start aged and with resources. It was a very little played gamemode that basically died

As you mentioned “housing”, it is so liberating to play with mongols, where you are not constantly pop capped :smiley: But it doesn’t feel any less micro intense… You have other things to do. In fact, it’s quite hard to play mongols well. If you do, they might be OP, or so, but only if you play them well (it’s a different topic).
So I am not that attached to the auto-queue emotionally… If we have to do it, fine… If not, there are plenty of other things to focus your attention in the game - or could be.

1 Like

I’d be fine with a single civ that had as civ bonus that it produced vils automatically. We have that in aoe3 with the ottomans. They get their vils for free, but you need upgrades to up the max vils, and to increase the speed. This is a fun mechanic as a civ bonus and it would add to the game, not detract from it as removing all villager queuing would. But I’d still recommend noobs to learn to queue villagers instead, because it’s great beginner practice and is a simple way to learn to keep the production going. The other things would be HARDER if you didnt get to practice vil production as a stepping stone.

2 Likes

The players could focus more on the military parte of the game.
They would still have to send those villagers to work, the only diference is that the players wouldn have to hit “H” + “Q” at avery minute of the game.

But i understand some player like things the way they are, so it could be an optional feature.

1 Like

Its one of the first actions in the game i do: binding it to a controllgroup.

1 Like

Make it a mod for unserious games. You cant have one player get perfect queuing while the other don’t. Even pro’s don’t queue perfectly. They queue next vil before the last one is finished. Sometimes they have several vils in queue. Timing this as well as possible is a big part of macro oriented RTS like aoe

There is much more to it, then just an “annoying gamemechanic”.

Think of that. You are new to the game, or a relatively slow gamer, who wants to play Anno. (~800QM Elo).
You facing a French opponent, that wants to constantly micro his knights. In the trouble of the fight he forgets about the villproduction, but you dont.
You repell him and start a counterattack, which gives you the chance and the window to finish him of. This wouldnt be possible, if you remove the core gameplaymechanic, that needs you to press 1 cntrlgrp button +q every 20 seconds.

2 Likes