Please nerf Eagle warriors

Yeah again massing knights not easier than eagles, and they don’t have a resistance vs monks, and your eco will be harder to deal comparing to unit vost 20f

1 Like

really? i’ve never seen someone go up to castle age and make 4 barracks eagle play a thing.
so the odds of having a 2 to 1 advantage over knights is slim.

it’s almost like they are two different units with two different purposes.

not that hard, we see 2 stable knights all the time in castle age.

It doesn’t have to be. You can CLEARLY see it in the video that with half the numbers Knights dominate

And even if they do they still lose

Both of you @MatCauthon3 and @Mikrob99 keep talking like I am talking about performance or comparing the Eagle with anything else, I am talking about how 20f is not a balanced cost at all to unit like Eagle that have a versatile uses.

1 Like

What uses? Archers and raiding? Those are the only uses the eagle has along with sniping siege and monks. Which light cav can also do to a similar extent while costing no gold

here is what you ignore.
cost impacts performance.

if we had a unit that did 45 damage an attack, with 15 range, and 100% accuracy, and fired every 1.5 seconds, would you say that was a strong unit?

now what if i slapped a 500 food and 200 gold price tag on that unit?

1 Like

this is like saying that 1 Treb is worth more than 1 Mangonel. Nonsensical statement with no end-goal or honest comparison.

Mayan player should take the fight EARLY castle, ideally start massing Eagles already while going up. As soon as you hit Castle age (assuming both players hit it at roughly same time), you have like 5-7 Eagles vs 2-3 Knights and you take it from there. If you allow the game to come down to 20 Knights vs 40 Eagles, you are using Eagles wrong.

1 Like

And yet that is the same 2 to 1 ratio which knights still dominate. And if you allow your opponent to kill your eco with eagles while having a stronger and faster unit than you are using Knights wrong

it takes 60 seconds to train eagles in feudal age.

as soon as you hit castle age you’re still stuck with eagle scouts, and it takes a full 50 seconds to research eagle warrior. basically enough time for your opponent to have at least 4 knights by the time it’s completed its research. and 1 of your barracks isn’t producing units during that time.

1 Like

Meso civs lack power units in late imperial, on top of lacking spammable non gold cavalry, it’s pretty normal for me that they have a power spike in castle/early imperial age.
I’d suggest something else instead: change the cost of supplies to 150F 100G to 150W 100G or tweak the effect to a greater magnitude (like -20F).
This way you can do some footmen to wipe those eagles out if need arises. Long swordsmen in castle age have +6 bonus damage vs eagles.

1 Like

yes I get it you can read the AoE2 wiki, 60s given the Castle uptime is enough to already masss like 3-5 eagles.

you might wanna read the wiki closer, difference between Eagle Warrior and Scout is rly not huge. Also in Castle you drop like 3 Barracks, 1 researches Eagle upgrade, the others start massing.

1 Like

yep. with you so far.

5 health, 1 bonus damage. to put it into perspective. assuming you have the armor upgrades an eagle scout is going to do 5 damage to a knight. meaning its going to take 20-24 hits to kill the knight.
meanwhile the knight is going to do 8 damage to an eagle. that means that 5 extra health is 1 more hit they survive from a knight.so to laugh it off is hilarious.

2 Likes

I don’t laugh it off, it’s a good upgrade but not a strong priority. You can start massing Eagles and when you have like 8 you do the upgrade. Cost is on the low side anyway, iirc it’s like 200f 100g or something, yes that’s a lot of resources but it’s not different from Crossbow/Pikeman upgrades.

1 Like

It is if you wanna fight knights or crossbows

The mesos have decent archers already and 2 of them (Mayans & Incas) have FU archers, so making the infantry line to counter the eagles,pikes and archers mix very hard to deal with. Yesterday Daut (Aztecs) smashed Hera (Berbers) and Hera literally didn’t find an answer to eagles/pikes/monks mix and he tired everything and he lost. The thing is that we need to increase the food cost of eagles to balance armies fights and punish the meso civs eco, already the 3 of them have decent bonuses and by giving them cheap military (like eagles) will not make them balanced at all.

THE EAGLE FOOD COST NEED A NERF, FROM 20F TO 30F OR EVEN 35F AT LEAST.

1 Like

its a 20% increase in survivability and a 20% increase in damage. and that’s just against knights.

The problem with the eagle cheap cost with mixing armies fight it will make the fight not balanced at all, a big example what Daut (Aztecs) did to Hera (Berbers) that who literally didn’t find an answer to eagle/pike/monks mix, he tried to go longswords and ez Daut brought some xbows to clear. The cheap cost of Eagles make them an ez option in armies and the eco will still so smooth to shift between units ez. Its 20f cost need to be 30 or 35 at least to make it harder for the eco and the mix fight between units and armies. What make mesos top civs is their cheap Eagles more than anything else especially with their smoothy eco and decent bonuses.

2 Likes

If the eagle player can mix pikes than the knight player can mix in skirms or scorpions and 1 baracks eagles and 1 baracks pikes will be useless against everything

Then ask Hera about this after he lost the game with berbers cheap knights.

2 Likes