Please no tower rush

So the treaty option will remain, then.

Adam Isgreen confirmed that there are many options for custom games.

If only wooden towers can be built in age 1, and if they are relatively easy to take down there should be no issue.

Maybe we should try not to start getting hysterical until we have actually seen proper gameplay footage?

3 Likes

wow this got a big response. Just to reiterate, im not balance complaining, balance is not the point. A balanced tumor is still a tumor. I don’t think static-d rushes were ever intended in rts. Its just lame, let it be gone!

Tower rushes, dark age rushes, feudal rushes all were intended.

Tower rushes existed in aoe 1 and thwn existed in aoe 2. They added more counterplay to it in aoe 2 with the requirement of murder holes, but it definitely was not some kind of accidental game breaking Abomination that they failed to prevent.

It’s not even that hard to defend against
And with infantry being seemingly able to construct rams in feudal I daresqy solitary towers will not be too hard to deal with

3 Likes

We are complaining about a building that we don’t kwon neither the hp, range, armor, RoF, cost, building time etc etc etc.
So… relax and save energy to complain when the game, at least, have been released.

BUT YES. I agree with the OP. Tower rush, it’s not a funny tactic.

2 Likes

ahem

git

gud

20 character limit

1 Like

Might not be a ‘funny’ tactic. But it sure is a valid one.

Dont do it myself, but it’s just as valid a tactic any other.

Although I also think there is nothing wrong with laming/stealing boars/sheep.

All Tactics are valid in my books, and you have to try and counterplay it or be defeated

no

Post must be at least 20 characters

your ideas are really good. they could save the entire rank mode.

i stopped playing rank for now. i played 10 games the last three days, everytime my enemy had mongols, everytime it was a tower rush. f*** i love aoe4 but the mongol-towerrush players destroying all the fun. it’s boring as f*** and i miss the matches against french, english,rus and hre and delhi. it is not the game which isn’t fun, it’s the players with the same boring tactics over and over.

i ve been waiting for new patches to play ranked again or leave it forever, the actual mongol-only-ranked is dead for me. there is more fun in customgames and mods.

I absolutely disagree with tower rushing NOT being a thing. Tower rushing mandates paying attention and scouting. Everyone is TOO use to a BUILD ORDER and “get to feudal at 4min 30s timing, so then I can blah blah blah fast castle and more blah blah blah”.

You can ABSOLUTELY stop a tower rush YOU SEE COMING. Tower rush IMO forces you to play RTS instead of playing META (build order, timings, blah blah blah).

If they nerf it, sure; but I hope they NEVER get rid of it. HECK I TAKE THAT BACK! There should be MORE options in Dark age to be aggressive and force the game to start right away! I hope they move starting gold/stone even FURTHER away from TC, then a barracks/defensive tower will become somewhat standard.

A matter of opinion of what is boring… b/c FRENCH? ENGLISH?? Those 2 more than any others DO THE EXACT SAME “DUMB” BUILD ORDER EVERY GAME…

maybe - but the whole match is more exciting. i had matches where i almost lost, and the table turned. and i ve got matches where i was about to win and somehow it changed. but against tower rush mongols it´s allways the same. ok if i use mongols, we both tower rush us. “wow - so awesome” - in this case i ve got more exciting matches against ai. and there is no reason to play against other.

it´s not about the problem to stop em - its about the problem that in 10 games, it happened 10 times! with no other civ i ve seen the same tactic more than twice!

and that is a sign, that the tower rush is to op.
the problem is also, that the a scout cant kill a villager faster, than it can build a tower. i am not builder bob - but if somebody stapped me with a lance, i couldn´t finish a tower at all. and this part of the gameplay feels kind of wrong.

well , this aged like milk .

3 Likes

That’s exactly my opinion on this topic. Anyone who thinks tower rushes are stupid should watch Beastyqt’s guide. There’s just so many strategic decisions he has done and explained very well in that video that it is completely beyong me how people can say that this is dull, boring, requires no skill, whatsoever. Tower rushes force you to actually make strategic decisions (under pressure), be creative and extensively scout your opponent and the map.

I would also heavily support moving gold mines a lil bit further away from the starting TC or just slow down the TC’s fire rate so that games are more dynamic from the beginning on.

I tried and just wanna test the tower rush meta one time with Chinese and I just went for booming behind it, the range is just ridiculous when he cleaned all the towers I already got to the castle age with strong econ. I won and I don’t feel any fun tbh.

Also the tunnel vision is such a joke, its annoying to deal with castle that is built in stealth forrest. The trebs just run into the front door of the castle… wtf… who design this??? The whole mechanism is really worse than AOE2 25 year old game. Relic come on…

1 Like

I saw him tower rushed Viper in golden league, not “all in” tower rush but definitely utilize the power of tower with Mongol in early game and earn him the time to fast castle and get map control. This is just so apparent tower is OP.

I tell you why AOE2 is much more balanced, because tower costs stone. If you build a tower in fedual you don’t have the stone to build TC in castle age (TC only available in castle age), and limit your strategy options.

Anyway even tower rush in aoe2 is quite fun to watch and play. Aoe4 is just a mess, maybe you can deal with it but its just boring as hell.

2 Likes

Towers rush or castle vs castles is stupid, Rise of Nations is the best game when it comes to towers and castles… If they keep tower rushed it should be at higher cost.

2 Likes

Why is it stupid? I’ve made plenty of arguments. Your free to do so too.

Personally I think that mongols are still a bit too strong. Maybe nerv steppe redoubt a bit and they are fine. That would still make their tower rush a valid option but building up economy and army in the base would be slowed down a bit.