[POLL] Should the settlement system be kept or removed?

• The settlement system should be kept
  • The settlement system should be removed

0 voters

Hi everyone! Let’s discuss here about the settlement system whether it should be kept or not.

Personally I love it, because it adds more depth to the strategic aspect of the game. However, I would like a small rebalance so you’re not too disadvantaged pop wise for losing one. Moreover, sometimes the settlements are poorly distributed on random maps, so a player can be advantaged over another, making the game unfair. Fixing this would be greatly appreciated.

5 Likes

The current settlement system should be 100% kept, I don’t even know why there is a debate in the first place, to be honest.
The main reason is simple: gold is definitely the most important resource in this game.
Imagine a player building his settlement right near a goldmine, this will lead to an unfair advantage for defensive civs and in particular egyptians (or also for norse if a player builds his settlement right near his 2nd hunt spot).

Just make more aggressive maps with key resources like hunt, gold etc. spawning further and less protected.
Removing the current settlement system would be the most stupid thing that devs could do.

8 Likes

Keep it if not expand it. I mean, we could add something similar to the natives system in Age 3 to expand to mythical creatures and gods that would be hard to get to with the current system that limits each civilization to 12 gods (3 major gods, 3 per age).

1 Like

TC’s are too important to be locked behind random place on a map. Not to mention they are important part for enabling different strategies…

Make TC free and replace settlements with AOE3 style Native Trading posts. Which would help a lot with diversity and allow very obscure myths to be part of the game, without creating full civs…

5 Likes

Are you aware that aoe3 and aom are two different games, right?

Your suggestion implies that it will take a lot of time to rebalance everything (resources system should be completely reworked at that point).

2 Likes

I think that is exactly what makes them so important. And like someone else said, aom and aoe3 are two different games.

But I agree that some sort of natives system would be interesting. However, I would only include them on some maps, not all, because some players might not like the idea.

3 Likes

It should be kept, but we also need the possibility to increase population limit like in Age of Empires II Definitive Edition, even if it’s for unranked games only.

Also, some sort of new mode without the settlement mechanic would be interesting to explore, but definitely not a main feature I would put the focus on.

3 Likes

I think a fair question would be what reason would make you remove them, so we have something to look at and what would replace them if you do remove them

Edit…You can play now in Nomad mode to be able to start without one so what would trigger removal

1 Like

The problem is some people think it should be like AOE, where you can place your tc anywhere. The thing is, this isn’t the same game and I simply love how different it is.

7 Likes

I like the natives idea, I would add a favour trickle too to not be that limited, for example ####### or egiptians. Of course atlanteans would get a greater trickle.

1 Like

Why?? Resources would keep the same and you could build a TC in that spot too. Be limited popwise feels too unfair

1 Like

There should be a fair way to rebalance so you’re not too disadvantaged popwise, but settlements must stay

Nobody says to remove them, just TC should be a separated building, keeping setlements for other purpose and supremacy victory

Actually yes, someone said “TC’s are too important to be locked behind random place on a map.” In my opinion, that’s part of what sets aom appart from aoe. And even though I agreed that natives would be a nice addition, this should be only on certain map or at least be toggle on/off and they should be appart from TC settlements.

3 Likes

It’s one of the best features of AoM!

6 Likes

This isn’t a game change it’s a remake so no you are stupid and it won’t happen regardless what you vote.

Who are you calling stupid though? I think people have a right to express their opinion and devs wouldn’t have made a topic asking for what we’d like to see in Retold if they’re were not prone to make some changes to the game, just saying.

Removing a fundamental mechanic of the game is a stupid suggestion. One may as well ask for the removal of god powers, minor gods, markets, or heroes.

4 Likes

That’s why I started this poll. I’m glad to see the majority wants to keep it.

2 Likes

nothing wrong with this or any other poll, if anything they help reinforce what the community actually thinks on these topic, which happens to be pretty important

3 Likes