[poll] Who should win? Samurai vs. Jaguar Warrior

There are discussions ongoing about buffing Samurai and Jaguar Warrior.
So the question who should win in a direct fight (with balanced resources)

• Samurai
  • Jaguar Warrior
  • Perfectly Equal
0 voters

Again this is not a poll about the current situation but a poll about how it should be like.
It ignores the economic bonuses both civilisations have but it includes their civilisation bonuses and unique technologies.

Currently the stats of the units are very similar.
Almost the same base damage and bonus damage vs. each other.
Samurai attack faster and Jaguar Warriors have more attack thanks to Aztec UT.
Samurai have more HP but Jaguar Warriors have more amour.
Samurai cost 10 Food less atm. but they used to cost the same.

[Japanese ##########################anese-samurai/252221)

How would you improve Jaguar Warriors?

The jaguar priorities capturing the samurai alive but as bushido will make it unlikely the samurai lets himself be captured, morale-wise the samurai has the edge.

Cue the Deadliest Warrior “simulator” :upside_down_face:

1 Like

More seriously, if they both counter each other and have a similar cost, they should be more or less evenly matched.

The samurai is more awkward to use overall while countering infantry is more straightforward, so maybe the samurai should keep a minor edge.

Bushido is a 20th century invention. It was basically the result of the Japanese emperor trying to revive traditional Japanese warrior culture in an exaggerated fashion.

But I get what you’re saying.

The Aztec warriors are fast and fearless fighters, even in small groups they should easily defeat a Samurai.

A Samurai must have some advantage in head-to-head combat against a corresponding Jaguar Warriors.

But their stone & wood weapons and padded armour would be no match for what the samurai brings (katana even if we ignore it’s just a sidearm, and metal armour). My money’s on the samurai, he has a much easier time causing critical injuries to the jaguar warrior, than the opposite.

1 Like

My question is if in real life the samurai is not heavy compared to the Aztec, which of them reaches the other first and hits harder (or dodge faster).

The jaguar has the option to avoid the fight.

But if he chooses to, also considering the samurai has a greater reach (so he’ll strike first), the samurai turn the jaguar into sashimi.

1 Like

haha you know… I think you’re right lol

Since the samurai has fallen of his horse and lost his main weapon, he’s not in a position to win anything.

But maybe the two warriors would buddy up and get a drink, complaining to each other about how their weapons can break when hitting plate armour

1 Like

They should invite the Warrior Priest and the Berserk. They’re both famous drinkers, and know the best places in town.

I love how the Samurai and Jaguar Warrior responses on the poll are equal haha!

2 Likes

Not anymore (evil laugh) :upside_down_face:

Since UU is more niche situation, I’ll go with Samurai. That being said, if I have to vote one of them to be buffed, it would be JW.

UUs vs. Infantry what is more underused?

Jaguar must stay the best anti melee infantry units.

Japanese already have good archers, hallebardiers, knights and good navy.

I voted for Aztecs initially, because the Jaguar Warrior is pretty bad, but then I did some testing and Aztec Champions do beat Japanese champions, and also Samurai, and Aztecs are in general a better civilization, so I think it’s probably better actually if Samurai beat Jaguar Warriors.

If we consider all Infantries (Eagle and spearman line included), I’ll say UU is underused.

Spearman and Eagles have their own armour classes with dedicated counters so it doesn’t really matter that they also have the Infantry tag.
Plus there is a generic Infantry counter (that is not available to Aztecs though but for Japanese).

Which means Samurai have to be better as they have a competitor when facing against infantry.

Jaguars also have a competitor. And it is same type of building. So JW should be better than his competitor against Infantry. I’ll still go with Samurai as Hand canon is way easier to afford than any of those 3 - Samurai, Jw, or Champion, And Samurai is the one competing against Hand canon.