Polynesia would be a nice region to visit civ-wise

Not a single Age game has done this so far. I think this could have a lot of potential. Wars of Liberty already did this successfully:

4 Likes

Unfortunately i dont see it.

Age of Empires thrives in civilizations based on a relevant conflict. Even if we are talking about native civs, they all appear as a relevant contender of a conflict.

• The Aztecs and Inca defeated the spanish in some battles;
  • The Lakota defeated the USA at little big horn for example;
  • The Hauds participated heavily in the french/Brit/USA wars on the Iroquoi confederacy territory.

I dont see the Maorii as a possible full fledged civ because of that. They just dont have the relevance of other native civs in conflicts (which is for AoE franchise the relevant part of history)

The maorii were mostly peacefull towards the french and british, and had some little wars among themselves. Their modernization happened in the late 19th century and they signed a treaty with the brits to be a colony without a “war”.

I do see them as a minor civ to be included - with their special boats and a Maorii melee warrior or Musketeer.

New maps like polynesia or New Zealand should be created with those native civs included

6 Likes

The maorii were mostly peacefull towards the french and british, and had some little wars among themselves. Their modernization happened in the late 19th century and they signed a treaty with the brits to be a colony without a “war”.

Maori had many significant clashes with the British even after the treaty of Waitangi, including the various Flagstaff Wars, Taranaki Wars and Te Kooti’s War. Massacres from both sides occurred in early contact with the French. Wars between Maori iwi were long lasting and catastrophic conflicts with major geopolitical and cultural consequences in Aotearoa.

Personally, I think Pre-Colonial and Colonial-era Maori would be a perfect fit for the game, they adapted European technologies immensely quickly, built fortifications, had strong and unique martial and naval traditions and were notoriously tough opponents to the colonisers. Plus Maori culture is very prominent in NZ so it’s easy to find cultural and historical advisors for their potential depiction.

Unfortunately I doubt Maori will ever be added to the game. But I disagree that they don’t deserve representation as a full civilisation.

3 Likes
2 Likes