Population limit 200?

Do you people think that they should increase population limit from 200 to any other number or they should stop counting the settlers in the population limit as, in the final stages of game troops matter more than settlers and they consume 50 population limit already . So I think that they should either increase population limit or stop counting settlers in the population count.

2 Likes

Whilst in theory I am not against removing villagers from the population limit, I do wonder whether it would be open to exploit.

This would dramatically change the game play and I think it would be easily exploited. For balanced game play and dynamics look at Aoe III. The cour de bouis and the Germans wagons counted as more than one but gave a small advantage for the economy.

200 seems like a good number. Kinda depends on how many pop spots units use. This is a pretty small detail for us to be able to hone in on from our distant perch.

If you choose Indian civilization then at 200 population there will be 20 military units (house full) :smile:

if you want over 200 pops, wololo him o:)

Population should be adjustable with the max being 500 (like in AOE2 HD). For competitive play, 200 should be fine.

Anything higher might cause FPS issues and lag.

200 is the magic number. I dont understand why people want more than 200 pop space.

I think that population limit should be increased but that villagers should be part of that limit.

I usually play with pop max 250 or 300 on AoE2

To make things fair for everybody, I believe they should keep the 200 pop limit.

ok, 200 is the right price !!

I think population limit must be more than 200. And here’s my explanation:

In AoE III, there are units that consumes 1 population, 2 population or even 4 population. In AoE IV, if it’s settled in Modern/Contemporary times (and surely will be), we will have some heavy weapons and tanks here, and surely will need a huge amount of population. In Contemporary Era/WWI/WWII, wars were HUGE, with enormous armies, so a population limit of more than 200 is a MUST. Of course there are some alternatives, like adding some kind of tech in the last era that halves the population cost for villagers/citizens or something like that, but considering that AoE IV will need to have ENORMOUS maps (there will be heavy artillery, and long-ranged weaponry in general), a huge population limit (500 for example) will be necessary.

@the_choson_one said:
I think population limit must be more than 200. And here’s my explanation:

In AoE III, there are units that consumes 1 population, 2 population or even 4 population. In AoE IV, if it’s settled in Modern/Contemporary times (and surely will be), we will have some heavy weapons and tanks here, and surely will need a huge amount of population. In Contemporary Era/WWI/WWII, wars were HUGE, with enormous armies, so a population limit of more than 200 is a MUST. Of course there are some alternatives, like adding some kind of tech in the last era that halves the population cost for villagers/citizens or something like that, but considering that AoE IV will need to have ENORMOUS maps (there will be heavy artillery, and long-ranged weaponry in general), a huge population limit (500 for example) will be necessary.

The idea of having some type of tech that halves the population is interesting… Reminds me of some of the CIV benefits from CIV5.

If we think of AOE2 gameplay, 250 would be the best. 200 was slightly not enough. 4v4 games where you had 50 villagers and 50 trade carts post imperial led to a shortage in army numbers

I totally agree with @IamDalv.
While playing AoE3 I always felt that a bit more of 200 would have been the perfect population limit.
I’d love if they leave the player/host to choose as it was in AoE2:DE, but I still think that a pretty balanced value would be around 250 or 300 including settlers.
Of course this would need to increase more if they decide to increase the population required to train some new troops depending on the age it’s set (for example tanks, planes or artillery).

@Dr4kedecep said:
I totally agree with @IamDalv.
While playing AoE3 I always felt that a bit more of 200 would have been the perfect population limit.
I’d love if they leave the player/host to choose as it was in AoE2:DE, but I still think that a pretty balanced value would be around 250 or 300 including settlers.
Of course this would need to increase more if they decide to increase the population required to train some new troops depending on the age it’s set (for example tanks, planes or artillery).

I agree… if the game does go into more modern eras… than those types of units should be even more expensive… I recently posted this question on our forum as well = http://ageofempires4hq.com/forums/index.php?/topic/3-population-limit-will-they-increase-over-200/

I believe people can be able to choice max population when they creating game. so there can be different game styles
like can be

Maybe increase the pop limit a bit to account for settlers or let people choose (example 100, 200, 300 infinite etc…). another idea would be to have instead of each single unit counting as 1 pop have 1 squad of like 5 guys count as 1 pop. 200 pop always prevented me from building a massive army. just my opinion :smiley:

You can get bigger army by having less Villagers. Its called Strategy. This isnt Sim city or Farmville.