Population limit for AoE IV?

What should the pop limit be? With the current AoE design, personally, I find micromanaging much above 300 to be unpractical. Higher count would be cool but unit AI would need to be improved a lot. Also, I expect there would have to be a trade-off between max unit counts and graphics.

And what about implementing a similar system to AoE III where powerful units use more population? I don’t like it for cavalry but I think it’s good for siege / artillery units to help prevent spamming them.

Yes, micromanagement is important if the game is to retain its quality, this means no more than 200-250 units per player. Anything more in an RTS turns into a noobish spam fest.

As you said, depends upon design. If a game has a lot of units with special abilities and such the ideal number will probably be lower, on the other hand if the game is centered around formations like Cossacks the number can go higher. In those games 80 units are about as easy to manage as 1 unit, while in the current aoe games groups of larger than 20 units can get cluncky at times already. It also depends on how quick units are build and their cost. If I need to have 100 villagers collecting stuff just so I can keep a single stable running (extreme example) a higher pop limit is probably welcome.

That said, for all the Aoe games I’ve played I think 200 is a very reasonable number, and I find games designed to run at a pop limit of around 200 often strike a pretty good balance between gameplay element for me. So I’ll just vote for that. I don’t mind having the option of a 500 or 1000 setting on a game that runs best at 200, because people will be playing it at 200. (As a bonus, graphics designed so the game might still work at 1000 might give me a smooth ride at 200.)

Why didn’t you add the 50-100 and 100-200 pop limits?

@PCS70 said:
Why didn’t you add the 50-100 and 100-200 pop limits?

I’m talking max pop limits. Does anyone really want < 200??. The game already allows you to limit it to 50 or 100. I’ve never seen anyone play that in multiplayer

@“Pan Calvus” said:
As you said, depends upon design. If a game has a lot of units with special abilities and such the ideal number will probably be lower, on the other hand if the game is centered around formations like Cossacks the number can go higher. In those games 80 units are about as easy to manage as 1 unit, while in the current aoe games groups of larger than 20 units can get cluncky at times already. It also depends on how quick units are build and their cost. If I need to have 100 villagers collecting stuff just so I can keep a single stable running (extreme example) a higher pop limit is probably welcome.

That said, for all the Aoe games I’ve played I think 200 is a very reasonable number, and I find games designed to run at a pop limit of around 200 often strike a pretty good balance between gameplay element for me. So I’ll just vote for that. I don’t mind having the option of a 500 or 1000 setting on a game that runs best at 200, because people will be playing it at 200. (As a bonus, graphics designed so the game might still work at 1000 might give me a smooth ride at 200.)

I agree, having the option for 500 is good but balancing the game for 200 - 300 is probably better

@Teutonic_knight said:
What should the pop limit be? With the current AoE design, personally, I find micromanaging much above 300 to be unpractical. Higher count would be cool but unit AI would need to be improved a lot. Also, I expect there would have to be a trade-off between max unit counts and graphics.

And what about implementing a similar system to AoE III where powerful units use more population? I don’t like it for cavalry but I think it’s good for siege / artillery units to help prevent spamming them.

Good luck spamming artillery units that cost 300 gold 100 wood or something like that :). But yes stronger units may cost more population. Population effectiveness of units is usually the most important thing when maxed out.

I would only choose 500 as a pop limit if the maps are big enough to have meaningful engagements.

@BAJOLI said:

@Teutonic_knight said:

Good luck spamming artillery units that cost 300 gold 100 wood or something like that :). But yes stronger units may cost more population. Population effectiveness of units is usually the most important thing when maxed out.

I would only choose 500 as a pop limit if the maps are big enough to have meaningful engagements.

The computer spams 10 - 15 falconets sometimes, which is a bit ridiculous for 200 pop limit

Pessoal, falado em população, eu não consigo aumentar o limite no meu! O máximo é de 50 mesmo eu mudando nas opções antes de iniciar o jogo.
Alguém passou por isso ou tem alguma dica? Agradeceria muito!

Pessoal, falando em população, eu não consigo aumentar o limite no meu! O limite fica em 50 pessoas e mesmo mudando nas opções antes de iniciar o jogo ele continua esse limite máximo!
Alguém já passou por isso ou tem alguma dica? Agradeceria muito!

@JeanFavaretto said:
Pessoal, falado em população, eu não consigo aumentar o limite no meu! O máximo é de 50 mesmo eu mudando nas opções antes de iniciar o jogo.
Alguém passou por isso ou tem alguma dica? Agradeceria muito!

(Staff, spoken in population, I can not raise the limit in mine! The maximum is 50 even though I change the options before starting the game.
Has anyone experienced this or has any tips? Would greatly appreciate it!)

Jean, poste sua pergunta sobre AoEDE neste local: https://forums.ageofempires.com/categories/support-discussions

(Jean, post your question about AoEDE at this location: https://forums.ageofempires.com/categories/support-discussions)

Staff, speaking in population, I can not raise the limit on mine! The limit is 50 people and even changing the options before starting the game he continues this limit!
Has anyone had this or has any tips? Would greatly appreciate it!

Truthfully i thought 200 in AOE 2 was a lot, 300 is the absolute max and that would be best if larger units used more pop (like a treb required 4-6 pop for the people operating it).

AOE 1 had more micromanagement with the 50 pop limit but that for me was too small, never had fun fights. Options for 100 or 200 pop would probs work best with challenge modes limiting pop below 100 for difficulty.

I just don’t want to see 500 pops and games lag like crazy, it’s too much, endless stream of troops.

1 Like

There’s always going to be a unit that players will spam, if it isn’t trebs or catapults, that will be another unit :stuck_out_tongue: THe important is that there’s always going to be a counter-unit for everything, and that’s the beauty of the game.