Possible new way of playing with the Incas?

Well, you really know the subject, i still do not know many of the points you placed, you have convinced me, that will surely be a fort and the rest maybe specialized military buildings, regarding the units I have a doubt, the Incas had some type of unit or weapon to besiege forts? maybe we could have something like that, the Aztecs don’t have it, but they have long-range archers.

There is also napoleon, which is way more recent than the period usually rapresented.

Which represents the evolution of the romans, not the proper full empire.

And I also said that it was just my opinion, and that despite that I can’t wait to play them.

I also suggest something that could be related to their uniqueness:

I don’t need arguments, I’m expressing an opinion and a feeling, not debating that I know more about their history, I also admitted that I misspoke about calling the incas a meso civs, though my point was another one.

I was just trying to say that see some civs that weren’t already in any age would have been preferable to me, that it, I don’t feel attacked and I’m not trying to victimize.

I’m sorry, that wasn’t my intention at all, I just wanted to express my feelings about the choice.

Agree, what do you think of what I suggest up there?

1 Like

I apologize you, I have reread everything and I think we discussed something really unnecessary, it’s just that the goal of the post was to imagine the gameplay and when we came out the other side it bothered me, but I understand your point, as I told you, African civilizations would have been one great addition

As for your point regarding its playability, I think what you wrote may be from the inca metropoli, it is very likely that some cards have something related to that, I mean improvements in terms of economic exchange or a unique military building through shipments, Although I couldn’t tell you how specifically, now that I read more about it, the Incas will be more traditional in terms of gameplay, the Swedes are likely to be more unique in that regard.

1 Like

Thanks, I apologize too, probably I was too quick to get defensive, and didn’t take the proper time to explain myself.

However, misunderstandings happens every day, the important is that now we are clear.

I don’t know if it come from the metropoly areo of the Inca empire, the I took inspiration from this series of videos (I don’t remember which one):

I remember this fact, that lacking any animals other than lamas, and that since they had a far stretch empire comprised of different tipes of terrain, they need to quickly move armies without the need for them to drag all their equipment.

Maybe they could have a unique trade post kind of building, that is cheaper, or that could train soldiers even on trade routes.

Or maybe their vills could be transformed in soldiers (like norse vills can be transformed in ulfskarls in AoM) when they are near certain buildings.

Another thing was their versitile agriculture, they had little space for crops, but they were able to find use each tipe of terrain at different altitudes.

Maybe special farms, cheaper, with less vills on it could be an idea.

3 Likes

hey, thanks for the video, it’s very good, I even subscribed to the channel already.
Now that you mention it, it would be nice if we saw unique improvements in terms of agriculture and maybe with trading posts, kind of like they have special benefits on the trade route, but none of that shows up in the video, or at least they don’t show it yet

1 Like

I don’t know, I saw the video quickly (aoe3 trailer), didn’t had the time break it down accurately.

Still, I think that incas most of all should revolve around special buildings, similar to standard ones, but better/with something unique, like trading post and farms.

Also, I think that like all other America civs they’ll probably have war huts (barracks+outpost) and a fire pit.

1 Like

Well after researching a little more, I found out that after the first invasion from the spanish, the incas actually manage to steal some spanish armament, like: Armor, Horses and guns (but no information about them stealing cannons)
Therefore probably they’ll have heavy infantry with good siege (actually huamincas already had good siege)
But I found about a strange ranged weapon used by them called Estólica or “Cumana”, it’s similar to spear throwing and might be used by a similar unit like the aztec eagle knight
Here are some ranged weapons used by Incas or allies from them.

1 Like

Incas had a lot of variety for soldiers, they had bows, slings and javelins as ranged weapons, and clubs, maces axes and halbads for melee.

They also had a good armor for resisting arrows, soo good that even spanish adopted them, so the incas could have an “huskarls type” unit.

The couriers were also a big part of the empire, so they can have some sort of effect, maybe as a home city card, or maybe as starting scouts.

Lastly, some sorts of kamayuks units could be good, historically incas stopped spanish cavalry by literally revolting the terrain with long poles, but that seems difficult to implement, so maybe just some long spears to counter cavalry could do the trick.

5 Likes

That’s right, this unit could be like one Elite Unit and I would give it a halberd. I found out that veteran soldiers who were elite among the others had as a reward better weapons from better materials (iron, steel, etc…). Apart from that the halbert seems to be a prestige weapon for them, only some warriors were able to use them and they were pretty fancy too.

1 Like

Maybe the halbs could be the late game powerful unit (even more than the European counterpart) with kamayuks, while a Mace and shield fast unit can be the early aggressive unit, like an huskarl, supported by light archers, boles trowers, javelinmen and slingers.

1 Like

Tokugawa is the leader of Japanese in AOE3 yet he’s among AI names for Japanese in AOE2

1 Like

Haven’t fully read this thread but have yall seen the IGN interview of the AOE3 guys. A lot more footage than the reveal vid showed.

You see macemen, and archers for inca for example. Also they explain how one or more native civs might not even mine gold anymore. A completely different mechanic instead. Like how japs and Indians have unique gather mechanics

Also its been a while since i played AOE3 but isn’t their an inca minor tribe you get the faster unit speed tech from and so forth… They’ll likely be removed from the game? Aren’t there also “minor tribes” that formed part of the incan empire that might be removed as well due to the inclusion of a playable inca civ?

1 Like

Reading from your previous comments. African civs would have been much harder to add to the game. Its like adding a native north American civ to aoe2.

Its rationally much easier and economical to make a European civ. And then add something else similar to what already exists. And from what we’ve seen inca will be a hybrid native American /European civ.

Meaning easier to make, relying more on existing mechanics, concepts, and sharing of gfx resources between civs…

I would have loved an African civ as well. But there’s only so much the devs can do…

Either way much excite for this game! AOE3 was always my favorite due to its extreme diversity compared to AOE 1 and 2

Well there were plenty of them, here are some that I found: Huallas, sauasirais, antasayas, alcauizas, poques, lares, columchimas, Ayarmacas. These were minor tribes conquisted by Incas
Also I just watched the IGN interview it has good footage indeed

1 Like

That’s coherent with what we discuss until now.

???

Probably they’ll put some similar tribe instead, like they did for the previously native civs.

Not necessarily, yes Africa were colonize later on, but it was one of the most heavily colonized continents, so for maps and tribes it shouldn’t be a problem.

As for main african civs, kingdoms like etiopia and south Africa tribes dealed a lot of problems to european colonization, so for sure something is possible.

Well I don’t think that incas will have cavalry or gunpowder, one thing is to have/steal metal/steel weapons, another is to learn how to ride a horse or how to use a rifle (or a xbows, since probably at the time were still more used).

However, at least maybe there is hope for more European civs and battles.

Actually if you watch closely, the two units at the right are Inca, probably the huaminca and the maceman while the ones with rifles one of them has a cian piece of clothing in his leg, there might actually be gunpowder units or mercenaries/natives that the incas have access to.
image image

2 Likes

Probably those are either tribes soldier/mercenarys, or simply there are some swedes (or other europeans) units mixed in.

I’d seen it too, but it seems to me that the other player had those units as well, so it could be mercenary units. However, I would see the Incas as excellent with gunpowder, this is because according to some research books it is explained that Spaniards (captured by Manco Inca) taught the Incas to make their own gunpowder, other sources even affirm that the Incas they cast small bronze cannons, and the “Almagristas” used to have good terms with their Inca allies (the surviving Almagristas from the Battle of Chupas even took refuge in the Chanca Territory and were the ancestors of the “Morochucos” or Andean cowboys). What seems curious to me is that in the trailer, in an Inca town, a European cannon appears.

I know that many do not know how to speak Spanish, but here is a documentary that explains very well the Inca warfare against the Spanish.

4 Likes

there where several “inca” revolts later on, could be these represent some of those people?

While later on there may have been some occasional use of the gunpowder or horses, those wouldn’t represent the norm or the incas standard army.

However here is a video of the Inca spanish war in english, for those like me who doesn’t speak spanish: :sweat_smile:

Those gunpowder soldiers actually makes me hope for some European map, and so some European “tribe”, like the smallest countries (for example several pieces of the HRE) that could give you European soldiers.

So maybe that simply a random European map with an Inca player, or those are mercenary units, or maybe a team home city card of an European ally.