Pre-launch Poll

Np! Thank you.
Glad you enjoyed it.

I am new and here :slight_smile:

I think it looks good, I am an avid gamer and I have pre-ordered and look forward to playing it casually to asses how good it is and if the devs\mods plan to update\patch the game as we move forward, ie the zoom feature, hot keys, etc etcā€¦

5 Likes

Welcome to the insider/ forum and Age of Empires community fellow AoE player

1 Like

Or those people arenā€™t hanging around the AOE4 forums.

In every video the number of likes, dislikes, and comments are significantly lower than the number of viewers overall. The best indicator for interest is retention across multiple videos from the same source.

You can see during the stess test on Spirit of the Laws AOE4 a massive spike in his viewership to 500k +, then it declined to ~300k over a few days. Note that the AOE4 videos are not SOTL most viewed videos of all timeā€¦

I would interpret this as a fairly lukewarm reception. Itā€™s not the absolute worse, though. A retention of 50% is pretty good but generally you would expect higher on a new title.

Most people watch his videos for the analysis and mythbusting content.
Pretty much all of his Aoe IV videos were just gameplay or ā€œfirst impressionsā€
so I wouldnā€™t use his channel as a way to gauge Aoe ivā€™s performance tbh.

For example take a look at Aussie drongoā€™s channel:

His Aoe 3 content:

VS his Aoe IV content:

The views on some videos have risen 10x the amount.
Donā€™t get me wrong, I like his aoe 3 content. But it is also unmistakable that Aoe IV is more popular on his channel now.

4 Likes

I only watch him for AOE IV stuff anyways. Never heard of him till AOE IV

5 Likes

I donā€™t mention Drongoā€™s channel intentionally. Simply: heā€™s relatively new and is still establishing himself - so he had a small following and therefore the promotion of a new game is bound to bring up his viewership.

Trump SC could be an example if you prefer: he is established and posted only game content. His viewership went up and then dropped sharply.

Also might I ask, what SOTL videos were you talking about?

His Aoe IV videos have insane views.

But isnā€™t this likely because the stress test lasted one weekend? There was a limited amount of content produced by these two, whereas Drongo has been consistently putting out AoE4 videos. SotL put out two or three videos, and i dont think the majority are going to continually watch the same videos over and over.

This doesnt make much sense, a more established content creator is going to have more for viewers to return to after being introduced to the channel, SotL especially. I think the two largest groups who watch those videos are people into the older games who know the creator, and those who only found the creator due to AoE4 and dont have much interest in the older games.

Age Of Empiresā€™ official youtube channel as well gets regularly 160-180k views on their weekly gameplay vids (the VODs produce little interest tho), it does seem to spike on videos showcasing civs we havent heard much about.

This is my speculation of course.

2 Likes

Yup, welcome to the forum @IceI87 I am glad you like the game. Letā€™s hope that all the feature are added later that we wished for. :+1:

2 Likes

Even that number is because it is new and hasnā€™t launched yet. So people are still curious. They also watch to check if there are improvements. but after the launch, since the gameplay is not very interesting, there is a high possibility that views will drop.