Proposal for a new civilization. (Aoe 2 DE))

They dont have access to firegalley, firegalley counters WG and you also need to research a tech that is not instant and its even more painful in a dock bcos you could be producing fishing ships, thats the downside. Thats like fighting pikeman with cav in land, just imagine it, cav is just a bit stronger in this case to compensate.

i can change it to ¨hit and run tactics¨ but guerilla just sounds better tbh and btw thats how the early aragonese army worked. Guerrillas as a thing existed in the peninsula since the preroman era, they were not invented in the napoleonic wars. The lusitanian and some celtiberian tribes used this kind of warfare to fight the romans.

I wanted to give them hand cart, but think about it. Cheaper and faster vils if you research all barrack techs, I think that bonus compensates the lack of hand cart.

in all cases you dont want your army to die even if the give back 45% of the gold, this just makes the loss of that units less painful (like saracen monks), plus the ship regen is a team bonus. I can include ships in the exception but i tough that with the lack of strong heavy cav it would be a bad bonus. I can increase it to 50% and dont include ships.

The sicilians are represented by the italians and the burgundians by the franks so it could be possible. Btw portugal during the middle ages wasnt as different from castile(spain) than aragon.

Absolutely Bohemians were under the teutons and lithuanian tech tree is mainly poland.

I don’t haye the proposal but I do agree that it’s a bit overpowered. I’d either remove the healing ships bonus or make it so they can only heal when near the player’s docks (like with AoE3 ships)

Feudal fires don’t counter castle age WG. Test it if you want, but in a realistic scenario, it doesn’t happen.

Usually, you train fires in feudal just for defense, you train just the minimum amount for protecting fishing and go to castle age. Fires take more to train, and are more gold intensive (so it slow your castle time) while galleys are more easy to mass.

Even if you remove fires all together, the bonus is still strong. Again, one of the best water civ (the vikings) doesn’t even have fires, and that’s because massing groups of 5 galleys is one of the most common and strong strategies. With WG you would need just 4 galleys and fletching, so you would be able to move out sooner.

Oh and researching WG actually takes less than training a galley, so the meta would be: train 4 galleys and while you reach the opponent side, you research WG, and it would be faster than simply massing 5 galleys. Of course at the same time you get fletching, because you can since the WG tech is cheaper.

I mean, if you can’t see how broken this is, I don’t have much to add…

Oh and a last thing, you can’t keep comparing water meta to land meta. The latter have way more depth than the former, so each of them need to be analyzed in their own context.

I mean, the civ itself isn’t bad, but it’s needs balance, some bonuses are OP, some are borderline useless. Tweak them a bit until you get a balanced civ.

5 WG vs 5 Fg in feudal age. (Patrolling them.)

Results:

Fg- units lost 2, units killed 5
Wg- units lost 5 units killed 2

Fg wins

it says castle age but in the scenario editor you need to be at castle age to get all feudal age tech, in imp to get all castle age techs and post imp for all imperial techs.

ofc you can compare them, the counter sistem works here as well.

-Water: Demo ships counter Fireships, Galley line counter demo ships and Fireships counter galley line.

-Land: Cav(fireships) counters archers(galley), archers(galley) counter pikeman(demoships) and pikeman(demoships) counters cav(fireships).

You just need to change the skin, add some unique units and other situational units(champions, squirms, mangonels,…) and change the stats.

Oh look at that. Zero micro used. That’s totally going to be fair. Also. Mix in 1 demo ship with those war valleys and laugh your way to the bank.

2 Likes

we are talking about WG and Fireships, that argument doesnt work here.

And btw tested 5 demoships and 5 WG vs 5 firegalleys and 5 galleys(feudal age).Results:
-Demo ships and WG; units lost 5 and 5.
-Fire galleys and galleys: units lost 5 fireships and 1 galley.

Feudal age generic composition won( 4 generic galleys survived). All of this patroling like the last one. Micro in this case will benefit the generic comp since FG tend to group when patrolling and receiving all splash dmg.

Maybe make their War Galleys weaker in Feudal age (a bit stronger than base Galleys but nowhere near as strong as generic War Galleys) then give them a boost in Castle age to make them on par with other civs’ War Galleys?

That way they get the War Galley on Feudal like you want without being too OP like other people said.

Thanks for nothing… without micro in a a editor setting…

The fire player has no drawback on massing fires in feudal, because eco isn’t fractured. WG basically fight at 1v1, they don’t focus fire and don’t retreat, all things that are done in a standard game.

I mean, do you want to give them a water bonus, give them free WG tech as they hit castle age. Or give them early careening (but at full price).

Oh yeah, you just have a ton of other units and bonuses.

The meta is completely different on land. You can go all in in feudal, go FC, boom, go fast imp. Then scout, archer, knights, trash, monk and siege…

yes, WG are now weaker in feudal age ty.

You are right, Spain as a country didn’t exist until 1714. Before that Hispanic kingdoms remained sepparate and developed their own empires. A lot of people are looking forward to seeing this new civ.

This thread is almost 2 years old

1 Like