Purchase Age of Empires: Definitive Edition on Steam, the Windows Store, and Xbox Game Pass for PC (Beta) today!

We’re happy to announce the arrival of Age of Empires: Definitive Edition on Steam and Xbox Game Pass for PC (Beta), now featuring cross-network play between the Windows 10 and Steam platforms. We believe that if you’re a fan of Age of Empires, you’re part of our family, and that means we want you all playing together, no matter where you choose to game from.

You can pick up Age of Empires: Definitive Edition on Steam or the Microsoft Store for $19.99 USD. If you’re a subscriber to Xbox Game Pass for PC (Beta), you’ll love to hear that Age DE has arrived for members — a strong addition for those of you looking to add a little “stone age through medieval times” strategy to your life:

For more information, visit the official announcement over on Xbox Wire.

We’ll see you on the battlefield!

4 Likes

If I buy the Steam AOE:DE can I play it single-player without logging into Xbox Game Pass?

You can! You don’t have to log into Xbox Live if you’ve purchased the game on Steam and want to play single player. Simply launch the game, select ‘Single Player,’ then ‘Campaigns,’ and start your journey!

Alright, so hopefully this finds the right people in an effort to clarify some things. I purchased all 3(and yes i bought the xbox game pass too), not because I had to, but because i wanted to confirm the results of cross platform. Lets face it, Microsoft hasn’t been very reliable when it comes to certain things with this game. Please note today’s date as maybe they have fixed what I am about to show.
I compared lobbies at the exact same time from both platforms (Steam and PC) on two separate PC’s.
So far, this game is not cross platform. You can say it is all you want, but the lobbies just are not the same.
I hit refresh lobby simultaneously on both PC’s.
Results from PC:

This is from the steam version:

Listen, I think I speak for everyone when I say this… if you advertise something, and people pay money expecting to get whats advertised… then maybe you should do just that instead of trying to capitalize on an already dwindling AOE:DE community due to false advertising and rushing inadequate coding. Please be more transparent, i understand that there will always be issues at launch… but i speak for the entirety of the community when i say this is unacceptable.

That doesnt change the point that STEAM should show all lobbies across all platforms. That is what was advertised. That is not what was given. what we were given was loose instructions to another pc client that takes having to search for it instead of providing it easily. People arent leaving the pc version because there is not clear enough instructions to the free PC client. Instead, they put a xbox game pass advertisement in there instead of linking to the new free PC client. How about we bring the communities of all platforms together without tricking individual’s into buying something they don’t need. This is my point… to bring awareness to this issue. I understand what you are saying, but the majority does not.

Hey there @Dis666guise! Thank you for the report! On Tuesday we released a new update (Build 28218 to address some of the initial issues preventing people from playing the game.

Unfortunately, there was an issue which has delayed the release the same build to the Microsoft Store version of the game. This resulted in the build being delayed (which is still the case), causing a mis-match between the two game clients. This is why the games cannot currently play cross-platform, and is [hopefully] an isolated incident as the team works to implement important fixes to major issues.

As soon as the Microsoft Store version is updated, you should see all lobbies from both clients. If that is NOT the case, please let us know and I’ll be sure that information is escalated to the team.

All of that said: we will have the Windows Store version updated as soon as we are able! Stay tuned, and thank you for your patience!

To follow up, Build 28218 has now been released in the Microsoft Store, effectively “fixing” cross-platform play between the two versions. Please make sure you update your game app to verify that all lobbies are showing up properly.

Thank you for your patience, and enjoy! =)