Purely for fun speculation on future civ additions for AOE2 DE

There are another mods that are pretty good to take inspiration (Like the Improvement Mod and the Napoleonic Era, and one of the NE devs works with FE).

Neither do I say so.

Yes please they can add a separate mode for civs from the Wars of Liberty.

(note: I am not opposing fixing the current issues :cheaters and bugs :smiley:)

If we have learnt anything about AOE2, it is that ā€œMore the civs the betterā€.
There is nothing to lose with more and more civs covering more and more of the world.

For the LONG TERM, The game must go on, and people should be entertained with new stuff, thatā€™s what matters.
NOT disputes over historical similarities between civs
OR over why this or that civ is insignificant.

I hereby propose 65 total civilizations for the long term of AOE2 by the time the last expansion arrives.
These 30 New Civs is the least number I can be satisfied with. Once we reach this milestone, no one will feel some group is excluded and everyone will become satisfied and love the game!

I will try to be as neutral in my civ additions as possible and everyone will get representation.
P.S. Please do not oppose this on the bases of ā€œAI namesā€ , remember that Mongols once had Tatar AI names and Editor Heroes too
List by architecture set from west to east.

Native American - Aruacans, Mapuche
Western European - Burgundians, Dutch
Central European - Finns, Swiss, Bohemians
Eastern European - Poles, Georgians, Armenians
Mediterranean - Croatians, Vlachs
African - Songhais, Swahilis, Congolese
Middle Eastern - Nubians
Central Asian - Afghans
South Asian - Palas, Marathas, Kannads, Tamils, Sinhalese, Oriyas
South-East Asian - Siamese, Polynesians
East Asian - Jurchens, Tibetans, Tanguts, Khitans, Taiwanese

This will make the game amazingly addicting and allow it to depict the whole medieval world in its vibrant colours, without leaving any group behind.

ANSWER TO TYPICAL COMPLAINTS : Those who will complain of ā€œbalancing 65 civs will be so hardā€ etc, remember that we already have as many as 35 civs, and they are being well balanced, it shows how even after doubling the number of civs, we can still handle all of them and balance very effectively! TheViper said the game is at its best in balance despite having double the civs.

Those who complain of ā€œToo much changeā€, ā€œToo ambitiousā€, donā€™t forget the AOE2 scene was dying before the Forgotten team revived it, and that was by ONLY ONE method, by bringing more civs to represent more prople.

Geographical locations for some of the more difficult to understand civs :

Mapuche - South Chile chief rival of Incas,
Aruacans - Caribbean(the ones Columbus found, within Aoe2 period)
Nubians - Inland Egypt + Sudan (not covered by Berbers or Saracens, but still Middle Eastern architecture),
Vlachs - Romanians (with Roman-esque architecture),
Swahilis - Tanzania+Mozambique, Different from the Congolese(Congo delta),
Khitans - Independent ethnic group between Mongols and Chinese,
Tanguts - Gansu + Xinjiang Province, Independent ethnic group between Tatars and Chinese
NOT covered by current Indians list :
Palas - East India + Bangladesh + Northeast India(Asom), look at the size of this uncovered area,
Marathas - Central India (Deccan Plateau + Gujarat + Chandela) enemy of Muslims and Delhi Sultanate(current Indians), guerllia warfare for centuries vs them,
Kannads - Vijayanagara (SW India) rivals of Tamils, and also huge GDP,
Oriyas - Orissa (Central East India) Completely Independent ethnicity since forever (Kalingas),
Tamils - Chola (SE India) rivals of Kannads, and also huge GDP,
Sinhalese - Sri Lanka, obviously independent ethnicity, and also very significant with huge GDP,
Afghans - NOT covered by Persians, Indians or Saracens (Persians does have an afghan AI name, but really, is that enough to do justice to this civ??? Mongols had Tatar AI names too). Far more significant in Middle ages than it is today, as today 50% of it is under Pakistan.

NOTE 1 (ā€œINDIAā€) : Current ā€œIndiansā€ effectively only covers Northwest India (Rajputs+Mughals=Delhi Sultanate). It does not attempt to cover Bengal, Assam(NE India), Sri Lanka, Tamils, Vijayanagara Empire(Kannads) or the Deccan (Marathas) who were all entirely independent empires and ethnicities. India did not exist, not in anyoneā€™s hearts.

NOTE 2 (ā€œCHINAā€) : Current Chinese also, similarly, only covers Eastern China , and does not attempt to cover Manchuria (Jurchens), Inner Mongolia (Khitans) , Taiwan, or Gansu + Xinjiang (Tanguts)

NOTE 3 (Why is Bantu missing?) : Because Swahili and Congolese are Bantu peoples.

NOTE 4 (Why is Iroquois missing?) : Iroquois founded in 16th century, out of aoe2 period.

7 Likes

The game is a mess right now. What matters is having s functional, bug-free, cheaters-free, multiplayer-able game. Everything else is secondary. No new content should be added until most of this stuff is fixed

18 Likes

The thing is that I agree with both @Parthnan and @OliveCereal4714.

The game needs to work yet it canā€™t remain stale forever. Thatā€™s why I think weā€™re getting those events even though they seem to break more the game than adding something of value longterm.

They should focus on meaningful content instead of fluff. Skins are forgotten pretty fast.

6 Likes

This thread is for the LONG TERM.
Donā€™t worry I am not opposing fixing cheaters and bugs :smiley:
Fine? :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Donā€™t get me wrong, i would like some extra civs and stuff, but for now I personally think is fruitless to discuss such things with current state of game

You will be crossed :wink:

Dutch and Swiss are Western European.
Bohemians and Poles are Central European.
Georgians and Armenians are Caucasian, between Europe and Asia.

1 Like

Game was literally over 10 years old before HD and people were still playing it, i am not worried about it going stale.

the game is much more diverse then it was for those 10 years, with the addition of monthly events giving unique rewards, and updates to balance.

I do agree new civs would be nice, but there is such a thing as too much at the same time.

2 Likes

7 years since HD first came out and we still donā€™t have all the civs balanced. how long will it take to balance another 30 on top of that?

Oh, and water balance is a joke right now.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve read somewhere, I donā€™t remember where to be honest, that most pros were considering leaving this game before Forgotten Empires.

It started to become stale and Hun wars were the only thing happening on Arabia. On water, it wasnā€™t any better with Viking wars with galleys only.

3 Likes

and thats likely true, the game was 15 years old at that point. every game has a shelf life. and why i am not against adding new civs, campaigns, historic battles, etc. what i am against, is adding 30 new civs at the drop of a hat.

which is exactly why i have no problem with continued balance changes and anything that can be done to shake up the water meta and its Vikings vs Italians Wars.

2 Likes

Agree with both of your points. I really want to see Berbers and Portuguese too among another few.

1 Like

youā€™ve seen my ideas for balance and they touch on water balance a lot.

1 Like

Hope theyā€™ll improve the meta on this regard.

Then youre attacking a strawman yet again
Because this thread is not about adding 30 civs in a one single expansion

am i? if i was, why were you the one talking about

so yeah, it sure seems to me like youā€™re talking about adding 30 civs at once.
but yeah, iā€™m totally straw manning and not taking you at your word.

Didnā€™t you read this? Itā€™s right in the beginning half

Fixed it, Bohemians in Central and Dutch in Western
As for the Caucasian civs, there is no existing seperate Architecture, so the Eastern European slavic architecture was closest