Random civ picking the same civ as another player with particular civ

:arrow_forward: GAME INFORMATION

• BUILD #: 42848
  • PLATFORM: Steam

:arrow_forward: ISSUE EXPERIENCED

It looks like there are people saying this is not a bug, but a feature. I think this is a bug because there are random and full random options. Or at least, this is counter-intuitive. A team with two or more players with the same civ is in disadvantage

Random civ not working as expected.
I was expecting random civ to ensure an unique civ (without repetition), even counting payers picking a specific civ.
However, I picked particular civ (Mayans) , teammate picked random civ (NOT full random). The result, we both were mayans. (ranked random map).
I don’t know if random civ can also pick the same as an enemy with a particular civ.

What is expected by me:
Random should ensure the civ is not repeated. In particular within the same team.
Full random should pick any civ, no matter if it repeates or not.

:arrow_forward: FREQUENCY OF ISSUE

I have seen it occur only one time. I can’t know if it happens everytime or sometimes as there is a random component in this.
I have seen an enemy team with a civ repeated, now I’m thinking the same thing happened to them.

:arrow_forward: REPRODUCTION STEPS

I can’t ensure this will reproduce the issue, I guess one should try and try and try and with enought luck, random will repeate a civ.

Here’s the steps I remember that lead to two players with mayans:

1. Enter ranked game
  2. Invite your friends to the party.
  3. One of you should choose a civ. (Mayans?)
  4. Another one pick random
  5. Click on find match
  6. Wait, and maybe, sometimes, the random player gets the save civ as a teammate.

:arrow_forward: GAME FILES

:arrow_forward: IMAGE & ATTACHMENTS

4 Likes

Happy one year anniversary for this bug too! :rofl:

1 Like

Technically this bug is as old as the game, even as old as AoE1, so more like 23rd anniversary at this point.

The current behavior is consistent with the original behavior: if at least one player picks a civ, then another player who selects Random civ also has a chance of receiving that civ.

I agree, particularly with the inclusion of the “Full Random” option, that it would make sense to change this behavior, so that choosing Random would prevent repeats even with explicit civ picks.