Ranked Matchmaking - MAP VETOing

If ranked custom games aren’t coming back, which I completely agree with personally…

There should be a way to veto 2-3 maps we don’t want to play on from the map pool in the Ranked Game Search screen.

Some maps create a bit of an imbalance depending on the civ you’re playing. It would be nice to be able to veto them.

5 Likes

Call me crazy, but if you don’t like a certain map, or want to play a certain map… Why not play custom?

Oh wait… We can’t because elo isn’t gained in custom which disincentivizes it heavily. Amazing.

I think eliminating 2-3 maps from the pool is a much better compromise than outright picking your best map. It’s also more fun in my opinion, going into a game without knowing what map you’re gonna be playing on and adapting to it.

I used to play against some people that never ever played anything other than their best map which sort of inflates people’s ELO and becomes unfun when they use CIVs that have a clear advantage on that map.

3 Likes

I used to play against some people that never ever played anything other than their best map which sort of inflates people’s ELO and becomes unfun when they use CIVs that have a clear advantage on that map.

The funny thing is with the current system only otto, india and very situationally germans/sioux/russia are meta.

You play anything else and you’ll never climb ‘to your skill level’, becuase almost almost all the maps disincentivize anything other than a age 2 rush. Only really Deccan and arguably a one or two other maps allow for min a 7min peak, instead of age 2 only rush in 2v2/3v3.

This was why custom was better and everyone loved it for 15 years on TAD, along with five or six other reasons which I detail in other posts.

everyone loved it

That’s a very bold statement to make.

I see where you’re coming from but you have to realize that the original AoE3 is dated by today’s design standards. And offering both quick match and custom game ranked would fracture the community leading to long queue times.

This is like AoE2 players complaining that AoE3 does something differently from AoE2. It’s natural for games to evolve so they can appeal to a wider fanbase rather than the same like <1500 people that still played it.

2 Likes

I believe It is a need to be able to Veto maps at least 3 This is seen in Starcraft2. Where you can veto 3 maps and you won’t ever get matched on these. Brings fairness. It could be an option added to the current queue system.

I’m not sure. But I believe There is a Veto system in current AOE2 DE as well

4 Likes

lets not have the lobby vs QS discussion here, since there are already multiple threads dedicated to the topic.

Think map-veto is a good idea. Then the map pool can be more diverse without triggering anybody.

2 Likes

Agreed, people seem to think that lobby ranked fixes everything but it doesn’t. And from what I’ve noticed it’s just a couple of very vocal people.

some maps are really bad when the trade route prevents more than 10% of the area that would be used by the player in their buildings.

Please developers find us a way to veto maps. there are maps that are not enjoyable to play on.

1 Like