Ranked mmr?

so 2 seasons ago i posted about how i have never played a single opponent lower than me. I just played my 5 ranked games to get ranked but this time i did not play a single opponent even in my league? i was diamond 2 seasons ago, last season went 1-7 in ranked cuz i didnt play as much and my mmr musta been the same as that season. now this time i went 2-3 (one win cuz the dude literally left 2 mins in) I got placed gold3 and didnt face a single gold opponent all 5 games. I went to queue up after getting my gold rank and got yet another diamond. a diamond2. Its rather disheartening to lose every single game and thats why i never play ranked. i know there is a low player base but most people are rated gold no? so how do i never even get a gold opponent? I dont play enough to play perfect in order to beat people above me, so give me an opponent my rank so i can have a chance of winning or at least have fun playing the game? i guess i just dont get it… any advice other than playing 50 games and losing all of them to tank my mmr to get opponents my league?

I believe they put you against opponents closer to your elo than your ranked MMR. The numbers should be closer but your elo looks to be 1300, which is diamond MMR. I am gold and my MMR is 787 and my elo is 818. The MMR is about to rest again in a couple of days but your elo never gets reset. You can search for your name on aoe4 world.com to see elo and all kind of cools stars from your games. Your elo will correct and you will start to play opponents closer to your MMR and elo shortly I believe. Hope that helps.

so my overall ranked is 16/10 all time in 1v1 and that means ill only play diamonds until i keep losing? even tho 11 of those games are from 2 years ago? mmr never resets? lmao!

Basically what you see ingame,(points) is what makes your rank.
Bronze, Silver, …, Conqueror.

The ELO is not visible in the game, but can be seen on aoe4 world, if you check your profile.

For all queues, the Elo is independend,1v1, 2v2, 3v3, 4v4.
Which is confusing, because all the team queues (2v2/3v3/4v4) share the same rank and points.
Hence a lot of times seemingly uneven matchups are but together in the lobby.
The rank seems a lot, but the elo is mostly close.
If you play let’s say tons of 2v2 ranked and you keep winning, you might be a virtual conqueror there.
At some point you’ll get a high rank, that anyone can see on your profile.
But your elo for 3v3 and 4v4 is still low because you haven’t played that.
So when you start the 3v3/4v4 queue, the system treats you as a newbie and places you against low elo players.
They again, may or may not be high/low ranks according to team ranked points.
For the same reason, people who play lots of 2v2 and are very experienced and skill players there, casually join a 4v4 with their super low elo and get matched against goldies, silvers and bronzies and completely crush them without even trying.
It can of course also be the other way arround.
Plus, you’ll already see in the lobby that they are Dia/Conq and ask yourself why you get matched vs them.

Now to your question:
Your ELO never resets (as far as I know), but your rank and rank points do.
For both 1v1 and team.
If you have a decent 1v1 Elo, for example 1250 (which is basically the center of Diamond 1), you will get matched with players of the same elo.
So if you lose lets say 4 matches in your placements and win only 1, your new rank would probably be Platinum or even gold.
But your elo is still very high, as it just changes by a few points per match, no matter if it’s a placement match, regular match, new season, old season…
If you keep losing then, the ELO will slowly catch up and the difference between rank points and elo will slowly shrink, until they are similar.
The bright side is, since your elo is still high, you get better oponents and every win gives you a large amount of rank points if you win (for example you being in Gold, them being Diamond), lose a small amount of rank points if you loose vs higher ranked players than yours (again, not elo!).
Plus you learn quickly because the oponents play well and punish your mistakes more and you can watching the replays and improve your own play, as well as understand how to counter theirs.

If you have been Diamond before, you’ll quickly get back there if you win about half of your matches.
Because you are still being matched with people of your elo and unless you start losing tons of matches, your elo will remain about as high.
You are in Gold and win 5 matches vs Diamond and lose 5
→ Your elo stays about same, your rank gets a big boost.

1 Like

Yeah I don’t play enough to actually win and gain more points and not going to play my one game every few days just to lose, looks like I’ll just never play ranked lmao :confused: I’m a nomad custom gamer for life

Well about the disbalance in the picks, it may be because those were “The last days of the Season”

So you can see: "The Ranked give prizes at the end of the Season, right?, but one also want to keeps in their profile the best ranked level they can get before “X” season ended.

It happens that there are people, (myself included) who want to stay with the best possible rank before the season ends, and know that due to work hours they will not be able to give themselves 20 hours or 10 more hours to try for a higher rank, " because it is dangerous" and you could lose ELO. So, for that reason:

"They maintain the best rank they obtanied and dont try more ranked until the Season end.

For this reason, during the last days of the ranked, only the dedicated people who have nothing to lose and want to see if they can reach diamond 1, platinum 1 or gold 1, have remained to obtain more prizes before the time is over.

You have met many of them, that is why the selection is very limited these last few days, and you can get anything, from diamond or platinum… and conquerors that want to open a new channel on twitch.

Of course, the good thing about taking the first 5 ranked every season is that it gives you access to several special TAUNTS, and the “basic” prizes for having participated.

Don’t be disappointed: Ranked is generally played by people who have made an effort to create “Builds” with certain favorite civs, or with civs they believe are the most optimal, and want to "Test their level" with other players, in addition to enjoying a “Difficult Game”. For this reason, It very normal to find people with a better level than you.

When i lose in Ranked, I like to think the next:

• “What did I fail at? What were my oversights? and what could I do to improve and be like Beasty?”

• Because I always remember Beasty and how he can play with ALL the civs and win, why can’t I Could I do it too, or even better?

At least from the ranked I learned many tips:

• 1.- Some civs work better in team games than in 1v1.
  • 2.- Some civs have better Feudal Rush than others, or even lack it.
  • 3.- Although there are neutral markets, it is not always good to trade, and in fact there are civs that are better for it, and others are not.
  • 4.- Shortcut keys with “Vitals”, especially to Select All Military Units, Iddle Villagers, All Static Military, Resource Camps, Monks, Officers, Military Buildings, etc.
  • 5.- Practice Optimal Builds.
  • 6.- There are maps where the distribution of sheep is closer to certain geographical features and one can take better advantage of it.
  • 7.- ETC

For example, the hard way I learned how to counter the English with the HRE was thanks to Ranked. It took me a lot of practice in 1vs1 Quick Games, but I finally did the same but in Ranked aggainst english players.

Finally remember that the best thing is TO HAVE FUN:

• Unlike LOL (Leage of Legends), in AoE IV 1vs1 most encounters are cordial, and can end in GG on both sides if they respect each other enough.

• Of course: Ranked 1vs1 can also be heavy if one is only there for the prizes. If you believe that you should improve your level without so much ELO pressure, quick games (Quick Games) 1vs1 are the best option, because you can even apologize to your rival and tell him that they are calling you to lunch, and say goodbye, it is not at all nothing serious, it’s a game, and there is no ELO involved.

I appreciate your reply and understand all that you are saying, maybe I will play earlier in the season then. I just really don’t like how I didn’t even get a single person my rank let alone someone below me. Everyone I matched with went into the game with relief of “oh I’m likely better than this guy” like not a single person my rank is just so disheartening. If I had time to play more and got used to 1v1 and didn’t have ranked anxiety which I never have on any game except this cuz maybe it’s the only time I get to 1v1 I don’t know and I like playing with ppl and teams it’s less stressful. Just wish I could have a single game where I could say “yeah this is a fair match”