Relic Bug

Relics should be an item that remains permanent on a map like in Age of Empires 2. For example: When relics are garrisoned in a monastery and the monastery is destroyed, the relics are dropped and able to be reclaimed. The current state of the game of Age of Empires 4, when relics are stored in a landmark building and the building is destroyed, the relics disappear forever. The same as when a monk is holding a relic in a transport ship and the ship is destroyed while at sea, the relics are gone forever. While this would make sense in real life, it does not work well for gameplay as the relics are a source for income for end game and vital for different factions economies and research.

2 Likes

Does sound like a bug, it doesn’t make sense to implement a whole win condition around it if it can be destroyed.

You can probabaly even do that on-demand, like deleting yor Monastery? If you destroy all relics then the only win condition is Landmarks, so a player can wall off and turtle, which is what sacred sites try to avoid.

I tested it as well by deleting my own units for example when they are at sea in a transport, does the same thing. Definitely repeatable. I’ve seen it in every game I have played so far with 25.3 hours of gameplay and 90% of it being custom games.

I don’t know . When my opponent destroyed my monastery I could pick up the relics again

1 Like

Well currently there is no win condition associated with relics, but I agree it seems like a bug (for the buildings at least).

1 Like

The bug is not with the monastery buildings. It is with landmark buildings that can hold relics (for example the roman cathedral) and when being transported in naval units. Try it. Put the relics in a landmark building that is capable of housing them and then have someone destroy it, you will see. I did not test destroying my own landmark building with relics inside it however, but based on what I have seen, that should also duplicate it.

2 Likes

Ohh I see. I misread, my bad sorry

Wait I thought you need relics to capture sacred sites? My bad then… still think it’s a bug though

1 Like

Just need a monk. You do need relics to do conversions (except Abbasid unique tech).

1 Like

in campaign for franks on quest to retake normandy - there is relic on map, i went to pick it up and store it for gold + upgrade for other resources and in this mission i can’t store that relic at all i tried store it manually but he just drop it near at monastery and it’s bugged because i can’t pick it up again i must destroy monastery and then i can pick it up again… i dont think that is how it should work in mission and i think that’s another bug with relic… anyone had same issue ? or could try it ? :slight_smile:

I’ve encountered this bug too on HRE docks.

Bug on title. Happens consistently.

More details, this happened last on Archipelago map.

Thanks for the report all, we’ve forwarded this to the team.

1 Like